Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sydney 26.7.06
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2006, 08:40 AM   #1
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Where do I start? Perhaps by saying tonight was the best night of my life. I'm not just saying that, it litterally was. My mate and I were sitting near the back and security comes up and asks if we want to swap for mosh pit tickets, I believe the response was something like "Hell yeah!".

Yeah, so we're at the front of the mosh pit, right in front of Lee, we wave at him, he waves back. He reached his hand out to high five everyone and I was one of the lucky few to be high fived. Later, I got Thurstons water bottle after the show.

If you saw me I had the "Beck Wishes He Was Thurston" shirt and drunk people and others were taking their photo with me. They even tried to get me to the front of the cloak room line .

The set list was something like this (in no order)
Incinerate
Reena
100%
Do you believe in Rapture?
What a Waste
Brother James (That was pretty cool)
Shaking Hell (Even cooler)
Rats
Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
Catholic Block
Or
Sleepin Around
Tourqoise Boy
The Nuetral
Lights Out
Erics Trip

And some more I forgot.
If you have any boots of it yet or you were there, post away!

Marty
ZEROpumpkins is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Lee's the coolest down to earth guy!
Nice story.
Old 07.26.2006, 08:57 AM   #3
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Lee's the coolest down to earth guy!
Nice story.
Thanks, haha it's almost 12pm and im feeling pretty cool. Lee was in his own world sometimes. We'd all be shouting "LEE" and he'd act like he couldn't hear us. Then he would suddenly react as if he just realised we were there and smile at us all. He's pretty focused on what he's doing.
Old 07.26.2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Is this your first experience with the magic of Sonic Youth... Live?
Old 07.26.2006, 09:09 AM   #5
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Is this your first experience with the magic of Sonic Youth... Live?
Yeh, what a way to start
I've seen enough live performances to expect Kim dancing though (noob question: whats with that?) She gets really taken into the music, I admire that.
Old 07.26.2006, 09:09 AM   #6
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
good i'm glad you liked it
Old 07.26.2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Rach
empty page

Rach has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I was on the barrier, kind of between lee and kim.
I also got to shake Lee's hand too, he is such a nice guy.
It really was an amazing night and performance, probably one of the best shows I've ever been too.
I have some crappy videos on my phone but I'm not entirely sure how to connect my phone to this computer but if I work it out I can post them.
Did anyone get some good photos?
Rach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 04:40 PM   #8
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach
I was on the barrier, kind of between lee and kim.
I also got to shake Lee's hand too, he is such a nice guy.
It really was an amazing night and performance, probably one of the best shows I've ever been too.
I have some crappy videos on my phone but I'm not entirely sure how to connect my phone to this computer but if I work it out I can post them.
Did anyone get some good photos?
My camera is a giant 2mp hunk-o-junk. I couldn't be bothered to take any photos, it would get too distracting. (Also I didn't expect to be so close to them).
Old 07.26.2006, 07:54 PM   #9
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
sounds like Syd was better than the Melb show, and cameras being distracting yes. there were many people getting their phones out and some with cameras with large lcds at the melb show i just wanted to grab them and smash them. it really bothers me, let the moment be the moment and don't try and capture it and annoy other people who have paid to see the stage not your lcd screen in their face.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 08:00 PM   #10
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
The set lists are getting better and better. More older stuff is being included. I wish they would've played Catholic Block when I saw them..
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 08:01 PM   #11
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Sounds like a good show. I am so bummed that I can't catch SY this year. Unless I move to France.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2006, 10:25 PM   #12
Acharis
empty page

Acharis has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
You were the guys sitting directly behind me and my friends. After you left, they put masking tape over the seats! I told my friends what happend (with the projector and all) and she was like "lucky!"
It was an awesome show.

and your shirt fucking rocks
Acharis is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 02:26 AM   #13
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis
You were the guys sitting directly behind me and my friends. After you left, they put masking tape over the seats! I told my friends what happend (with the projector and all) and she was like "lucky!"
It was an awesome show.

and your shirt fucking rocks
I knew someone here would have seen me. What's with the projector? As far as I was concerned there was no projector involved. Is that why we moved?
Old 07.27.2006, 03:03 AM   #14
samantha.
little trouble girl

samantha. has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Indeed, it was a great show. The Rather Ripped songs do sound better live. I brought my camera with me, but I didn't bother taking any photos because I was too far away to take some good photos.

ZEROpumpkins - I think I saw you and your t-shirt, but I'm not entirely sure...that's cool how you were right in front of Lee.
samantha. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 03:46 AM   #15
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha.
Indeed, it was a great show. The Rather Ripped songs do sound better live. I brought my camera with me, but I didn't bother taking any photos because I was too far away to take some good photos.

ZEROpumpkins - I think I saw you and your t-shirt, but I'm not entirely sure...that's cool how you were right in front of Lee.
The guy right behind me yelled "Lee is my Hero" almost right after someone said "Kim is a godess". I felt sorry for steve so I yelled "Steve is underrated" but I don't think many heard me.
Old 07.27.2006, 03:56 AM   #16
autolux
empty page

autolux ain't too shabbyautolux ain't too shabby
cool gig. really enjoyed the atmosphere of the band this time round. felt much more like the 90's SY, especially with that Ibold boost. came off better than the jim o'rourke tour for sure. the new material has an urgency thats been missing for a while.. or something... 'Or' was sweet, 'Pink Steam' was just short of epic, they could turn that into a serious face melter with a bit of speed to it and a noise freakout.. was i the only person who noticed manatee's or seals getting jiggy during the climax of pink steam? pretty funny considering that songs lyrics... really cool gig overall..

set list pic

autolux is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 04:59 AM   #17
girlafraid
empty page

girlafraid has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
It was great! But from where I was, everyone seemed to be standing stock still, and my friend and I were the only ones dancing... and we were in the seated section.

One of my other friends from St Johns got invited backstage twice, by Lee (!) and a roadie, to help finish the excessive VB, but she turned it down. She's not much of a Sonic Youth fan, so I guess she didn't realise that you do NOT turn down an invitation from Lee.
girlafraid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 05:27 AM   #18
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlafraid
It was great! But from where I was, everyone seemed to be standing stock still, and my friend and I were the only ones dancing... and we were in the seated section.

One of my other friends from St Johns got invited backstage twice, by Lee (!) and a roadie, to help finish the excessive VB, but she turned it down. She's not much of a Sonic Youth fan, so I guess she didn't realise that you do NOT turn down an invitation from Lee.
Old 07.27.2006, 05:41 AM   #19
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolux
set list pic

That must be the most beautiful setlist pic I've ever seen. Nice colours!
Old 07.27.2006, 05:43 AM   #20
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

It looks like something you'd find in the liner notes for washing machine.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth