Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal will be 10 years old soon.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.08.2019, 06:34 PM   #41
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
I was only 23 when The Eternal was released and since I only became a fan in 2007 it was a great era for me because I finally got to see them live, twice, so for that I'm very grateful for the album, and I was gutted when they split, however, I don't really go back to this album, I think a "re-assessment" is in order.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2019, 12:54 AM   #42
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Definitely not their best record. I like it and can listen to it enjoying a band that showed more enthusiasm for being Sonic Youth than the record that came before it. It's a good thing it came out and then they all fucked off to sort out whatever personal problems they were dealing with at the time. If it's the last we hear from them as band, it's an enjoyable record. They'd never be able to do Confusion is Sex again or whatever. And why should they, anyway?
yeah pretty much this. don't hate rather ripped nearly as much as you do, I think it's pretty adorable if only because kim has some lovely songs on there (do think it's the tipping point for thurston becoming totally intolerable though). I think a lot of people like to typecast murray street and nurse as the band becoming complacent and middle aged but at least there was an expansion there whether or not one actually likes it being beside the point. the eternal is really the only time we got to hear sonic youth trying to play up to the idea of a coherent sonic youth narrative (that doesn't make much sense but they're trying to encapsulate everything they've done in the most together way they could to a degree? subconsciously or otherwise) and in that it's at least fun to listen to. inconsequential sure but it's devoid of a lot of the posturing and it's just them trying to make a nice poppy record that lets them be themselves? they shouldn't get shat on for that, people who hold this insane expectation that bands should continuously innovate for the better part of half a century probably just don't get that a) it's fucking exhausting b) not all that much fun to listen to?

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2019, 08:04 PM   #43
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
So, talking about feelings towards The Eternal, did any of your feelings change for it after they broke up, and you had to come to accept the fact it was going to be their last album?

I have to admit mine did. I went from being sort of excited about them revisiting some older feeling themes and ideas, and excited about what that had in store for their future, to just being really saddened at the idea that they might not have been really enjoying each other by then and just going through familiar motions. I could be analyzing it totally wrong, but that is where my mind went, and it has just sort of tarnished that album for me, which is odd. I really was excited about it those first few months, and the shows from that tour.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2019, 10:14 PM   #44
The Gazpacho Gestapo
bad moon rising

The Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's asses
8 years from now show me eternal's toes
The Gazpacho Gestapo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2019, 08:47 AM   #45
bloodcrystallisetosand
bad moon rising

bloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's assesbloodcrystallisetosand kicks all y'all's asses
I'm with Severian on this. Only SY main-run album I actually dislike. Have been considering picking it up on vinyl however: the UK press was supposedly excellent and one of my problems with the CD was that it sounded too clean and clinical. Anyone able to offer an opinion on digital v. analogue for this one?

Honestly though, I just think the songwriting wasn't strong enough. If it helps, think of SYR9 as the true final album. Gets me through the cold winter nights anyway.
bloodcrystallisetosand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2019, 05:44 PM   #46
Sucklechimp
little trouble girl

Sucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's assesSucklechimp kicks all y'all's asses
I was like you all once.

I was all angsty and hung up on the whole noise and avant-garde aspect of SY and wished their final couple of records harkened back to the "glory days".

Then when I was about 30 I gave up on pigeonholing bands into one type of sound and acceptted the fact that groups mature and evolve. No one living lives forever in their screaming 20's unless you're stuck in neutral mentally and emotionally.

In other words, grow up and learn to accept things as they are. Find beauty in the present and stop trying to rearrange reality to fit your pre-conceived notions.

Love,
Sucklechimp
Sucklechimp is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.26.2019, 04:15 AM   #47
pleuronz
empty page

pleuronz has a couple of kiss-ass net friends

pleuronz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth