Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A thread about San Francisco
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.11.2008, 10:08 AM   #61
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
But I don't threaten my "connect" with griveous bodily harm!

(I meant nothing lewd by the previous. It came off osunding wrong. sorry)
i don't do that shit either because if i did i would get my ass kicked. i know my place.
Old 06.11.2008, 10:12 AM   #62
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'd conceed that supermarkets have definitely improved in the UK the past few years, but value in terms of eating out I still think is a big problem - although saying even that, it's increasingly no worse than in most of the rest of Europe. I was comparing it with the US which is FAR better value. I've eatern like a king in NY and Ohio on $10, and in parts of Florida I was given a virtual banquet of amazingness for even less. I might be full after spending £5 in London, but that's about it. On the whole I found that food was taken far more seriously in the US than it is in the UK, where it seems to be viewed on the most part simply as fuel.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 10:15 AM   #63
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
everywhere in the US is cheaper than europe, particularly france and the UK.
Old 06.11.2008, 10:18 AM   #64
sarramkrop

Well, the euro has definitely made the whole of Europe much more expensive than it was before. They doubled the prices of a lot of things or increased them.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 10:20 AM   #65
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

fucking hell they have.
Old 06.11.2008, 10:23 AM   #66
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I found restaurants in Paris, despite their reputation, to be incredibly underwhelming. Out of interest, what's the standard of your average restaurant in somewhere like Rome now?
Old 06.11.2008, 10:24 AM   #67
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

idk but theres this one restaurant i forgot the name of on the champs elysee that i love love love. they have this chicken that comes with french fries and they put it in some kind of mushroom sauce and it's sooooo goooooood

damn i have been going on about food a lot lately
Old 06.11.2008, 10:27 AM   #68
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I found restaurants in Paris, despite their reputation, to be incredibly underwhelming. Out of interest, what's the standard of your average restaurant in somewhere like Rome now?

If you'd pay 20 euros for two courses before, you are very likely to pay almost double that price now, especially in places like Milan, which has always been expensive anyway.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 10:29 AM   #69
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Where did you go ?
I'm not saying we have the best restaurant, the best city, blablabla... but when I go to a restaurant in Paris, I'm never disappointed.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 10:29 AM   #70
demonrail666
invito al cielo

One place I was quite surprised had really superb restaurants was Berlin. I'm not talking about the imbis thing but proper sit down affairs that were great value and excellent quality. I don't think Berlin has a big rep on the food map, but I'll say this much: that it was far better than Paris the last time i was there.
Old 06.11.2008, 10:33 AM   #71
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
Where did you go ?
I'm not saying we have the best restaurant, the best city, blablabla... but when I go to a restaurant in Paris, I'm never disappointed.

I wouldn't be able to remember names of specific restaurants, but they certainly weren't the kind that cater solely for tourists (where I'd expect the standards to be low). I wouldn't say the food was bad, but it just seemed far more average than I'd remembered it from past visits.
Old 06.11.2008, 10:41 AM   #72
sarramkrop

Don't mind me saying this, but I think that you romanticise the States a little too much. I mean, I'm not slagging the place off or anything, still if you talk from a few personal experiences with food over there and then want to believe that the whole place holds the same standards, I am sure that you will be up for some seriously disappointing scenarios.

I don't even know the place well enough to talk about it, but surely it must be somewhere with its ups and downs just like anywhere else. I am certain of that. Americans boardies please confirm.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 10:41 AM   #73
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
do you remember in which part of Paris you went ?
Well, I've noticed there're too much asian restaurants in Paris nowadays, about 50%. Not that I don't like asian food, but the other kind of restaurants are too few. That sucks.
But there still are good restaurants here and there.

Old 06.11.2008, 10:44 AM   #74
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I was staying in Pigalle but ate out mostly around the Latin Quarter, so admittedly a lot of the restaurants were North African, but by no means all of them.
Old 06.11.2008, 10:52 AM   #75
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

Ok, well, there're a lot of kebab/greek food/... in this area, it's difficult to find the good choice.
Well, it's difficult to say there is a standard in every city/state..., it really depends on your tastes, your budget, the area, and your luck...

Old 06.11.2008, 10:54 AM   #76
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Don't mind me saying this, but I think that you romanticise the States a little too much. I mean, I'm not slagging the place off or anything, still if you talk from a few personal experiences with food over there and then want to believe that the whole place holds the same standards, I am sure that you will be up for some seriosuly disappointing scenarios.

I don't even know the place well enough to talk about it, but surely it must be somewhere with its ups and downs just like anywhere else. I am certain of that. Americans boardies please confirm.

No problem. I'd not say that all American restaurants are good, just like I'd never say that all British ones are bad. Just that if I made a general comparison I'd say that, on the whole, I found the ones I visited in the US to be of a better standard. I saw a lot of restaurants in America that looked absolutely awful, but i also found that there really seemed little need to go to these, simply because there was always somewhere close enough by that looked far more appealing. I don't know how true that is of all of America, though - and I definitely wouldn't say that eating out in a place like Ohio is better than in London. Better value maybe, but not in actual quality. Also, a lot of this is based on diner/cafe type food. I rarely went to a top grade restaurant in the US, so wouldn't even begin to want to make a comparison based on those. But of course you're ultimately right in that you can't judge a whole country on a handful of experiences.
Old 06.11.2008, 11:33 AM   #77
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
I think it says a lot about San Francisco that nobody is talking about it in this thread anymore.

All I know is that all the food I had was way overrated except for the Chinese and Mexican which was excellent.

The homeless problem is out of control. If you ignore a homeless person there they'll fucking harass you and follow you down the street and expect you to just take it.

I've had to go there for business about half a dozen times in the past 5 years and you can have it.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 11:42 AM   #78
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen the musical! Everyone was so......up for it!

PS: Mr. Junky. I love yr sig. best No Reservations ever.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 12:32 PM   #79
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
I think it says a lot about San Francisco that nobody is talking about it in this thread anymore.

All I know is that all the food I had was way overrated except for the Chinese and Mexican which was excellent.

The homeless problem is out of control. If you ignore a homeless person there they'll fucking harass you and follow you down the street and expect you to just take it.

I've had to go there for business about half a dozen times in the past 5 years and you can have it.

ha ha ha haa haaa haa

ok.

i still wanna see it though.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2008, 12:38 PM   #80
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've seen the musical! Everyone was so......up for it!

PS: Mr. Junky. I love yr sig. best No Reservations ever.
oh that tony bourdain show? i like him. his restaurant is good.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth