Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.30.2017, 07:08 PM   #21761
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Godard is great when your young. He’s like reading the Beats. Soon you see that beneath all the flash there’s not really much there. I have a major soft spot for films like Pierrot le fou, Contempt and Vivre sa vie because they were the first “art house” films I got into but they don’t rank as high anymore. I think he theorized way too much about the criteria needed to be an artist before he bothered trying to be one. And most of his “innovations” aren’t really innovative after you watch a few of the great silent classics... Did anyone see the 3D film he put out? It looked batshit.

It’s funny Truffaut is being argued now. I’ve got 400 Blows in rotation just to give Truffaut another chance. I haven’t seen it in a looooong time and it is about time to reevaluate.

Last film I watched: The White Sheik. Fellini’s first solo feature. Never thought I’d see a boring Fellini film but now I have. But what can I say it still had hints of that great Fellini humor and a fun cameo from Masina as a prostitute that would end up being Cabiria in the great Nights of Cabiria.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.30.2017, 07:27 PM   #21762
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
The Fugitive is a classic.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 03:55 PM   #21763
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Last film I watched: The White Sheik. Fellini’s first solo feature. Never thought I’d see a boring Fellini film but now I have. But what can I say it still had hints of that great Fellini humor and a fun cameo from Masina as a prostitute that would end up being Cabiria in the great Nights of Cabiria.

Fellini could certainly get boring later on. City of Women? But yeah, it's rare in that period. Have you seen I Vitelloni? I love that one but it rarely gets mentioned.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 04:19 PM   #21764
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i liked lo sceicco bianco

i think broadway danny rose copied it?

eta: sorta

see?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 06:16 PM   #21765
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Fellini could certainly get boring later on. City of Women? But yeah, it's rare in that period. Have you seen I Vitelloni? I love that one but it rarely gets mentioned.

Ha! I still haven’t seen any post-Amarcord but one day I’ll get around to it.

I LOVE I Vitteloni. Very underrated and I can relate to it 100%. I tear up everytime. It is actually a weird tradition that I tend to watch it every New Year’s Eve as sort of a cleanse of the old and inspiration to be better I guess.
Old 10.31.2017, 06:18 PM   #21766
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i liked lo sceicco bianco

i think broadway danny rose copied it?

eta: sorta

see?

Yikes! Apparently To Rome With Love has a similar story? Idk just read it on wikipedia. I’m not much of a Woody fan at all.
Old 10.31.2017, 06:33 PM   #21767
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Sweet and Lowdown is La Strada.

Plus 8 1/5 and Stardust Memories, you know.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2017, 06:44 PM   #21768
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i’ve seen 2 of his post 70s

the one about the orchestra (prova d’orchesta, i think it’s called) and the one about the ship... the ship sails on?

i liked them both

prova d’orchesta (forgive my spelling if it sucks) is hilarious.

and the ship sails on (?) was good too. not amazing great or anything but i’d definitely rewatch it. thought i can’t remember much of it ha ha ha. lots of people on a boat. like titanic but better xD
Old 10.31.2017, 06:46 PM   #21769
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I don’t know most of these movies you guys. Makin’ me feel dumb AF.

Fugitive, now that’s cinema!
Old 10.31.2017, 06:54 PM   #21770
Severian
invito al cielo

^ Recently rewatched “City of Lost Children,” and goddammit, it’s still one of my favorite movies. Not top of the heap, but still great. I think “Delicatessen” might be better as far as Jeunet films go (or even “Amelie”) but it’s been forever since I last saw that. I just know it left a pretty big impression.

Not many folks realize that Jean-Pierre Jeunet actually directed “Alien Resurrection” of all fucking things. Probably why that one feels like it has a genuine craft to it in terms of direction and cinematography, even if the story is meh. It’s definiely the best of the post-“Aliens” sequels — excluding “Prometheus” of course.
But is that weird or what? That Jeunet would attempt to crossover into American cinema with fucking a flippin’ ALIEN sequel.

Had he directed a script by, say, Wes Anderson, then I think that shit would Haagen STUCK. Anderson’s Jeunet influence is obvious as fuck, and together they could have probably done some amazing things.

(I watch foreign stuff too sometimes)
Old 10.31.2017, 07:12 PM   #21771
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh hell yes city of lost children was great

i don’t remember delicatessen so much but check out MICMACS. which is hilarious and rewatchable.
Old 10.31.2017, 10:43 PM   #21772
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don’t know most of these movies you guys. Makin’ me feel dumb AF.

Fugitive, now that’s cinema!

Ha! No hating on the Fugitive here. It’s got Tommy Lee Jones!

https://youtu.be/p7FyZgvjW0Y

Speaking of “The Fugitive” - demonrail I know your a John Ford fan, have you seen this one? I’ve never met anyone who I could talk to about it.
Old 11.11.2017, 02:09 AM   #21773
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
PCU, because fuck yeah.
Old 11.11.2017, 05:51 AM   #21774
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Speaking of “The Fugitive” - demonrail I know your a John Ford fan, have you seen this one? I’ve never met anyone who I could talk to about it.

I've only seen it once, a pretty worn out VHS copy. I remember it feeling quite slow, quite 'European'. More like My Darling Clementine than, say, Stagecoach. I don't remember much besides that, though.

Recently watched ...

Beautiful Darling

Great, sad but ultimately inspiring documentary on Warhol's greatest superstar Candy Darling. An amazing human being.
Old 11.11.2017, 10:15 AM   #21775
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

funny thing, while googling for a suitable picture i found this rated very low on the interwebs, but last night i went into it with high expectations (i think from this thread?) and actually liked it.

a bit preposterous, sure, but that’s a given with most horror movies, no? so, this one worked well for me. i might even rewatch it ha ha ha. srsly.
Old 11.11.2017, 11:44 AM   #21776
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, I enjoyed that too. Not a classic by any means but I liked its low key style.
Old 11.11.2017, 10:41 PM   #21777
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I've only seen it once, a pretty worn out VHS copy. I remember it feeling quite slow, quite 'European'. More like My Darling Clementine than, say, Stagecoach. I don't remember much besides that, though

You’re pretty spot on. He made it right after Clementine (which is his masterpiece if you ask me). He was great with Wayne, of cours, but to me Fonda always was the best Ford actor. The Fugitive is interesting to me because it’s one of the few films he didn’t try to hide being “artsy” and I believe he had more control over it than other films. It’s not perfect by any means but there’s something about it that I find really special.

Besides that recently watched a few great ones.

Dog Day Afternoon. Amazing film. Not taking away anything from Pacino and Sarandon (because of course they’re phenomenal and heartbreaking and funny) but Cazale always steals the show for me. Sal is a sad mystery who wasn’t made for this world. Even his funny lines go down bittersweet for me.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. It’s a shame there’s not a perfect cut of this film. Peckinpah had something special for a while. Never shied away from the violence of the world. Backing his characters into corners and watching how they cope with their morals and ideals. Excellent stuff.

They Live By Night. I couldn’t help watching this as the prototype for something like Badlands which kind of hindered it on its own. I LOVE Nicholas Ray though and this is up there with his best. I love how he makes genre films but bends them so off kilter. This is a crime film but tender. A love story but dirty. Unique characters too. Like Sal in Dog Day Afternoon, people who just can’t fit into the world.
Old 11.12.2017, 06:04 AM   #21778
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
You’re pretty spot on. He made it right after Clementine (which is his masterpiece if you ask me). He was great with Wayne, of cours, but to me Fonda always was the best Ford actor. The Fugitive is interesting to me because it’s one of the few films he didn’t try to hide being “artsy” and I believe he had more control over it than other films. It’s not perfect by any means but there’s something about it that I find really special.

Full agreement from me about Clementine being his masterpiece and Fonda his greatest actor. Fonda had that complexity: that mix of old-world chivalry with a more contemporary hardness.As for Clementine, just a thing of beauty from beginning to end

Quote:
Dog Day Afternoon. Amazing film. Not taking away anything from Pacino and Sarandon (because of course they’re phenomenal and heartbreaking and funny) but Cazale always steals the show for me. Sal is a sad mystery who wasn’t made for this world. Even his funny lines go down bittersweet for me.

More agreement. I think Cazale is now recognised as the great lost actor of that generation. All the big names knew about him and recognised his talent.

The obvious thing is to imagine some glittering career waiting for him but I suspect his sheer eccentricity would've always kept him at the cult level. But he could act alongside guys like DeNiro, Pacino and you'd still find yourself watching him rather than them. A true one-off.

I've read that Meryl Streep, his girlfriend till he died, took some pretty major career defining roles, just to pay his medical bills.
Old 11.12.2017, 09:43 PM   #21779
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Full agreement from me about Clementine being his masterpiece and Fonda his greatest actor. Fonda had that complexity: that mix of old-world chivalry with a more contemporary hardness.As for Clementine, just a thing of beauty from beginning to end

More agreement. I think Cazale is now recognised as the great lost actor of that generation. All the big names knew about him and recognised his talent.

The obvious thing is to imagine some glittering career waiting for him but I suspect his sheer eccentricity would've always kept him at the cult level. But he could act alongside guys like DeNiro, Pacino and you'd still find yourself watching him rather than them. A true one-off.

I've read that Meryl Streep, his girlfriend till he died, took some pretty major career defining roles, just to pay his medical bills.

Yeah I ageee - I couldn’t see Cazale being a star with the iconic roles. He was always the great supporting actor but added so much weight. I still can’t help but fantasize a situation where he had he lead. Like Stanton and Paris, Texas. Would’ve been a site to see.

And about Streep - there’s also that story about Dustin Hoffman whispering Cazale’s name after he died to her to try and milk a good performance. Kramer vs Kramer I think. First off she didn’t need it and second fuck him. He couldn’t touch Cazale.
Old 11.13.2017, 08:17 AM   #21780
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It's hard to see where Cazale would've fitted in the action obsessed 80s but I imagine he would've becoming a darling of the 90s indie sector.

I didn't know that story about Hoffman. He's always struck me as a bit of a cunt though.
58998910391079108610871088 1089 109010911092109911391189 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth