Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Star Wars: Original Unaltered Trilogy on DVD
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.03.2006, 08:52 PM   #1
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
copy paste guru at work, also i must be the only other person who doesn't hate the new trilogy, but then again i did vote star trek over star wars, so i am weird

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.
See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. International release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory. "Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I was watching this about a month ago and it looks a lot more like shit than when I was younger.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 08:55 PM   #3
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I bought the vhs trilogy box set used at my local record store for, I think, three dollars. The tapes are in mint conditon & the box is only slightly worn. This was the set that marked the last time the movies were released before any "digital enhancements".

That is cool that Lucas is finally putting out DVDs of the originals. It's sort of funny though that he seemingly doesn't even care if this offering is an admission that he might have made a few mistakes with his alterations; just as long as it makes him even more piles of money, that is.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 09:15 PM   #4
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
why the fuck aren't they releasing 'a new hope'?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 09:31 PM   #5
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm glad the originals are coming out on dvd, but I think I'll stick to my VHS tapes. The new trilogy is something that I don't really plan on ever buying unless they are dirt cheap. Some of the things they were added were pretty great, but for the most part they kind of made the movie worse and a joke. To me the biggest offense is in Jedi where the band in Jabba's palace do that horrible R&B puke fest. That realllly pissed me off. Mainly because when I was a little kid I really loved the original song that they play. You know the one with the fat white alien guy that is getting down on that clarinet/saxophone thing. Damn you George Lucas.
Old 05.03.2006, 10:01 PM   #6
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
finding nobody- they are A New Hope goes by both ANH and just Star Wars.

I have these on VHS. Unless there's nutloads of special stuff, I'm sticking with those.
Old 05.03.2006, 10:45 PM   #7
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
copy paste guru at work, also i must be the only other person who doesn't hate the new trilogy, but then again i did vote star trek over star wars, so i am weird

voting star trek over star wars doesn't make you weird, it makes you sane.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 11:04 PM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I know what torrents I am searching for September 12th!
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2006, 01:47 AM   #9
stirling
bad moon rising

stirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's asses
So...does anyone want to buy my original VHS fullscreen trilogy or new widescreen DVD trilogy?
(of course, in a couple years, conveniently just in time for christmas shopping season, they will all be released again in a hi-res HD version with an actual 24fps)
stirling is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2006, 09:15 AM   #10
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Good news, except for the fact that it was a scam from the beginning and now George Lucas will make twice the profit
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Lethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard sucka
man, lucas is one greedy bastard. why do we have to pay for 2 disc editions with the altered one also included? um, george, most of us bought those the day they came out on dvd. so now we gotta pay for a 2 disc of each, so im gonna have 2 copys of the altered ones just so i can have the original 3 unaltered.

i cant believe that he is the man behind something i love as much as star wars

i consider you dumb, ignorant, and irrelevant
perhaps more than a fly, but less than a fart. a joke - !@#$%!

Death by a firing squard of ten black gay men would be too good for this shithead. - atari2600

loser retard. pothead - !@#$%!

you're a real prick for acting so daft & being so disagreeable on purpose - atari2600

On the contrary, tesla69 is idiota numero uno - atari2600
Lethrneck4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 01:49 AM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
What the fuck is Star Wars?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 02:09 AM   #13
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
those movies were released like 30 years ago, right?

i wish the harder they come or carrie would have 359 different versions floating around the market.

so there's another star wars re-explotation but they can't still put out the decline of western civilization I and II on dvd?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 12:56 PM   #14
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
"Star Wars" is what people called episode IV/a new hope back in the day. no one bothered with that epIV/ANH shit back then, niggaz just called it star wars. in fact if someone used the terms episode IV or A New Hope to my face, I'd slap them for being brainwashed by old paedo Lucas.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 02:57 PM   #15
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
"Star Wars" is what people called episode IV/a new hope back in the day. no one bothered with that epIV/ANH shit back then, niggaz just called it star wars. in fact if someone used the terms episode IV or A New Hope to my face, I'd slap them for being brainwashed by old paedo Lucas.

For real.
Old 05.06.2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I'm glad the originals are coming out on dvd, but I think I'll stick to my VHS tapes. The new trilogy is something that I don't really plan on ever buying unless they are dirt cheap. Some of the things they were added were pretty great, but for the most part they kind of made the movie worse and a joke. To me the biggest offense is in Jedi where the band in Jabba's palace do that horrible R&B puke fest. That realllly pissed me off. Mainly because when I was a little kid I really loved the original song that they play. You know the one with the fat white alien guy that is getting down on that clarinet/saxophone thing. Damn you George Lucas.

Fucking amen. I hate the new Jabba scene. Like you though, I do like a lot of the additions...such as the exploding death star effects.

I'm still on the fence about young Anakin vs. old in the final scene of ROTJ.

I bought the VHS box set when it came out (96?) and it said "own the original trilogy for the last time" or something like that.
"I should have known better..."
Old 05.06.2006, 03:15 PM   #17
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Not to nitpick or anything...but wasn't ANH/Star Wars always known as "Episode IV"?

I remember asking my dad when I was like 6 "why does it say Episode IV?" Are there other movies you are hiding from me? Why isn't it Episode I?

My dad was like..."uh"..."just watch the movie".

Sad to admit, I can answer this. When the film first premiered in 1977 the "Episode IV" line was not present. It was added shortly after Lucas knew it was a hit and would be able to make the other 2 movies.
Old 05.06.2006, 03:19 PM   #18
krastian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neongod

I'm still on the fence about young Anakin vs. old in the final scene of ROTJ.

I bought the VHS box set when it came out (96?) and it said "own the original trilogy for the last time" or something like that.
"I should have known better..."

I think a young Anakin is stupid. I mean Obi Wan is old, right?

I bought the VHS tapes too awhile back (the widescreen versions in the Vader box). I honestly don't see myself buying them on dvd for a long time. I've always watched them on VHS so it all looks pretty normal to me. I did buy Episode 3 on dvd though. I'm in no hurry to buy Episodes 1 and 2.
Old 05.06.2006, 09:25 PM   #19
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Lethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard sucka
my fav of them all is the original un altered ROTJ. as far as the special editions, lucas pretty much ruined ROTJ by making it even more gay with the alternate dance sequence in ROTJ and the changing of the celebration song at the end. also, adding young anakain to the ghost trio was ridiculous. it makes no sense whatsoever. even the added cleebrations at the end of ROTJ were to over the top and blatantly fake looking in my opinion. the best part of the original star wars was the fact they had to use models of everything. this digital crap is not real looking at all, no matter how much i try t o pretend it is

also, NONE of the prequels or the special edition DVDs came with a DTS track.

i mean, WTF is goin on???

i consider you dumb, ignorant, and irrelevant
perhaps more than a fly, but less than a fart. a joke - !@#$%!

Death by a firing squard of ten black gay men would be too good for this shithead. - atari2600

loser retard. pothead - !@#$%!

you're a real prick for acting so daft & being so disagreeable on purpose - atari2600

On the contrary, tesla69 is idiota numero uno - atari2600
Lethrneck4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2006, 11:15 AM   #20
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
what the wamp rat?
Lucas also just released through Hasbro a limited edition action figure of himself in a stormtrooper uniform.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12629997/

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth