Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Die like a rockstar!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.03.2006, 09:26 AM   #41
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
This, in my opinion, is the truly saddest musician death out there, both because of the circumstances and because she seems to have been a genuinely decent person:

After the success of "Tropical Brainstorm", Kirsty MacColl decided to take a much needed holiday. She went to Cozumel, Mexico, along with her partner, musician James Knight, and her sons. She intended to introduce her sons during the trip to an activity she loved - scuba diving.

On December 18, 2000, she and her sons went diving in Cozumel, in a specific diving area that watercraft were restricted from entering. With the group was a local veteran divemaster, Ivan Diaz. As the group was surfacing from a dive, a speeding powerboat entered the restricted area. MacColl saw the boat coming for her sons. Louis was not in the boat's path, but Jamie was. She was able to push him out of the way (he sustained minor head and rib injuries) but in doing so, the boat hit her and she was killed instantly.

It was subsequently discovered that the boat was owned by Mexican supermarket millionaire Guillermo González Nova (owner of Comercial Mexicana), who was on board with several members of his family. A boathand, José Cen Yam, claimed to have been driving the boat when the accident occurred. However, several eyewitnesses have indicated that Cen Yam was not at the controls; eyewitnesses also indicate that González Nova's boat was traveling at far higher speeds at the time of the accident than the one knot claimed by González Nova.

Cen Yam was found guilty of culpable homicide and was initially sentenced to 2 years 10 months; he was, however, under Mexican law, allowed to pay a punitive fine of 1034 pesos (about US$90) in lieu of a prison sentence of that many days. He was also ordered to pay approximately US$2150 in restitution to MacColl's family, an amount based on his meager wages. A British newspaper report in 2005 claimed that Cen Yam had been heard saying he had bought a house with money he had been paid for taking the blame for the incident.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 09:27 AM   #42
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Per Yngve Ohlin - AKA "Dead" (January 16, 1969 – April 8, 1991) - vocalist for Norwegian black metallers Mayhem.

On April 8, 1991, a fellow Mayhem band member, Řystein 'Euronymous' Aarseth, found Dead dead, with slit wrists, and a shotgun wound to the head. The suicide note that was found with his corpse simply read "Excuse all the blood" (Hellhammer later elaborated that the note was a bit more detailed, including apologies for having to use the shotgun inside the house but the knife was just too dull to finish the job). Euronymous then ran off and bought a disposable camera and took pictures of the grisly scene. Aarseth was also said to have eaten parts of Dead's brain, and to have made necklaces out of fragments of his skull. The necklace was later stolen while on tour. It is also rumoured that pieces of his skull were mailed out to bands that Aarseth saw as "worthy", such as the Swiss band Samael.

dead was fucked up. the whole band was fucked.. they put a picture of his dead, bloated, bloody corpse on the cover of an album, and i THINK it was Dead who would bury his clothes out somewhere so when concert time came around he could wear literally, rotting rags on stage.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 09:27 AM   #43
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Is he?Where did you find out because google hasn't been great help today?And where does he live and what is he up to at the moment?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 09:28 AM   #44
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
wikipedia.
right now at this very moment he is making a cup of tea.
Old 08.03.2006, 09:29 AM   #45
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
dead was fucked up. the whole band was fucked.. they put a picture of his dead, bloated, bloody corpse on the cover of an album.
I agree totally. But if you want bizarre deaths, you can't not mention Scandinavian death metal bands, can you?
Old 08.03.2006, 09:29 AM   #46
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Good news.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 09:34 AM   #47
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I agree totally. But if you want bizarre deaths, you can't not mention Scandinavian death metal bands, can you?

its true. i read a whole lot about mayhem .. the drummer "Hellhammer" is a huge racist.
  • "I'll put it this way, we don't like black people here. Black metal is for white people."
  • "I'm pretty convinced that there are differences between races as well as anything else. I think that like animals, some races are more.... you know, like a cat is much more intelligent than a bird or a cow, or even a dog, and I think that's also the case with different races."
  • "(In reference to the infamous Norwegian church arsons committed by black metal musicians) I don't know, because from the first time I was against the burning of the Norwegian churches. Totally. I told them, why not burn up a mosque, the foreign churches from the Hindu and Islamic jerks- why not take those out instead of setting fires to some very old Norwegian artworks? They could have taken mosques instead, with plenty of people in them!"

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 08.03.2006, 09:36 AM   #48
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses

and that's all i will say.
Old 08.03.2006, 09:42 AM   #49
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

mr. boring himself

Old 08.03.2006, 09:43 AM   #50
sonicl
invito al cielo

To continue the Norwegian death metal theme:

Řystein Aarseth - AKA Euronymous (March 22, 1968 - August 10, 1993)
Guitarist for the Norwegian black metal band Mayhem

Remember him? He's the one who found his mate had shot himself and ran to get a camera, then sent bits of skull to lucky deserving people...

In 1993, Řystein Aarseth was fatally stabbed by Varg Vikernes (AKA Burzum), at the time going by the alias "Count Grishnackh". According to official reports Řystein received a total of twenty-three wounds: two to the head, five to the neck, and sixteen to the back. Vikernes disputes this, claiming instead that Aarseth fell back on broken glass, accounting for the high number of back punctures found on the corpse.

There is much speculation as regards the motive for the murder, Vikernes has stated that the stabbing was motivated mostly by self-defence, though the circumstances make this seem unlikely. A debt owed by Řystein to Vikernes in relation to recording and promotional costs incurred by Burzum seems more likely.
Old 08.03.2006, 09:46 AM   #51
k-krack
invito al cielo

I think it's Burzum who is still making music (albeit, sort of really fucked up wierd electronica) in prison. his music is really cool though.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 08.03.2006, 09:52 AM   #52
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Jhonn Balance.

http://www.thresholdhouse.com/death.html

Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 09:55 AM   #53
touch me i'm sick
expwy. to yr skull

touch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's assestouch me i'm sick kicks all y'all's asses
hah his fluffy sweater is absurd
touch me i'm sick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 09:57 AM   #54
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Country music legend.

On January 1, 1953, Hank Williams was due to play in Canton, Ohio, but he was unable to fly due to weather problems. He hired a chauffeur and, before leaving the old Andrew Johnson Hotel in Knoxville, Tennessee was injected with B12 and morphine. He then left in a Cadillac, carrying a bottle of whiskey with him.
When the seventeen year-old chauffeur pulled over at an all-night service station in Oak Hill, West Virginia, he discovered that Williams was unresponsive and becoming rigid. Upon closer examination, it was discovered that Hank Williams was dead. Controversy has since surrounded Williams' death with some claiming Wiiliams was dead before leaving Knoxville. He was 30.
Old 08.03.2006, 10:00 AM   #55
space_monkey
bad moon rising

space_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's asses
you have all forget Jim Morrison!
space_monkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 10:01 AM   #56
space_monkey
bad moon rising

space_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's assesspace_monkey kicks all y'all's asses

space_monkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 10:03 AM   #57
sonicl
invito al cielo

On September 24, 1980, Bonham was picked up by Led Zeppelin assistant Rex King from The Old Hyde to be at rehearsals at Bray Studios for the upcoming tour of the United States, the band's first since 1977. During the journey Bonham had asked to stop for breakfast, where he downed four quadruple vodkas (roughly sixteen shots of vodka), with a ham roll. After taking a bite of the ham roll he said to his assistant 'Breakfast.' He then continued to drink when he arrived at the studio. A halt was called to the rehearsals late in the evening and the band retired to Page's house — The Old Mill House in Clewer, Windsor. After midnight, Bonham had fallen asleep and was taken to bed on his side. It was rumored that he had a total of forty shots that night. Tour Manager Benji LeFevre and John Paul Jones found him dead the next morning. Bonham was just 32. The cause of death was asphyxiation caused by choking on his own vomit.

What a tosser.
Old 08.03.2006, 10:04 AM   #58
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses

Thomas "Quorthon" Forsberg (February 17, 1966June 7, 2004) was the founder and main song writer of the pioneering Swedish black metal band Bathory. His fans considered him the father of both the black metal and viking metal genres, the latter having a more evolved and operatic style. He composed the music and wrote the lyrics on all of Bathory's albums.
Quorthon formed Bathory in 1984 when he was 18 years old. Always underfunded, the quality of the albums was rough and eventually created a style that many bands would later emulate. In fact, he personally paid for the production of Bathory's music video for "One Rode to Asa Bay" in 1990. The video was shown on MTV's Headbanger's Ball, though he had not yet seen it at the time he was interviewed for the program.
Beginning in the 1990s, he took full control of Bathory, choosing to forego performing live in order to spend time recording music with hired musicians. He also played a bass guitar on almost all of his albums, and mostly used a drum machine or a session drummer.
In 1993 Quorthon set Bathory aside and recorded and released two albums under the name "Quorthon". First was called Album released in 1994, and Purity of Essence in 1997. The albums were more rock oriented than Bathory's black/viking metal style. While working on these albums he found new inspiration to continue composing music for Bathory.
Bathory's next albums were in a retro-thrash metal style, unlike previous releases. But in 1996 Quorthon released Blood on Ice a concept album which he recorded in 1989 but didn't release because he thought that it was unfinished. Blood on Ice returns to Bathory's viking metal style. His next albums followed in that vein as did the Nordland saga. It was planed as a four-album set, but only two were finished.
He was found dead in his apartment on June 7, 2004, apparently from heart failure. [1] He was 39 years old and was known to suffer from heart problems.
His father, Börje "Boss" Forsberg, is the owner of Black Mark Productions, an independent record label that Quorthon founded.

(wiki has a source stating that he died of heart problems but in reality, it is unknown)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 10:04 AM   #59
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Brad Nowell of Sublime died of a heroin overdose.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2006, 10:06 AM   #60
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses

Robert Johnson was born in Hazlehurst, Mississippi in 1911. His wife Virginia Travis died while giving birth on April 19, 1930.
Robert Johnson recorded only 29 songs on a total of 41 tracks extant in two recording sessions in San Antonio, Texas in November 1936 and Dallas, Texas in June 1937. Notable among these tracks are "Come on in My Kitchen", "Love in Vain", "Sweet Home Chicago", "Crossoads Blues", "Terraplane Blues", and "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom", all of which have been covered by other artists. Two modern collections of these recordings have been particularly influential to contemporary audiences, although many editions of his limited output have been released. King of the Delta Blues Singers (1961) helped popularize the blues for crossover audiences in the 1960s, and The Complete Recordings (1990) provided his entire oeuvre on one dual-CD set.
Johnson was a private man of his time, this being a major factor in modern day speculation about his life, death and musical career. Rumor and mythology have embraced Johnson throughout history; accounts, stories and truths have been fabricated many times over to tailor the legend. However, some things are known and recollections tells us of his secrecy toward the sharing of his own work with other musicians. When recording the 29 compositions (his life's work) he sat with his face to the wall while the recording was in process. Only speculation can explain this (could have been simply to increase isolation of the microphone for the sound quality of the recording, or so other people couldn't see how he played guitar and steal his style, which was common back in that day). Johnson was also known to be a womanizer, a drinker, and a rambler who often hopped trains for transportation--the walking incarnation of a "bluesman."
Speculation and mythology are rife concerning Johnson, especially with regard to his untimely end. Recollection survives that Johnson died after drinking whiskey poisoned with strychnine, supposedly given to him by the jealous husband of a lover or his own jealous girlfriend. Fellow blues singer Sonny Boy Williamson II was present the night of Johnson's poisoning (even warning him against accepting a pre-opened bottle of whiskey) giving the account that he died whilst on his hands and knees "howling and barking like a dog". Others believe that Johnson recovered from the initial poisoning and survived for a matter of weeks, only to contract pneumonia and die on 16 August 1938 in Greenwood, Mississippi. Also, it was reported that it was believed that Johnson died from syphilis; this has no basis in medical fact. The precise cause of death remains unknown; his death certificate simply states "no doctor" under cause of death. Johnson's last words were supposedly "I pray that my redeemer will come and take me from my grave."
The most widely known legend surrounding Robert Johnson says that he sold his soul to the Devil at the crossroads of U.S. Highway 61 and U.S. Highway 49 in Clarksdale, Mississippi in exchange for prowess in playing the guitar. Actually, the location Johnson made reference to is a short distance away from that intersection. The legend was told mainly by Son House, but finds no corroboration in any of Johnson's work, despite titles like "Me and the Devil Blues" and "Hellhound on My Trail". With this said, the song "Cross Road Blues" is both widely and loosely interpreted by many as a descriptive encounter of Johnson selling his soul. The older Tommy Johnson (no relation, although it is speculated that they were cousins), by contrast, also claimed to have sold his soul to the Devil. The story goes that if one would go to the crossroads a little before midnight and begin to play the guitar, a large black man would come up to the aspiring guitarist, retune his guitar and then hand it back. At this point (so the legend goes) the guitarist had sold his soul to become a virtuoso (A similar legend even surrounded virtuoso violinist Niccolň Paganini a century before.)
There are very few images of Johnson; only two confirmed photographs exist. An eight-second film, which was thought to show Robert Johnson, was proved not to be him; an image of a poster in its background advertised a film which was released two years after his death.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth