Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page What A Sham!!!! Gilmore Girls
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.10.2006, 02:09 AM   #61
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I just watched my tape of it. That show is very.....talkative. I think I enjoyed Yo La Tengo more than the Moore crew though.
Old 05.10.2006, 02:10 AM   #62
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisemachine

Oh, and any "24" fans here? I was happy to see Mary LynnRajskub (Chloe on the show) in there doing her thing. Anyways, definitely an overall waste of time, but whatever.

24 rules. And that chick is also in one of the early Weezer videos.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 02:25 AM   #63
ShermanLoper
little trouble girl

ShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's asses
Ha Ha I knew I had to reregister on this forum for this drama! I'm to old for anyone to think I'm cool so I'll join the minority...

I like Gilmore Girls and have been watching long enough to have seen a number of Sonic Youth references and have heard their music on the show. I think it's a cute clever show. Their cameo on the show was fun and fitting. One of the writers must be a SY fan. Like it or not SY is part of pop culture. I'm glad the band has a sense of humor about it.

So if anyone wants to kick my ass now I'll be at the Sacramento show. And for the 24 fans, a drinking game. Take a drink every time they use the word "protocol". If it's plural take two drinks.
ShermanLoper is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 02:33 AM   #64
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I was wondering about the writers tastes of music too. Obviously they are down with some cool shit. I admit this was the first time I had ever seen the show, but I immediately thought of The Vaselines "Rory Rides Me Raw" when they said the girl Rory's name. There could possibly be a connection there because Rory isn't the most common name in the world......I'm probably completely wrong though.
Old 05.10.2006, 08:08 AM   #65
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Gordon shouldn't dance because she's older than Madonna?

Should she just go the full way and drop dead too?

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 08:47 AM   #66
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
I thought SY's brief appearance was pretty cool. It was nice to see them all playing as a family. Also, I don't think it was dubbed. As far as Gilmore Girls goes, I had never seen the show before, but I didn't think it was that bad. There were parts of the episode that were excruciating (i.e. the plot involving the boyfriend leaving for England), but some of the show was pretty funny (i.e. the scene at the dinner table). I'll probably never watch the show again, but I'm not upset that I watched it.
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 08:48 AM   #67
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it was pretty fucking funny! They obviously were playing it for laughs, it was such a throw away. Lo-fi vocals, like going through some cheap PA amp, cheap guitar sound, and Coco hidden under all that hair. It was a laugh, and I think that's all it was meant to be.

And I am an unabashed, avid Gilmore Girls fan. It's a cool show.
gmku is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 09:11 AM   #68
rainonlens
empty page

rainonlens has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Wow, there are alot of really insane comments here. I'm surprised really....I thought much higher of those who I assumed would not only be visiting this page, but belong to it. I guess mostly thinking that we'd all be pleased to see (obviously) one of our favorites, not only getting publicity....but having a good time in the process.

It was a funny opportunity that came their way, why would they say no? (getting to perform and be themselves in front of an audience who most likely would never see that) New album's coming out, why not try and target 'another' or wider audience if you get the chance? Let alone the fact that I don't even think their name is mentioned...this was done for their own fun, and for us fans. Because I'm assuming we were supposed to get a kick out of this....how could you not? But I really don't even think it had anything to do with that....simply an opportunity.

And as far as this 'embarassing' bullshit.....well bullshit, nothing else needs to be said.

But I really am very shocked by some of these comments, they seem so over shot and way over thought. You guys are over thinking this to much.

Show - Music - Self Expression - New Song - Dancing - Jumping - Family - FUN! That's all it comes down to.

(but I do agree with the complaints on the shortness...that was a bummer...and as for the over-dub, I'm guessing that wasn't a choice they were to make)
rainonlens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 10:50 AM   #69
SolidZach
children of satan

SolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentataSolidZach chews with a vagina dentata
That was complete garbage. The gilmore girls suck.
SolidZach is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 10:58 AM   #70
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
The daughter's name is Alexis Bleidel and yes she played the young whore in Sin City.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 10:59 AM   #71
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
And yeah, the mom was fucked by Billy Bob Thornton in Bad Santa in the hot tub. Awesome scene.
Old 05.10.2006, 11:02 AM   #72
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

I should have foreseen that the whole SY appearance on Gilmore Giorls was going to be lame. I mean, come on! It's Gilmore Girls. The show has never been any good. It's one of the worst tv shows on prime time. It's a real travesty that SY even considered doing the show. I dont kbnow what has happened to the band lately. They create a substandard record and then appear on a really really shitty tv show for less than half a minute. Maybe the band needs to get back in touch with their roots. I think they've been popular too long. They dont know what it's like to be a struggling group of nobodies.
Old 05.10.2006, 11:11 AM   #73
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYphilis
AMEN! Jesus you people are critical. It was a fun guest spot, and they did it for their daughter. Even if Coco wasn't in the spot, it's not like they get asked to do this kind of thing often. Let them enjoy it for them.

Ditto!! Well said and my senitments exactly. It was a fun, cool 10 pr 20 seconds of SY history. I loved when the town mayor (forget his name) told them there's no jumping in the town square and Kim and Thurston keep jumping. It was great.
Old 05.10.2006, 11:12 AM   #74
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

SY has always had a really cool sense of humor, and it's nice that they did the cameo for Coco, but in all seriousness, the cameo wasn't any good. Aside form the fact they did it fir their daughter, it was pointless.
Old 05.10.2006, 11:14 AM   #75
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I should have foreseen that the whole SY appearance on Gilmore Giorls was going to be lame. I mean, come on! It's Gilmore Girls. The show has never been any good. It's one of the worst tv shows on prime time. It's a real travesty that SY even considered doing the show. I dont kbnow what has happened to the band lately. They create a substandard record and then appear on a really really shitty tv show for less than half a minute. Maybe the band needs to get back in touch with their roots. I think they've been popular too long. They dont know what it's like to be a struggling group of nobodies.

I consider GG by far one of the most entertaining shows on basic television at that hour. Let's see what the alternatives are--American Idol, cop shows, e.r. shows, tabloid "news" shows like Prime Time, and maybe some ultimate fighting conference matches. Hmmm, yeah, I think I'll go with the show where they drop the occassional indie-band reference and mom and daughter talk about things like literature and movies and music. Yeah, it's corny sometimes, but that's part of its charm.
Old 05.10.2006, 12:01 PM   #76
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laila
i missed it and i don't care. i can't believe they would agree to do that. what is becoming of them?

Oh, yes. Sell-outs! Tv is bad! Down with the man!

Some of you need your heads checked. The band can do whatever the fuck they want.
Old 05.10.2006, 12:10 PM   #77
verticalwipe
empty page

verticalwipe has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
there was nothing embarrassing about it: what other show have you seen SY, Yo La Tengo and the Sparks on? better to have a show give a tip of the hat to cool bands for 15-20 seconds than not at all. I don't know what some of you clowns were expecting...

and yes, that chick from Bad Santa is crazy hot. what a great movie. I laughed til I almost vomitted...which would've fit nicely into the movie's plot line.
verticalwipe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 12:47 PM   #78
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidZach
That was complete garbage. The gilmore girls suck.

I missed the show, so HA! I'll just download the SY part somewhere and have a good laugh.
umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2006, 12:55 PM   #79
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalwipe
there was nothing embarrassing about it: what other show have you seen SY, Yo La Tengo and the Sparks on? better to have a show give a tip of the hat to cool bands for 15-20 seconds than not at all. I don't know what some of you clowns were expecting...

and yes, that chick from Bad Santa is crazy hot. what a great movie. I laughed til I almost vomitted...which would've fit nicely into the movie's plot line.

I agree, I didn't think it was embarrassing. It was funny. However, I just did not enjoy the show, nor the reason for having all these bands on. And all of these accusations of selling-out? Shit...playing CBGBs for free sounds like they're still down to earth, at least to me. Also, I don't think this was done for Coco...the band (T&K moreso) has always been upfront about liking these kinds of shows.

Also, afraid to admit this, but I've never listened to YLT. Were they the 3-piece with the woman? That was the only band besides the Sparks that got my attention other than SY. Except the old hippe guy. Oh yeah, and the girl that probably would write a song like "Smelly Cat".
Old 05.10.2006, 01:34 PM   #80
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I get the feeling that anyone who normally watches the gilmore girls was oblivious to the fact that it was half of SY on that episode and just thought they were random extras.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth