Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Just black and white...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.28.2009, 07:14 AM   #1
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
This is a black-and-white type of thread about black and white. Please answer the following q's:

1. Do you think in black and white terms, re: logic, where either it is or it isn't...?
2. Do you dream in black and white or color?
3. Photography: do you work in, or prefer black and white photography over color?
4. TV or movies: Would you rather watch it in black and white or color?
5. Visual art: do you like to work in, or prefer viewing black and white art over color?
6. Clothing: Do you lean toward basic black and white or are you a splashy color dresser?
7. Do you believe that black is assoctiated with evil and white signifies all things good and pure?
8. And finally, is Jesus black or white...???
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 07:19 AM   #2
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
1. Do you think in black and white terms, re: logic, where either it is or it isn't...?

depends on the topic.?

colour!

3. Photography: do you work in, or prefer black and white photography over color?

I find b/w more interesting personally.

whether the film is bw/colour really to me is less meaningful than how good or bad the film content is.

5. Visual art: do you like to work in, or prefer viewing black and white art over color?

personally I actually prefer monochromatic works or very limited colour. I find otherwise it can just get too.. complicated and messy. Colour in artwork is more and more difficult the more you contemplate it.

6. Clothing: Do you lean toward basic black and white or are you a splashy color dresser?

black mostly.

7. Do you believe that black is assoctiated with evil and white signifies all things good and pure?

how ridiculous no.

Jesus was a mythological dude made up from a collection of stories from various cultures. So really Jesus was probably a bunch of different colours.
Old 10.28.2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
1. yes.
2. color
3. it depends what i'm shooting but i can go either way
4. color
5. color
6. black and white
7. no.
8. jesus?
Old 10.28.2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Logic is, to my mind, predicated not on definitive conclusions but on valid inference; the former suggests the 'black and white' metaphor; the latter is primarily affirmative-negative. As such, the latter aspires more to what can be shown rather than what is and is, to my mind, opposed to the notion of a bifurcation of 'black and white'. Further, 'black and white' as a metaphor always appeals to a dialectical dynamic which threatens to eternally transgress its own apparent determinateness by admitting of two possible positions.

So my answer isn't a 'yes or no', it's a 'neither/ nor' (or Mu, for those familiar with Pirsig).

Honestly, I tend not to dream.

I like good pictures. I dislike bad ones.

I'd rather not watch either.

I prefer sculpture and installation to form and colour.

This last year, much more colour, but pretty monochrome in general.

I do believe they have those associations, yes. Further, those associations have been quite explicitly stated time and time agian, particularly in the last 100 years or so. Stating empirical facts with a question mark isn't really an ideal way to extrapolate information from people.

The fact you said 'is' makes me think you believe in Jesus in the present tense; I was always raised that it's impolite to give an opinion that might impinge upon a person's particular belief system.

[/prick]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 08:33 AM   #5
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I like the pictures in the CIS booklet: they're litterally black and white, no shades of grey, that's unusual.

He was born in Palestine: probably brown.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 09:36 AM   #6
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
1 Yes
2 Color
3 No
4 Color
5 b + w
6 Most of my clothes and everything in my house is black.
7 No way
8 Most Jesuses I've met are closer to brown in complexion.

"don't worry about that," says the angel,
"soon she'll be stinking in bed with a brainless dick."
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
1. Generally yes
2. Colour
3. I prefer black and white but only in old photographs. I think I prefer colour with modern photos. Modern black and white photos don't have the character that old black and white photos do.
4. Don't mind
5. I'm no artist but I do have preference for just black and white. I got black paint banned in my preschool because I would use it a lot in everything I painted.
6. I dress pretty plainly and I'm usually wearing some black. I think I really feel better when I'm wearing only black.
7. I suppose I do but not when deciding what to wear. Black has other associations as well such as with artists dressing entirely in black or that suits, a symbol of sophistication and affluence, are often black.
8. Jesus was turquoise. everyone was back then.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

The fact you said 'is' makes me think you believe in Jesus in the present tense; I was always raised that it's impolite to give an opinion that might impinge upon a person's particular belief system.

[/prick]

You impinge on my belief system.
Old 10.28.2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus was brown.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
You impinge on my belief system.

I will FUCK UP your belief system.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.28.2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I will FUCK UP your belief system.

Oh yeah! You and whose unicorn?!

EDIT - oh wait, that contradicts my previous post.
Old 10.28.2009, 03:21 PM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

I shit hard on your unicorn.

Quote:
Old 10.28.2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Lurker
invito al cielo

Whatever minger
Old 10.28.2009, 03:57 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
1. Do you think in black and white terms, re: logic, where either it is or it isn't...? - no. almost nothing in the world is actually divisible into such didactic arrangements. Logic is not black/white, or yes/no. It is yes/no/maybe. Most things are "maybe"
2. Do you dream in black and white or color? - I rarely remember my dreams and cannot say whether they are in color or black and white.
3. Photography: do you work in, or prefer black and white photography over color? - I prefer black and white to look at, but I am a color junkie.
4. TV or movies: Would you rather watch it in black and white or color? - I like black and white, because it avoids the visual confusion of saturated colors. Too many filmmakers use saturated colors but do not truly understand how these colors affect their work.
5. Visual art: do you like to work in, or prefer viewing black and white art over color? - I like both. I paint in color but I draw in B+W
6. Clothing: Do you lean toward basic black and white or are you a splashy color dresser? - hmm, I focus on neither. I just wear what is comfortable, and what my girlfriend tells me does not look objectionable to her. ha~!
7. Do you believe that black is assoctiated with evil and white signifies all things good and pure? - I believe nothing.
8. And finally, is Jesus black or white...??? - Jews are not black, although there are black jews, and jews are not considered white by cracka-ass "aryan" assholes. so what of this?
Old 10.28.2009, 07:01 PM   #15
Conrad
stalker

Conrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's asses
1. Do you think in black and white terms, re: logic, where either it is or it isn't...? Nope
2. Do you dream in black and white or color? I honestly don't know?
3. Photography: do you work in, or prefer black and white photography over color? I really like black and white photography, but I pretty much always shoot in colour.
4. TV or movies: Would you rather watch it in black and white or color? Depends on the movie?
5. Visual art: do you like to work in, or prefer viewing black and white art over color? Other than photography, I like my art in colour.
6. Clothing: Do you lean toward basic black and white or are you a splashy color dresser? I wear a lot of black, but never white. As for colours, I wear brown, purple, green, and grey. So thrilling.
7. Do you believe that black is assoctiated with evil and white signifies all things good and pure? No, what a crock of shit.
8. And finally, is Jesus black or white...??? Jesus wasn't anything, as he wasn't real.
Old 10.28.2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses

Generally, yes. Things can nearly always be pinned down as right or wrong, although they can be subject to many variables and the same act in two different situations might fall into each of the categories. If one has any sense of morals, then one shouldn't find it hard to say if something is right or wrong, good or bad &c. Stealing, for example, is nearly always wrong, but can be right. The pussy idea that there's a lot of gray in the world is a load of leftie excuse-mongering nonsense.

Colour.

Both. I always shoot in colour, and process into B&W if I think the image in question merits it. Sometimes I present an image in boh forms, but not often.

I don't come down especially heavily on either side, but I will say B&W

Colour.

Generally a blue base with another colour or colours. Might be black, might be yellow, might be whatever.

Not at all.

He was born in the Middle East, so he wasn't white and probably not what I would call black. Definitely not white with blond hair and blue eyes though. The main window in our church portrays a darker-skinned Jesus.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 08:33 PM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
1. Do you think in black and white terms, re: logic, where either it is or it isn't...?: No. There is no black or white in life.

2. Do you dream in black and white or color? I don't remember.

3. Photography: do you work in, or prefer black and white photography over color? Both/either.

Both/either.

5. Visual art: do you like to work in, or prefer viewing black and white art over color? Both... either.

6. Clothing: Do you lean toward basic black and white or are you a splashy color dresser? Black and white dressing.

7. Do you believe that black is assoctiated with evil and white signifies all things good and pure? No.

8. And finally, is Jesus black or white...??? Jesus is most likely a fictional character, so he's whatever people want him to be. If he did exist, he was probably white-ish.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
No. There is no black or white in life.

But isn't that in itself a black or white statement? You give the definite answer of "no" and therefore that the answer is in no way yes, that there is no grey, that the answer to this question is definitely black/white. Isn't this statement self contradictory?
Old 10.28.2009, 08:43 PM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha. Good point.

Lemme rephrase:
Not really. There is rarely black or white in life.

I think there is DEFINITE wrong (child rape) and DEFINITE right (...can't think of any right now... anonymously donating to charity perhaps?) but it's pretty rare. I don't think anyone or anything is completely good or bad, and every action has some good or bad in it.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 10:29 PM   #20
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it's easier to look at things like that anyway.

Color.

I use color more than b&w. but I still use b&w a fair amount of time. I prefer shooting film in b&w.

color.

Probably white. Dunno why.

I'm all over the place when it comes to clothing, but let it be known that a good 65% of everything I own is black.

7. Do you believe that black is associated with evil and white signifies all things good and pure?
No.

I don't give a flying fuck.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth