Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Let's massacre a band vol.1- The Melvins
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2010, 05:19 PM   #41
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
From the Melvins songs that I like, it sounds more to me like Metallic minus all of the annoying shit that Metallic does on the side. I can see how that lends them to "shittier" if you mean less stuff. Like "Boris," almost one riff through the whole fucking song. Shit to some, hard to deny that, but that's more or less what I would listen to Metallica for, one super-simple riff.

Elsewhere, I dislike Melvins when they sound like Metallica covering KISS.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:23 PM   #42
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Melvins are a pretty dead-end band. I like a bit of their stuff, I must say, but I hit a wall and need to move on to something else.

On the other hand, music judgment is a quixotic adventure. I really don't see the value in it. If the innate quality of shit is so self-evident within the band, why are there people who assert the contrary? They must, also, be shit people? Please, you sound like a goth.
From your post I gather that philosophy should completely avoid any criticism and judgement of the world around us, then, with due pointing out on my part that this being a music forum which mostly consists of record buyers, musicians, listeners, general fuckwits, and (I think) wageless music writers, it's not surprising that the main subject pops up here and there in the guises of personal thoughts about it.
Please, you sound a little daft.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:24 PM   #43
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i really don't get what the fuck you are talking about. and would wonder how you could explain the logic that i can be a pussy for being afraid to argue with you in front of others when that is exactly what i did. by your own logic you are the pussy for taking an arguement that was happening on the board and trying to continue it in private. your just bitching that i posted my reply in the thread so you couldn't just tell me to fuck off in a pm reply. what you are saying doesn't make any sense. i mean really, like this makes me a pussy, the only thing annoying is your assumption that it might upset me to be called a pussy. i really doubt anyone cares but as you say they can go have a look at the posts. it's too bad you weren't able to argue your point and had to start this pointless back and forth dick fight by resorting to name calling.

but this is so tiresome and i can not be bothered, please, no more.

If it really bothers you then DONT FUCKING REPLY!
I made my point about iraq in the thread, many other people, SuchFriends and others, disagreed with me. Even if i object to Suchfriends' points, i respect him for at least making them in full public view. Here is what happened

I made my feelings known about Iraq
Lots of people disagreed with me
YOU decided to give me some "negative-reputation"
I sent you a private message explaining why i disagreed with you, and that i felt you not responding to me in front of everyone was poor on your part.
You decided to post said private message for everyone to see (which i have no problem with, by the way) rather than respinding to me personally as i did to you.
Ergo, you are a pussy because i made my point in front of everyone and submitted it to arguement, you did not.

Again, if this is too much, please put me on ignore, thats what the button is there for. And you are one tiresome bag of nothingness yourself may i say.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:30 PM   #44
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
If it really bothers you then DONT FUCKING REPLY!
I made my point about iraq in the thread, many other people, SuchFriends and others, disagreed with me. Even if i object to Suchfriends' points, i respect him for at least making them in full public view. Here is what happened

I made my feelings known about Iraq
Lots of people disagreed with me
YOU decided to give me some "negative-reputation"
I sent you a private message explaining why i disagreed with you, and that i felt you not responding to me in front of everyone was poor on your part.
You decided to post said private message for everyone to see (which i have no problem with, by the way) rather than respinding to me personally as i did to you.
Ergo, you are a pussy because i made my point in front of everyone and submitted it to arguement, you did not.

Again, if this is too much, please put me on ignore, thats what the button is there for. And you are one tiresome bag of nothingness yourself may i say.

thanks for your respinse. after that stunning display of logic, i can see now that ergo, i am a pussy, and am utterly delighted at this new state of ontological vaginaness that you have bestowed upon me. oh brave one, someday the deep wounds caused by that neg rep will heal and your courageous neo con truth shall ring out across this message board.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:32 PM   #45
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
From your post I gather that philosophy should completely avoid any criticism and judgement of the world around us
Yeah, it should.

Quote:
then, with due pointing out on my part that this being a music forum which mostly consists of record buyers, musicians, listeners, general fuckwits, and (I think) wageless music writers, it's not surprising that the main subject pops up here and there in the guises of personal thoughts about it.
Please, you sound a little daft.
You're right, it's no surprise that the subject pops up and we're certainly allowed our subjective territory. Perhaps my post was too strongly worded? I didn't mean it as a condemnation of the thread as much as a caveat to conclude whatever nik was going on about.
Old 02.16.2010, 05:39 PM   #46
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
From the Melvins songs that I like, it sounds more to me like Metallic minus all of the annoying shit that Metallic does on the side. I can see how that lends them to "shittier" if you mean less stuff. Like "Boris," almost one riff through the whole fucking song. Shit to some, hard to deny that, but that's more or less what I would listen to Metallica for, one super-simple riff.

Elsewhere, I dislike Melvins when they sound like Metallica covering KISS.

I think the thing is, I feel like if you're going to do Metallica-esque metal, you may as well be Metallica. If Metallica ever tried to be hip, or anything other than "WERHHHHUUUUGH!!!! FUCKING YEAH!!!! METALLICA!!!!!" then they'd lose everything that makes them Metallica. Boris are ok, because, y'know, that's what Boris do. I just feel like the Melvins are a bit like a metal band it's ok for indie kids to like, or a metal band for people who can't appreciate THE SHRED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:40 PM   #47
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I have no idea what Nick is going on about.
Pbradley, I have a question for you: do you smoke dope?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:40 PM   #48
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
thanks for your respinse. after that stunning display of logic, i can see now that ergo, i am a pussy, and am utterly delighted at this new state of ontological vaginaness that you have bestowed upon me. oh brave one, someday the deep wounds caused by that neg rep will heal and your courageous neo con truth shall ring out across this message board.

cheers sweetheart

Old 02.16.2010, 05:43 PM   #49
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
that thread really is a massacre
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:48 PM   #50
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have no idea what Nick is going on about.
Pbradley, I have a question for you: do you smoke dope?
No, or at least not in over a year.
Old 02.16.2010, 05:49 PM   #51
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i think maybe pbradley assumed i was argueing about the melvins... but it was completely unrelated... i can't understand what post of mine he was referring to...

i think this thread is so bad that we are close to descending to a point of absolute chaos were all notion of understanding or sense is lost and it ends up a 60 page dumpster of molding pizzas and abortions.
Old 02.16.2010, 05:50 PM   #52
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
That's actually pretty accurate to my opinion. I in no way dislike the melvins, but "sexless", or soulless, has always been my problem with them. Sadly, their cover of Kiss's "Blind" is my most listened track by them.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:51 PM   #53
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
And I am a very consistent pot smoker. But when I'm high I usually want to listen to anything from Warren Zevon to Curtis Mayfield to Royal Trux. The obvious weed music doesn't usually do it for me.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:56 PM   #54
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Purely on a musical level, I find the heaviness and slowness of their sound to fall flat on its own arse without any sense of dynamics that their playing suggests at first listen.

Exactly. There seems to be a lot of people claiming that the Melvins are 'good at what they do', when I'd say that what they do, in principle, is brilliant, they just do it really boringly. For all their supposed 'heaviness', I just don't hear it. As you say, their lack of dynamics only ends up thining their sound out. They have a heavy 'tone' but I never hear any real power in it. A completely different band, I know, but I've just been listening to Live Skull's 'Fort Belvedere' which, while it has what might objectively be described as a pretty weedy tone, has far more real cathartic power than anything I've heard by The Melvins.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2010, 05:57 PM   #55
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think the thing is, I feel like if you're going to do Metallica-esque metal, you may as well be Metallica. If Metallica ever tried to be hip, or anything other than "WERHHHHUUUUGH!!!! FUCKING YEAH!!!! METALLICA!!!!!" then they'd lose everything that makes them Metallica. Boris are ok, because, y'know, that's what Boris do. I just feel like the Melvins are a bit like a metal band it's ok for indie kids to like, or a metal band for people who can't appreciate THE SHRED.
To clarify, I mean the Melvins song "Boris" by which that band took their name.

Maybe Melvins are an indie kid-approved metal band but that's getting into audience-criticism. I don't buy that is the only reason people would listen to the Melvins, besides which the Melvins were around before the indie kid meme-set. Is wanting the metal hold the shredding so terrible? Or is wanting Metallica's core sound without that shredding and other affiliated metal tropes so shamefully indie?
Old 02.16.2010, 05:59 PM   #56
ni'k
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
That's actually pretty accurate to my opinion. I in no way dislike the melvins, but "sexless", or soulless, has always been my problem with them. Sadly, their cover of Kiss's "Blind" is my most listened track by them.

it's their very sexlessness that i find appealing.

what i like about them as that for such simplisitic music they are surprisingly difficult to appreciate, i spent years with the opinion "yeah they're ok but who would want to actual listen to one of their albums", but now i find them preferable to stuff like nirvana or aic that ive heard a million times already.

they took a new direction each album and i can appreciate their tirelessness in looking for new ways to invigorate the same sound. and it's actually really good when it hits.

as for dynamics, they have this underwater murk that i can totally see why people find off putting because it is quite difficult to tune into. it's only really on the last 2 albums that they've nailed any kind of clarity.

but i prefer the houdini sound.
Old 02.16.2010, 06:00 PM   #57
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

I know what you mean about metal indie kids can like, and i myself have never liked metallica. But there is something in heavy metal one can gravitate towards it just depends how its expressed. I would say its similar to indie- a word i feel unpleasent about when hearing it, but there is good dtuff that falls under said umbrellas

Old 02.16.2010, 06:00 PM   #58
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
i think maybe pbradley assumed i was argueing about the melvins... but it was completely unrelated... i can't understand what post of mine he was referring to...
Okay, then I was responding to the general "fuck you, the Melvins are AWESOME" reaction.
Old 02.16.2010, 06:07 PM   #59
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck you the Melvins are AWESOME!

without the Melvins there would have been no BLEACH.
The first 5-6 melvins LP's and EP's were some of the greatest heavy music ever laid on wax.

I have not heard the last ten years of melvins recorded output, but what I do have is prized . PRIZED I SAY!
Old 02.16.2010, 06:08 PM   #60
pbradley
invito al cielo

Death of a comma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
without the Melvins there would have been no BLEACH.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth