Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Artists in 2010s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.21.2016, 09:54 AM   #41
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Rock music is dead. DEAD.

You know saying something wrong in all caps just makes you more wrong, right?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2016, 10:26 AM   #42
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I was shouting it. It is dead. Everything has it's life-span. There are still bands full of weekend warriors who get together to play dixieland jazz, but it is pure nostalgia and not a living, breathing genre.

The same goes for barbershop, rockabilly, "punk", big band swing, etc. They are all dead, and only a faint memory continues to exist. Soon what we all call rock n roll will be the same.

the sounds made by electric guitars and drums have been bombarding our collective ears since the 1950's, well over 60 years now.

I love rock and noisy rock the most, but I can see the writing on the wall.

I think Nirvana was the last dying gasp at rock n roll relevancy, and it was essentially a funeral dirge....

The music still lives, but the rock n roll culture, if there ever was one, is dead.
Old 01.21.2016, 11:25 AM   #43
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
You're throwing punk in with Dixieland and barbershop?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2016, 12:15 PM   #44
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
https://youtu.be/XlWKky7taFc
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2016, 12:26 PM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You're throwing punk in with Dixieland and barbershop?

yes, music is music. genres come and go, they have their peaks and they fade away. They rarely if ever come back to the forefront of culture. In 20 years hip hop will be "Old people's" music and the kids will thing that the Boom Bap, Boom Boom Bap, sounds as played and inert and lifeless as I find the fucking Eagles.

Remember, "punk" is not a musical genre, but a style of presentation, which is why it can encompass bands as varied as Ramones and Butthole Surfers....

"punk" instrumentation is largely just regular old rock n roll instrumentation.

The saddest thing I see is going to local underground shows and having to sit through yet another band trying to sound like Bad Religion. Jesus fuck, it is OVER people!!!!!!!
Old 01.21.2016, 01:11 PM   #46
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand why you care so much about the future of music or why you go to see bands that sound like Bad Religion.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2016, 02:01 PM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

(a) Music is my second oldest friend (next to books) and I love it and seek it out like nourishment.

(b) You've never gone to see a band at random, or gone to see an act you like and had to sit through 2-5 horribly derivative "high-school" bands?
Old 01.21.2016, 03:28 PM   #48
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Support bands suck most of the time these days, it's true, but that doesn't mean that rock music is done. There are still youngish people playing it and playing it well and sounding fresh.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2016, 04:35 PM   #49
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yes, music is music. genres come and go, they have their peaks and they fade away. They rarely if ever come back to the forefront of culture. In 20 years hip hop will be "Old people's" music and the kids will thing that the Boom Bap, Boom Boom Bap, sounds as played and inert and lifeless as I find the fucking Eagles.

Remember, "punk" is not a musical genre, but a style of presentation, which is why it can encompass bands as varied as Ramones and Butthole Surfers....

"punk" instrumentation is largely just regular old rock n roll instrumentation.

The saddest thing I see is going to local underground shows and having to sit through yet another band trying to sound like Bad Religion. Jesus fuck, it is OVER people!!!!!!!

Ok, but dude- "boom bap" is already old folks' music. Oldish, anyway. People our age (mid thirties - forties) are the youngest folks who truly dig that style of hip-hop.

I read an interview with Young Thug where he straight up said he didn't like Jay-Z (?!) ... He "recognizes his influence" but that "wasn't his era." And in a lengthy editorial I found on Flipboard not long ago titled something like "The Old School I Killing Hip-hop," some kid ranted for several paragraphs about how Wu Tang Clan and Tribe and Biggie didn't matter anymore, saying that the current marble-mouthed jibber jabber of Future and Young Thug represented an all time peak for creativity in hip-hop.

Sorry to get off topic, but I felt compelled to point out that "boom bap" is probably already considered as ancient as the Eagles.
Old 01.21.2016, 05:14 PM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Support bands suck most of the time these days, it's true, but that doesn't mean that rock music is done. There are still youngish people playing it and playing it well and sounding fresh.

sounding fresh, and BEING fresh are two different things.

There are always new sounds to make as a rock band, but the audience is thinning, the exposure is becoming non-existent, and "rock" music will soon become solely the realm of weekend amateur musicians, and will never again affect the whole of our culture again.
Old 01.21.2016, 05:15 PM   #51
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok, but dude- "boom bap" is already old folks' music. Oldish, anyway. People our age (mid thirties - forties) are the youngest folks who truly dig that style of hip-hop.

I read an interview with Young Thug where he straight up said he didn't like Jay-Z (?!) ... He "recognizes his influence" but that "wasn't his era." And in a lengthy editorial I found on Flipboard not long ago titled something like "The Old School I Killing Hip-hop," some kid ranted for several paragraphs about how Wu Tang Clan and Tribe and Biggie didn't matter anymore, saying that the current marble-mouthed jibber jabber of Future and Young Thug represented an all time peak for creativity in hip-hop.

Sorry to get off topic, but I felt compelled to point out that "boom bap" is probably already considered as ancient as the Eagles.

I meant ALL the boom bap, the very concept of hip hop, a beat and a rhymer, will seem as dated as a jug band or a harpsichord.
Old 01.21.2016, 06:00 PM   #52
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Flipping through Robert Christgau's boring ass book, I came across the historical fact that by the early seventies, "Rock is Dead" was already a cliche! Generally speaking: just cuz you can't imagine something new doesn't mean someone else can't.

I address this to no post in particular. Just throwing it out there.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2016, 01:04 AM   #53
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
man, fuck Young Thug and that idiot kid? nobody wants to hear that bullshit!

always chiming in with some hip hop shit. too pussy to be a real noise terrorist. instead you throw out some retarded flabber mouth "peak of hip hop" crap some writer wrote.

I don't think the guy was right. Just the opposite. You're right. Fuck him. Fuck Young Thug. Fuck Future's mumbley ass. I'd take old man rap like Jay or Wu or Tribe over that fucking garbage any day.
Old 01.22.2016, 10:22 AM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I bet those people playing in those Dixeland bands are having the time of their lives though.

hell yeah. music is for fun, it is for enjoyment and more power to them.
Old 01.22.2016, 10:26 AM   #55
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't think the guy was right. Just the opposite. You're right. Fuck him. Fuck Young Thug. Fuck Future's mumbley ass. I'd take old man rap like Jay or Wu or Tribe over that fucking garbage any day.

YOung Thug has some slammin tracks though....

Jay Z and Kanye and Biggie and Pac are dinosaurs to these kids that were born in 1997. They could give a fuck and I do not blame them. It is like asking a 1987 era fanatic of Butthole Surfers and Sonic Youth if they are influenced by Jefferson Airplane. That shit was PLAYED, no matter how "weirdz" it may have been when it first came out. Same with JayZ and Tupac and Kanye.

Todays metal bands think Metallica and Slayer are goddamn dinosaurs too because they are.
Old 01.22.2016, 10:27 AM   #56
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I like Future's mumbly ass. everyone thought ODB was so great and I hated that fucks whole shtick.
Old 01.22.2016, 10:47 AM   #57
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

People talked shit about Biz Markie and EPMD being mumblers!@!!!

You Gots To Chilllllll https://youtu.be/JUGisre9xNU
Old 01.22.2016, 11:51 AM   #58
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Future is amazing.

DS2 was actually his worst project as of late, in my opinion.

Monster, Beast Mode, 56 Nights and Purple Reign are all good/great.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2016, 12:48 PM   #59
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
YOung Thug has some slammin tracks though....

Jay Z and Kanye and Biggie and Pac are dinosaurs to these kids that were born in 1997. They could give a fuck and I do not blame them. It is like asking a 1987 era fanatic of Butthole Surfers and Sonic Youth if they are influenced by Jefferson Airplane. That shit was PLAYED, no matter how "weirdz" it may have been when it first came out. Same with JayZ and Tupac and Kanye.

Todays metal bands think Metallica and Slayer are goddamn dinosaurs too because they are.

Kanye is not a dinosaur. He's the biggest rapper in the world. Also, he didn't even begin his career until almost a decade after Pac and Biggie died. He is not a peer of theirs. He's not even a true peer of Jay's.

Nobody thinks Kanye West is a "dinosaur." The Internet explodes every time he farts. You don't like him, and that's fine, but he can't be lumped in with the rest of those artists.
Old 01.22.2016, 01:31 PM   #60
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Future is amazing.

DS2 was actually his worst project as of late, in my opinion.

Monster, Beast Mode, 56 Nights and Purple Reign are all good/great.

Yeah, ok, sorry louder. You're right, I do like Future. At least, I like Pluto, Honest, parts of Monster and 56 Nights and his features. Some of the tunes on WATTBA are pretty choice. Haven't heard Purple Reign yet, but...

My main complaint with him is that he seems to be stuck in one place. DS2 was a disaster. Also, he's just getting hyped to high heaven by the hip-hop community, and I think that's bullshit. He's got talent but more often than not he seems to phone it in. And I really don't like the one dimensional "drug addict and loving in" thing. He's decided to be kind of a niche artist instead of pushing himself into new sonic areas.

In other words, he's the fucking opposite of Kanye. Even Drake, who I also have beef with but enjoy listening to, has a wider range than Future.

Future could fix this any time. I'd love to see him really step up and put himself out there.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth