Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MPP===best album of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.08.2009, 03:36 PM   #221
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
so they're on the same websites that usually report jay-z, and the trendiest music site on the whole internet is hyping them

that means they're popular

hype is the PRELUDE to propularity (sometimes, other times it is just a smokescreena nd popularity never comes)
HYPE exists to increase the audience for an otherwise little known artist. Hype for BIG, KNOWN artists ussually means that their last records sucked ass and they need to create interest in the new one.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:37 PM   #222
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Haha, nevermind, Rob didn't really answer so I have no point to make now... Carry on.

I did answer. I dont know who that is.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:37 PM   #223
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I think this thread needs some real unfriendly blowouts, and none of this understanding sarcastic cooperative disagreement nonsense.

Here's a knife.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:39 PM   #224
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
u older guys are missing the point.

the point is they make good music... and this sales number is some historic shit in the digital age. even if you don't like it, you can't say all of their music is bad... or you can, but then you'll be found out as the pretentious-prick-who-just-likes-to-argue that you are.
No, I think that if you need to point out that me and Rob are older, the point is being missed by you, not me. If anything I bet on average I listen to way more young bands than you do, so there. And Animal Collective happen to be shite, young or not. K?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:39 PM   #225
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

the point is they make good music... and this sales number is some historic shit in the digital age. even if you don't like it, you can't say all of their music is bad... or you can, but then you'll be found out as the pretentious-prick-who-just-likes-to-argue that you are.

i really don't like their music. except for one song. if that makes me pretentious that's fine, but people have different tastes in music.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:40 PM   #226
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
more insults please, don't be shy.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:41 PM   #227
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"Yes" or "no" are answers, not "I dunno". Anyway, I just think you're a bit behind the times on what people are actually listening to. No offense.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:41 PM   #228
sarramkrop

who?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:41 PM   #229
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:

dude, there is a big difference between statements that AC's music is crap, and the statements that one does not like AC's music.

I can hear the inventiveness, and the expansive scope of what AC do musically. I think they are innovative within the context of their chosen medium, and I like their aesthetics (the art and live show surrounding the music) and can appreciate all that but the MUSIC, the most important crucial part, the songs themselves, I do not enjoy very much, any more than I enjoy taco's Puttin On The Ritz. that is just a matter of personal taste.

I can go into much detail about what I do not like in their music, but it would just be masturbatory.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:42 PM   #230
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
more insults please, don't be shy.

like what? they're almost as bad as mgmt?
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:42 PM   #231
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Dave, curious, how active is the collected animals forum versus this one?

Old 01.08.2009, 03:43 PM   #232
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
No, I think that if you need to point out that me and Rob are older, the point is being missed by you, not me. If anything I bet on average I listen to way more young bands than you do, so there. And Animal Collective happen to be shite, young or not. K?

no, i pointed it out because you and Rob are probably the 2 oldest ones still arguing, and you both have the same stance.

you probably do listen to way more young bands than i do. it probably helps in your dismissal (of AC) that you can rattle off so many new bands that you could listen to instead. it also helps to hide behind all the obscure names you know

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 03:43 PM   #233
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
who?

Scissor Shock, Robe.

Old 01.08.2009, 03:43 PM   #234
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Real people listen to Linkin Park, Coldplay, The Beatles, Jack Johnson, and one randomly selected mid-level band such as Animal Collective, MGMT, or Radiohead.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:44 PM   #235
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

You forgot My Chemical Romance and Panic! At the Disco.

My point about MSI is that they don't seem popular because they kind of stay out of the public's eye, but if you do a little research, they're fucking huge, with a really devoted fanbase, albums and tours that are eagerly anticipated and sell out immediately. Nearly everyone I personally and professionally know (including myself; Tight-era only!) has been a fan of them at some point in the past 8 years though they may not be now.

Anyway, they never even made it on the Billboard top 200 and are never covered in magazines (aside from Alternative Press), but I would consider them a "popular" band just because of how many listeners they have!... Anyway, I was just curious about what Rob thought of them, because they're probably the biggest band to NOT be covered by the mainstream press at all.

So, me considering Animal Collective popular.... I'm just basing it on the people I personally know in real life. I think Rob leads a very differant life than me and doesn't know all the young kids and what they are actually listening to on their ipods and shit. Not that I'm an expert, but I can name 30 people I know in real life at the top of my head that listen to and enjoy Animal Collective. That's more than I can even say for Sonic Youth, actually! They may not all be buying their records, but I dunno if record sales are the only way to define a band's popularity.

Anyway they're only going to get bigger...

Old 01.08.2009, 03:45 PM   #236
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Oh right. And Incubus. Or are they dead yet?
Old 01.08.2009, 03:45 PM   #237
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^^ oooch i'm not real. I always thought something was wrong with me.
Old 01.08.2009, 03:45 PM   #238
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
"Yes" or "no" are answers, not "I dunno". Anyway, I just think you're a bit behind the times on what people are actually listening to. No offense.

so you are still stuck in astone age aristotlian logic system of YES/NO?
MAYBE and I DON'T KNOW are equally valid answers man.

I think if you are concerned with being "up" on what people are actually listening to, as if that is a barometer of sorts, or an indicative of what YOU should listen to, then I don't know what to say man. In 1977 people by the millions were "actually" listening to Fleetwood Mac and that shit is pure garbage to me. what does that even mean man?
Old 01.08.2009, 03:46 PM   #239
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey Dave, curious, how active is the collected animals forum versus this one?

now that cantanky is gone... its not even close... I'm sure it'll slow down a bit when the new album gets a few months old. hell, checked the last.fm shoutbox for AC since MPP leaked?? new replies every 10 minutes or less usually.

Old 01.08.2009, 03:48 PM   #240
davenotdead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
dude, there is a big difference between statements that AC's music is crap, and the statements that one does not like AC's music.

I can hear the inventiveness, and the expansive scope of what AC do musically. I think they are innovative within the context of their chosen medium, and I like their aesthetics (the art and live show surrounding the music) and can appreciate all that but the MUSIC, the most important crucial part, the songs themselves, I do not enjoy very much, any more than I enjoy taco's Puttin On The Ritz. that is just a matter of personal taste.

I can go into much detail about what I do not like in their music, but it would just be masturbatory.

ok, well I can't fault you for that. if it's not yr thing then no prob. as long as you've given it a listen, which it sounds like you have

91011 12 13141522 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth