Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Demoing your own music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2009, 04:11 PM   #1
sarramkrop

I'm curious about this and very naive about it.

Do any of the musicians on this forum demo their music before they think it's the right representation of what they can do, or you just go for 'this is what I am, and this is what I do' approach'?

I am neutral to both approaches, since you get people who just nail it straight away in one take, and then you get people who make you think they should refine their arsenal in order to get it right. Anyway, your opinions are much appreciated, wherever they come from.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 04:14 PM   #2
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I constantly demo. A lot of the time I do demos just so that I can hear what the hell I'm doing and make sure that it works for me. It helps a lot, especially with coming up with vocal lines and melodies.
Old 05.06.2009, 04:17 PM   #3
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
I constantly demo. A lot of the time I do demos just so that I can hear what the hell I'm doing and make sure that it works for me. It helps a lot, especially with coming up with vocal lines and melodies.

Very good point. I do listen back to what I play constantly, since I am working by myself all the time, which is more tiring and doubles and trebles the amount of work you'd do if a few like-minded people were on the case.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 04:37 PM   #4
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone

I can agree with that. I think demo making is an important aspect of songwriting process... if you're doing ti by yourself albeit a frustrating process but it allows you to remove youself and look at it a bit more third person.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 04:39 PM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
my work is in constant demo until i think it is good enough to use in a show...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Solo-wise, I'm an improviser. This basically means that I practise between 2-4 hours a day (actually, I've been reading more lately, so this is closer to 45 minutes) and never get around to recording anything. The rare times that I do record, I immediately delete it and set about practising a bit harder. I did play a gig recently that was the first time I didn't feel like I'd been gutted for week afterwards. A positive step, of sorts.

Band-wise, we get together infrequently, are brilliant, record something brilliant, never play it to anyone and have gay arguments, infrequently, about how brilliant we are (current estimation: unspeakably so).

I've started playing violin with a band about a month ago, and they quite rightly have the approach of 'demo it, get out playing live and see what the kids make of it'. The music isn't earth-shattering, but it is fun to work with people who aren't overwroughtly thinking they're writing the best music ever (hello, me) but just making something that's fun to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 04:59 PM   #7
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Solo-wise, I'm an improviser. This basically means that I practise between 2-4 hours a day (actually, I've been reading more lately, so this is closer to 45 minutes) and never get around to recording anything. The rare times that I do record, I immediately delete it and set about practising a bit harder. I did play a gig recently that was the first time I didn't feel like I'd been gutted for week afterwards. A positive step, of sorts.

Band-wise, we get together infrequently, are brilliant, record something brilliant, never play it to anyone and have gay arguments, infrequently, about how brilliant we are (current estimation: unspeakably so).

I've started playing violin with a band about a month ago, and they quite rightly have the approach of 'demo it, get out playing live and see what the kids make of it'. The music isn't earth-shattering, but it is fun to work with people who aren't overwroughtly thinking they're writing the best music ever (hello, me) but just making something that's fun to play.

The recording you sent me recently might be improvised, but it's a bona fide stunner. It's very beautiful in parts, and it sounds like everyone is having fun playing it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Cool, thanks. I played that to a metaller mate of mine recently and he spent the rest of the evening asking me why I'd recorded it so shitly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 05:10 PM   #9
sarramkrop

I agree with your metaller friend. It deserves a better recording, since the crap-fi sound doesn't do it justice, and sounds too deliberate.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 06:10 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I just record a song and it's done. I might go back later and add some layers of shit but I very rarely demo it.. don't want to go through the hell of recording the song again. I think the first time I play something is usually the best, warts and all, and I'd rather keep it like that.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 07:19 PM   #11
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Since all I do is guitar, I just write it outside of recording, play/practice it over and over, and then eventually record to the laptop when it feels complete but do very little in terms of producing what I've recorded. Mostly I just save the best take I recorded and call it done. I understand bringing production underneath the umbrella of artistic control but it doesn't appeal to me. It's an instrument I don't care to play.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 07:21 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"Just so you know, Joe Hotdog stand owner, I manage a branch for a mortgage company which should imply to you that currently I am knee deep in making sense of global economics and have been for years. You are arguing an echonomics scholar (or soon to be) and a mortgage banker about economics... Like I said, go read a book!"

Old 05.06.2009, 07:29 PM   #13
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
I just got back into playing guitar over the weekend after a long (2+ year) absence, after myself and a friend decided we should do something before we're old farts.

Anyway I've been doing half assed demos of ideas, and re listening to the results to help the process of writing lyrics and developing ideas as I'm pretty anal about lyrics especially.

If I was into any sort of a groove and regularly playing maybe I wouldnt have to go through this stuff, but at the moment I'm finding it extremely helpful

It's whatever works for you
Old 05.06.2009, 07:30 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Old 05.06.2009, 07:45 PM   #15
sarramkrop

This thread is not an argument, man. Chillax, and just talk about it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 07:46 PM   #16
sarramkrop

Chillax.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 07:47 PM   #17
sarramkrop

Just, like, CHILLAX. Chillax.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 07:50 PM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses

pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2009, 07:50 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'm just searching for inner beauty.

Old 05.06.2009, 07:51 PM   #20
sarramkrop

Chillax inner beauty, man.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth