Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pavement Reunion?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.07.2008, 03:48 PM   #101
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I can see that sarramkrop. pavement is a "college rock" band like REM and the Pixies and other such acts that started when the members were in school/university together.

Gary Young was dope though.
Old 03.07.2008, 03:57 PM   #102
sarramkrop

I thought that he looked and acted like a twat, to be honest. Did he not do that ''Plant Man'' or something tune that had Thurston Moore in the video? What a Captain Beefhart wannabe twat he is.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2008, 04:20 PM   #103
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I hate the Malkmus solo shit

I think the push and pull between him and spiral stairs is what made the band. spiral stairs had a great rock melodic sensibility.
Old 03.07.2008, 06:37 PM   #104
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I hate the Malkmus solo shit

yes.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2008, 07:55 PM   #105
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Pavement live back in 99, to this day stands as one of the best gigs I've been to. So am very excited bout a possible reunion.
Malkmus' solo stuff, some brilliant, some shite, new album has had good reviews
COme on Pavement!
Old 03.07.2008, 08:39 PM   #106
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
you know what would be cool? neurosis reuniting their pain of mind era band.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2008, 09:08 PM   #107
dressedindreams
bad moon rising

dressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant future
I'm excited, but they can't be like the pixies and be whores for money, playing arenas and headlining festivals. They have to play clubs.
dressedindreams is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 01:09 AM   #108
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
That would be kind of cool, I guess.

Based on the live videos I've seen, they don't seem very interesting live. Not the sound or the songs, just the performance. I guess I could say they don't seem so "fun" live. I might be wrong, though. Has anyone ever seen them live? What was it like?

Basically, you nailed it. I saw them live at the Lollapalooza Sonic Youth headlined (give or take the travesty that was Hole) and they were kind of boring. I like some of their songs some of the time, but have always just thought of them as a more popular than average by-the-book indie rock band. Yo La Tengo, Beck, Doo Rag, Jesus Lizard, and Blowhole (and of course Sonic Youth) were all significantly more worth watching.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 01:17 AM   #109
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
sorry but have you seen a band reunited that was exactly the way they used to be when they kicked ass?

hardly any reunion is a good one.

Pere Ubu, Gang of Four, Mission of Burma, Rocket from the Tombs, and the Dictators were all completely awesome when I saw them. Not all "exactly" like when they played the first go round but entirely true to it, not in the least bit boring, and totally on. In Pere Ubu's case, they've been together another 20 years or so since that reunion, and in Rocket's case the reunion was over 20 years after they broke up! But then Pavement was never in the league of any of those groups.
Old 03.08.2008, 01:22 AM   #110
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah, also because mark e smith isn't a guitarist. maybe to make it fair we should make them both play the tuba, and see what happens?

That I would buy tickets for!
Old 03.08.2008, 01:50 AM   #111
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
They totally acted like they were trying to appear and sound quirky, weird and fucked up, when in fact they came across as more than a bit irritating. I love chaos and all the things above when a band can't help but being that way, but with Pavement seemed to me like some rich kids playing at pissing off their parents with the very instruments that were bought for them. And I really, really can't figure out Malkmus at all. Not at all.

Gary Numan was a rich kid who's father paid for his instruments. I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm a poor kid and I pay for my instruments, but I see nothing shameful about being rich and getting pampered, as long as you make good music.

I see your argument though. Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain can give that vibe and can get pretty monotonous. Wowee Zowee is much, much, much better than both those albums combined. I judge them based on Wowee, which I'd probably place among my favorite albums of all time.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 02:10 AM   #112
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Wowee is my favourite Pavement album.
Old 03.08.2008, 02:28 AM   #113
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I think I should give them a try. Youtube here I come.
Old 03.08.2008, 02:38 AM   #114
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ✌➬
I think I should give them a try. Youtube here I come.

Just buy Wowee Zowee sordid essentials version. It is great, you won't regret it. Their live stuff on youtube is really hit or miss, and some of it probably only enjoyable if you know the album song well.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 03:32 AM   #115
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I prefer Crooked Deluxe to Wowee deluxe, but I prefer standard Wowee to Crooked.
Old 03.08.2008, 04:13 AM   #116
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I only have the deluxe Slanted & Enchanted. I've only listened to the actual album, which is good, but not brilliant - it does get annoying on occassions, and that has kept me away from the extras.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 06:08 AM   #117
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechex
To me, Television were a band that executed, esp on tape.They had a certain musical excellence that they strived for. Pavement did not. SM wanted more chaos and random accidents that sounded cool, at least early on in my mind. Television was much more thought out. Those dual guitar patterns and harmonies and what not.

The track Marquee moon was actually recorded in one take so it may not be that "thought out". In addition in Tom Verlaine's guitar playing there's lots of dissonant notes, it's even sometimes atonal (cf Little Johnny Jewel or Friction). For some people here it looks as if Television were prog-rock or even like Steely Dan, but that's denying that despite their proficiency there's still rawness in their music (electric Neil Young and the Rolling Stones are clear influences in their sound and songwriting).
Old 03.08.2008, 06:19 AM   #118
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
For some people here it looks as if Television were prog-rock or even like Steely Dan, but that's denying that despite their proficiency there's still rawness in their music.
Proof of the rawness is in "The Blow-Up".
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 10:23 AM   #119
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
The track Marquee moon was actually recorded in one take so it may not be that "thought out". In addition in Tom Verlaine's guitar playing there's lots of dissonant notes, it's even sometimes atonal (cf Little Johnny Jewel or Friction). For some people here it looks as if Television were prog-rock or even like Steely Dan, but that's denying that despite their proficiency there's still rawness in their music (electric Neil Young and the Rolling Stones are clear influences in their sound and songwriting).

unless of course, its planned out, then recorded in one take. not to take anything away from a one take. but u may have the solo and bits worked out. Its still quite a task to nail it the way u want it in one take... i think that was likely the case tho, b/c if u listen to their riffs alot of the bass and drums do things with them at exact points so they know whats where. With Pavement, it was all SM melodies and scratchy guitar not knowing what its doing.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2008, 12:38 PM   #120
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry Kids, It Isn't Time to Get Too Excited About This Pavement Reunion Thing Just Yet

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth