Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page crazy coincidence I just saw myself on the TV screen...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.14.2010, 12:59 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I have been watching this documentary on PBS and it has been rather good, relatively vague and a theologian and historian like myself tends to add details and get in arguments with the TV on such programs, but it has been rather decent..

its called God In America

so I was watching episode six by coincidence this morning, and after walking out to get a cup of coffee (which was extraordinarily delicious) I came back in to see MYSELF on the SCREEN!!

It was a scene where they were just talking about the shifting demographics of religion in the 20 somethings generation of Americans, and they were showing different people of that age in prayer, a muslim in a mosque, a yoga session, some pentecostals singing hands raised, and then they showed the above scene... I initially thought it was a jew, seeing a white guy in a prayer shawl, but then i said, "wait, I recognize that green striped netela!" I realized I was watching myself pray in my Virgin Mary Tewahedo Ethiopian Orthodox Church..

Honestly, I would think that any of the Ethiopians praying in that Church on sunday represent well the shifting patterns of religious diversity in today's America, but I suppose the producers thought the solitary white guy praying in a room full of 500 Ethiopians was a more accurate representation!

By the grace of God, I am happy to be catching fame holdin' it down for the Rastafari and Tewahedo and American communities of our era, and let the world know that folks still humbly bow in prayer to the Father for the sake of life in the world.

The strings of the Multiverse have been vibrating since forver, and they will continue to vibrate infinitely, prayer is just man catching those reverberations as the sound box of a an acoustic guitar resonantes and reverberates the vibrations of the strings of the guitar, amplifying the songs of Creation..

Jah, Ras Tafari.

the world is an increasingly small place!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 01:02 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ha ha ha-- awesome!

i hope the event didn't cause a rift in the spacetime continuum
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 01:03 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Since the days when the Puritan "city on a hill" beckoned on the horizon of the New World, religious faith and belief have forged America's ideals, molded its identity and shaped its sense of mission at home and abroad.
For the first time on television, God in America explores the tumultuous 400-year history of the intersection of religion and public life in America, from the first European settlements to the 2008 presidential election. A co-production of AMERICAN EXPERIENCE and FRONTLINE, this six-hour series examines how religious dissidents helped shape the American concept of religious liberty and the controversial evolution of that ideal in the nation's courts and political arena; how religious freedom and waves of new immigrants and religious revivals fueled competition in the religious marketplace; how movements for social reform -- from abolition to civil rights -- galvanized men and women to put their faith into political action; and how religious faith influenced conflicts from the American Revolution to the Cold War.
Interweaving documentary footage, historical dramatization and interviews with religious historians, the six-part series is narrated by actor Campbell Scott and includes appearances by actors Michael Emerson (as John Winthrop), Chris Sarandon (as Abraham Lincoln. and Keith David (as Frederick Douglass), among others.
"The American story cannot be fully understood without understanding the country's religious history," says series executive producer Michael Sullivan. "By examining that history, God in America will offer viewers a fresh, revealing and challenging portrait of the country."
As God in America unfolds, it reveals the deep roots of American religious identity in the universal quest for liberty and individualism -- ideas that played out in the unlikely political union between Thomas Jefferson and defiant Baptists to oppose the established church in Virginia and that were later embraced by free-wheeling Methodists and maverick Presbyterians. Catholic and Jewish immigrants battled for religious liberty and expanded its meaning. In their quest for social reform, movements as different as civil rights and the religious right found authority and energy in their religious faith. The fight to define religious liberty fueled struggles between America's secular and religious cultures on issues from evolution to school prayer, and American individualism and the country's experiment in religious liberty were the engine that made America the most religiously diverse nation on earth.

View God in America online

Old 10.14.2010, 01:03 PM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
haha...that's pretty cool man.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 01:18 PM   #5
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha-- awesome!

holy shit... that is too good. hahahahaha
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 01:22 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
haha...that's pretty cool man.

considering I-man is a PBS junkie, I think it is rather cool. I watch all my news and documentaries on PBS, sometimes 3-4 hours a day if its good stuff, and so to be able to both contribute to the programing, even in some small and insignificant way, and also to very much be a part of the evidence proving the point of the documentary and therefore be a part of the programing I watch often, it is rather gratifying, and not in some self-centered egotistical way, but rather in humble acknowledgment that God(s) has by complete and absolute coincidence, used me as a part of a film describing the faith of America, and that I have permanently and forever become part of the fabric of the description and analysis of religiosity and faith in America, just as I enjoy watching documentaries of say the Civil Rights, which shows people participating in the protests and marches which change and shape america, so now I have also seen my very self in a similar action, bowing humbly in prayer, doing my infinitely small and by itself meaningless yet in collaboration with the whole an integral cog, part of our generation to shape and change the religion and worship of America.

It is truly crazy and yet also very validating, as I now really and truly feel that I am part of America, even if I do not necessarily want to be.. Seeing myself be myself and yet be considered representative of something outside of myself, it is surreal as a mushroom trip.

Its like Daniel praying at his window just for himself alone and not to even remotely condemn others by his own activiy, knowing damn well that the Kings of Babylon have decreed against it, or like Noah building that ark, not to spite or scoff at the world but rather simply out of his own pleasure in the labor and art of ship-building..

I would have thought the producers/filmers would have preferred something from my parish such as this

or

Old 10.14.2010, 01:24 PM   #7
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
God in America??? Sounds perverted. Hasn't people believing in God fucked America enough already? Now he has to do it himself? When will the lying about God ever cease on this planet?? There will NEVER be peace on earth so long as people lie and claim to know God (or ghosts).
Suchfriends - There was no fucking ark. Get real holmes. When you are ready for the truth about God I am here for you brother. Until then you are an enemy of honesty and peace. Also, if you want to talk about your extremely obvious Daddy and/or Mommy issues feel free to hit me up. I'm guessing you had an overbearing parent or two.

Old 10.14.2010, 01:49 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hevusa again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
God in America??? Sounds perverted. Hasn't people believing in God fucked America enough already? Now he has to do it himself? When will the lying about God ever cease on this planet?? There will NEVER be peace on earth so long as people lie and claim to know God (or ghosts).
Suchfriends - There was no fucking ark. Get real holmes. When you are ready for the truth about God I am here for you brother. Until then you are an enemy of honesty and peace.

This isn't necessarily an opportunity for you to attack me, though you can if you feel its productive. This documentary was by no means promoting religion and neither am I for that matter, rather it was simply discussing its evolution in american history. I was just tripping out to see myself become a part of that analysis and imagery..

this is not to preach, its just to trip out. And whether Noah actually built that boat is irrelevant to the symbolism and poetry which it represents, just like its irrelevant if Thurston actually ever physically "said goodbye to his conflicted goddess" for those lyrics have impact and meaning in our own lives irregardless to their implicit historicity.. when you interpret poetry literally or historically, you kill all its depth and meaning..

Old 10.14.2010, 01:50 PM   #9
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hevusa again.

This isn't necessarily an opportunity for you to attack me, though you can if you feel its productive. This documentary was by no means promoting religion and neither am I for that matter, rather it was simply discussing its evolution in american history. I was just tripping out to see myself become a part of that analysis and imagery..

this is not to preach, its just to trip out. And whether Noah actually built that boat is irrelevant to the symbolism and poetry which it represents, just like its irrelevant if Thurston actually ever physically "said goodbye to his conflicted goddess" for those lyrics have impact and meaning in our own lives irregardless to their implicit historicity.. when you interpret poetry literally or historically, you kill all its depth and meaning..

evolution in american history... hopefully its evolution will be extinction before too long so we can have honesty instead.

I didn't know the reason for all the animals being on the planet was meant to be so "poetic" dude. If you want to talk about your extremely obvious Daddy and/or Mommy issues feel free to hit me up. I'm guessing you had an overbearing parent or two or perhaps one missing from your life completely. I'm really sad you are doing this with your life. Try honesty some day!
Old 10.14.2010, 01:52 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha-- awesome!

only if I can get up to 88 miles per hour..

of course, knowing my luck, I'll probably just get rolled as usual...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Y...eo/DSC00028.JP

Old 10.14.2010, 02:34 PM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
only if I can get up to 88 miles per hour..

of course, knowing my luck, I'll probably just get rolled as usual...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Y...eo/DSC00028.JP

haa haa haa haa

go bus go!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Congratulations You-Man!
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, what a coincidence!

I just noticed that God in America is free to stream online at their website too, looks really interesting. I'm especially interested in learning more about the modern outlook on religion in America.

Thanks for sharing
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 04:25 PM   #14
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome, brohammed. I'll be watching this. I fucking love PBS.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 11:02 PM   #15
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
For the record, this is way cooler than cryto on hipsterrunoff. Even if they did call him an unruly mexi bro.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2010, 11:41 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Igziabeher.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2010, 01:07 AM   #17
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
For the record, this is way cooler than cryto on hipsterrunoff. Even if they did call him an unruly mexi bro.
Truth
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2010, 10:20 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
http:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth