Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.17.2016, 06:36 AM   #1961
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...coloring-book/

Highest score this year, along with the new Radiohead (which I think they overrated a bit). Well deserved.

Yeah, even higher than Pablo, for fuck's sake! Which I MIGHT agree with on a strictly song by song basis simply because of Pablo filler like "I love Kanye", but I do think it's a stretch. Coloring Book is to Pablo what Pusha's MNIMN was to Yeezus. I don't think we'd have the album as it sounds or exists without Kanye's to set the tone. Also, I don't think this album has anything that's as musically extraordinary as Famous, Real friends or (especially) Fade.

Still, that's gotta be the highest rating they've ever given to a "mixtape." Correct me if I'm wrong, but not even golden era Wayne (Dedication, Draught) came close to scoring so high.

Whatever though. S'all good.

And yeah, they definitely overrated A Moon Shaped Pool a bit/lot. Both TLOP and Coloring Book are much better. Radiohead should have been given an 8.1-2 at best. Just my opinion.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2016, 08:30 AM   #1962
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
What the hell was p-fork thinking when they wrote this pullout, though?

Quote:
Quote from Pitchfork's Kris Ex:
Chance the Rapper's Coloring Book is one of the strongest rap albums released this year, an uplifting mix of spiritual and grounded that even an atheist can catch the Spirit to.

Ok... Where to begin. With the comma splice? The reference to the project as an album? The clunky phrasing? ("Mix of spiritual and grounded..." what, chief? Dying to know, over here.) Or the fact that this tagline run-on sentence ends with a *fucking* preposition?

To be fair, I understand what the writer is saying in that last bit; that, essentially, you don't need to be religious to be moved by the album. But it sounds like he's saying that you can "catch the Spirit" (that should be a lower case "s," boss, unless you're referring to the Holy Spirit, which, last I checked, was not contagious) to the record. As in, while listening to the record.

I think he means that we can all appreciate the artistic spirit of Chance's new music. But it sounds like he's talking about a fucking dance called "Catch the Spirit" that can be done to the "album."

Long story short, this is really lazy, bullshit writing. I should know. I do so much lazy, bullshit writing every day. But this would never make it past a proofreader, or even a grammar check, in my world.
Old 05.17.2016, 08:33 AM   #1963
Severian
invito al cielo

Obviously, I should put my money where my mouth is, and submit some reviews to Pitchfork to see if I can do any better. But that's probably not going to happen. I'd rather write for Newsarama. For free.

Anyway, Coloring Book is not an album, but it's my second favorite album of the year so far. I have so much more to say about it. I thank the lord that there's another hip-hop record that's strong enough to get me jacked the fuck up about music this year. I thought my load had been blown for me early on.
Old 05.17.2016, 12:05 PM   #1964
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
What the hell was p-fork thinking when they wrote this pullout, though?

Ok... Where to begin. With the comma splice? The reference to the project as an album? The clunky phrasing? ("Mix of spiritual and grounded..." what, chief? Dying to know, over here.) Or the fact that this tagline run-on sentence ends with a *fucking* preposition?

To be fair, I understand what the writer is saying in that last bit; that, essentially, you don't need to be religious to be moved by the album. But it sounds like he's saying that you can "catch the Spirit" (that should be a lower case "s," boss, unless you're referring to the Holy Spirit, which, last I checked, was not contagious) to the record. As in, while listening to the record.

I think he means that we can all appreciate the artistic spirit of Chance's new music. But it sounds like he's talking about a fucking dance called "Catch the Spirit" that can be done to the "album."

Long story short, this is really lazy, bullshit writing. I should know. I do so much lazy, bullshit writing every day. But this would never make it past a proofreader, or even a grammar check, in my world.
Hahahahahaha!
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2016, 12:06 PM   #1965
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
"Tryna turn my baby mama to my fiancée. She like music, she from Houston like Auntie Yoncé."
Old 05.17.2016, 12:08 PM   #1966
louder
invito al cielo

I have Coloring Book, Lemonade and We Are KING on top of 2016 right now. I love every single song on those albums and consider them perfect. Then there's Malibu which is nearly perfect as well but Anderson .Paak is still relatively new and his best is yet to come, so I'd like to give him one or two more albums to fully evolve. And then there's Blackstar which I find incredible but extremely sad due to the circumstances so I can't listen to it often.

Oddly enough, untitled unmastered. is out of my top 5, although Kendrick is my favorite rapper and To Pimp a Butterfly killed 2015 for me. It's still a great project, it only goes to show how dope 2016 has been.
Old 05.17.2016, 08:59 PM   #1967
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
looking fwd to Coloring Book hitting non-Apple services.
Old 05.18.2016, 10:08 AM   #1968
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have Coloring Book, Lemonade and We Are KING on top of 2016 right now. I love every single song on those albums and consider them perfect. Then there's Malibu which is nearly perfect as well but Anderson .Paak is still relatively new and his best is yet to come, so I'd like to give him one or two more albums to fully evolve. And then there's Blackstar which I find incredible but extremely sad due to the circumstances so I can't listen to it often.

Oddly enough, untitled unmastered. is out of my top 5, although Kendrick is my favorite rapper and To Pimp a Butterfly killed 2015 for me. It's still a great project, it only goes to show how dope 2016 has been.

Kanye
Chance
Beyoncé
Polly Jean
Pampa vol. 1
Kendrick
Moderat
Radiohead
Big Ups
Kaytranada

I actually think this year's been pretty motherfucking slow all things considered. Especially in hip-hop. But this handful of high quality releases is holding my attention pretty well. Blackstar too.
Old 05.18.2016, 12:04 PM   #1969
louder
invito al cielo

Kinda slow in terms of hip-hop, yes, but R&B has been blessing me.

It's pretty crazy that the main 3 hip hop artists of the decade: Kanye, Kendrick and Drake all put albums this year, yet no one of them made it to my top 5.
Old 05.18.2016, 01:19 PM   #1970
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I dedicate hit em up to my grad advisor who is the first person i have sincerely loathed with a spiteful and sinful passion since my partner in crime robbed me ten years ago

Fuck her. Glad I'm done. Good riddance. And yes, i will be filing several official written compaints with the university. God willing someone will finally reprimand this bitch.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 01:44 PM   #1971
louder
invito al cielo

"Dishes smashed on my counter from our last encounter
Pictures snatched out the frame
Bitch, I scratched out your name and your face
What is it about you that I can't erase, baby?"
Old 05.18.2016, 02:07 PM   #1972
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
anyone can freestyle using slant rhymes.

WACK
Old 05.18.2016, 04:17 PM   #1973
louder
invito al cielo

Those were Beyonce lyrics, not a rapper's. And I feel like my heart is stabbed repeatedly when I listen to that song. But anyway, honestly who cares about rhyming anymore? If I was looking for that in rap music, I'd be listening to Eminem all day. Great rappity raps for the sake of rapping, yes, but he's still an uninteresting artist who talks about nothing on his songs. Hip hop has changed and people don't rap the same way as in the 80's or the 90's or even the 00's, deal with it.
Old 05.18.2016, 08:46 PM   #1974
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I dedicate hit em up to my grad advisor who is the first person i have sincerely loathed with a spiteful and sinful passion since my partner in crime robbed me ten years ago

Fuck her. Glad I'm done. Good riddance. And yes, i will be filing several official written compaints with the university. God willing someone will finally reprimand this bitch.

Hey congrats man! You're done with grad school? Fuck yeah, bro!

And grad advisors are the worst.
Old 05.18.2016, 09:04 PM   #1975
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Kinda slow in terms of hip-hop, yes, but R&B has been blessing me.

It's pretty crazy that the main 3 hip hop artists of the decade: Kanye, Kendrick and Drake all put albums this year, yet no one of them made it to my top 5.
have you heard the new alexandria ep on awful? produced by and featuring a bunch of those guys, even better than her earlier full-length and ep from a couple years back. like a more club-geared aaliyah, fuckloads of sub and alexandria floating on top of it all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7t5fIVH48

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 09:05 PM   #1976
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hey congrats man! You're done with grad school? Fuck yeah, bro!

And grad advisors are the worst.
Yes. Three weeks

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.18.2016, 10:47 PM   #1977
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yes. Three weeks

Fucking serious congratulations, my friend. Respect.
Old 05.19.2016, 04:19 AM   #1978
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
have you heard the new alexandria ep on awful? produced by and featuring a bunch of those guys, even better than her earlier full-length and ep from a couple years back. like a more club-geared aaliyah, fuckloads of sub and alexandria floating on top of it all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7t5fIVH48
Yeah she's cool.
Old 05.19.2016, 09:53 AM   #1979
Severian
invito al cielo

Wait, louder, fucking DRAKE is your #3 favorite hip-hop artist of the past decade? Really man? What about Rocky? What about Danny? What about Push? Or Killer Mike/Run the Jewels? What about CHANCE for that matter?

I know we're all prone to flipping and flopping a bit over time, but as a guy who actually does appreciate some of Drake's music, I still can't fathom how or why anyone would prefer him to these guys.

Also, what's up untitled unmastered. falling out of favor? It's really not a true album. It's a mini-LP to tide us over, and I think it has moments that go just as hard as TPAB.
Old 05.19.2016, 02:02 PM   #1980
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Wait, louder, fucking DRAKE is your #3 favorite hip-hop artist of the past decade? Really man? What about Rocky? What about Danny? What about Push? Or Killer Mike/Run the Jewels? What about CHANCE for that matter?

I know we're all prone to flipping and flopping a bit over time, but as a guy who actually does appreciate some of Drake's music, I still can't fathom how or why anyone would prefer him to these guys.

Also, what's up untitled unmastered. falling out of favor? It's really not a true album. It's a mini-LP to tide us over, and I think it has moments that go just as hard as TPAB.
No no no man, you got it all wrong. I said he's one of "big 3" overall. I wasn't talking about my own preference. If you ask everyone about their favorite rapper of the current decade, most will say Kendrick or Drake or Kanye, you know how it is..
89969798 99 100101102109149 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth