Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm interested in Blur. Anyone wanna soot the shit about them?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.03.2011, 10:32 PM   #1
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, so I am a long time fan of self-titled. I've loved it since it first came out. It reminded me, simultaneously, of Beck, with a pinch of Pavement, a salute to Nirvana, and a really eerie and intoxicatig last few tracks.

If you read my posts, you know that I'm interested in music history, and that I often compare artists to other artists from other eras.

Then I heard 13 and I thought I was dreaming. What an album! Influences from Devo and the Stooges to Spiritualized and Spacemen 3. A really fascinating album, mildly experimental in a Beatle-esque way. The Beatles and Blur are both pop bands are heart, who love to make challenging (but isolated, compaxt) litte evolutionary steps.

Think tank is incredible. I need to listen more, but it might.... just might... be as good or better than 13.

I haven't delved into anything before that, except for Parklife, which I found boring and derivative.

Any suggestions on pre-"Blur" Blur albums that might tickle my fancy a bit more, eh?

Some reviewer said they were the biggest UK band of the '90s. I want to know more about this. I lived in London for a time, but know nothing about what the English consider to be appropriately representative of themselves. It's surprising that an album as out-there and bizarre (FOR A POP RECORD... easily digestible to any Sonic Youth or Spacemen3 album, achieved success . Good shit.

What's Blur's legacy, and what are the early albums i should look into if I love B,13, and TT so much,
Thanks
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2011, 11:44 PM   #2
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
country sad ballad man is a pretty awesome song IMO

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I think Leisure is considered to be very of-its-time (shoegaze, madchester). It has this song on it (one of my favourite Blur songs) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrFpPJgxC4
Modern Life is Rubbish, Parklife and The Great Escape are a sort of Britpop trilogy, so if you don't like Parklife (probably their most popular Britpop album) then you most likely won't care for the others.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 07:15 AM   #4
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a huge fan. My favorite of their pre-BLUR albums is Modern Life Is Rubbish.
Old 11.04.2011, 10:48 AM   #5
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Parklife is not teerrible, but it's soooooo samey, and I know it was a direct reaction to the Stone Roses, but the Stone Roses did it better.

It's not a bad album, but in terms of British pop, Spiritualized was making albums that were a thousand times more interesting.

But I want to give the other albums a chance. So besides Parklife, which is the best, and least MOR brit-pop??? They turned into a profoundly experimental band..... when did that seed start sprouting?
Old 11.04.2011, 11:04 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
again, I'm telling you to listen to MODERN LIFE IS RUBBISH !!
Old 11.04.2011, 12:48 PM   #7
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I am right now.... didn't like the first track, but I'm digging the second.

Thanks!

Man, this band deserves so much more credit than they get in the US (which is less than none). Every once in a while you hear "Song 2" on a "CLASSIC ALTERNATIVE" station in between Soundgarden and Blind Melon, and they've taken to playing it at sports events, but jesus.... that's about the most non-Blur song I've yet heard from the band.

Living in the UK, as well as briefly in Canada, has totally ruined my image of the US. Not that Britain's perfect... when I was there you couldn't stroll through Picadilly without seeing a poster for Coldplay's "A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD", but Blur is just so different. I can't believe that the only way most people in the US know them is through their NME-induced "war" with Oasis. And that's only the people who remember Oasis, of which there are few.

Jesus I've spent a total of at least 45 minutes of my workday reading and talking about Blur. I should probably start, like, working. Luckily I'm at the desk for the rest of the day, so I can dig MLIR.
Old 11.04.2011, 12:55 PM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

you didn't like the first song? Weird. I love that one. Anyway, it's one of my favorite Blur albums.
Old 11.04.2011, 01:57 PM   #9
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Because the UK press is insane, Blur has been shoved down the Brits' throats for years. The Oasis vs. Blur thing hit a fever pitch backintheday, for example. It's impossible to have an objective opinion with all that going on.

I think it's easier for people (like in the US) who haven't been bombarded with this shit to simply take in the music.

Although I don't love a lot of their stuff, they are always respectable. There's a fine intelligence to their work that not many super popular bands have. I mean, the road from their limp debut to the sometimes-astonishing THINK TANK in such a short period of time is pretty remarkable.

I totally get why anyone in the UK might hate them, but I'm not sure it's Blur's fault.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2011, 09:01 PM   #10
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Well, as far as the UK goes, you've gotta remember the Stone Roses. The band that could have been the best band in the world, but....... never did.

Blur filled the gap as well as they could, but Jesus. Imagine if, like, REM (bad example because I hate them at least 50% of the time) released Murmer and then did nothing.
Old 11.05.2011, 03:40 AM   #11
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
So you really like "Think Tank"? I think that album splits fans because Graham Coxon left around the time they were working on that album and Coxon and Damon Albarn were sort of like a Mcartney/Lennon duo of a songwriting team. I think people also think "Think Tank" sounded a little less like Blur and more like Albarn's other group Gorillaz or at least that music seemed to seep into that album. Yet, regardless I think "Think Tank" is a really good album. I really like "Modern Life is Rubbish" and "13" as well.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 05:57 AM   #12
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
meh

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 08:04 AM   #13
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Never been a fan of Blur.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 11:07 AM   #14
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
So you really like "Think Tank"? I think that album splits fans because Graham Coxon left around the time they were working on that album and Coxon and Damon Albarn were sort of like a Mcartney/Lennon duo of a songwriting team. I think people also think "Think Tank" sounded a little less like Blur and more like Albarn's other group Gorillaz or at least that music seemed to seep into that album. Yet, regardless I think "Think Tank" is a really good album. I really like "Modern Life is Rubbish" and "13" as well.

I like Think Tank, but my heart belongs to 13. That's the best, by far. Some of it is a bit of a Spiritualized rip, but that's ok. Spiritualized is awesome.

But yeah- so far I like: 13, Think Tank, Blur, MLIR.
Old 11.05.2011, 11:19 AM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Parklife has many an excellent song on it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIY1X_UcBWo
This being one of them.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Another great Blur pop song. Insane, innit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsgjh...eature=related
Old 11.05.2011, 11:52 AM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjr2I...eature=related
and what do youse think of this? it's pop in that it's pop. you know, like, pop.
Old 11.05.2011, 11:58 AM   #18
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Blur had a knack for the pretty melody, didn't they? I'm telling you brah, shit's HOTT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOo9_EPkJ-o
Old 11.05.2011, 12:05 PM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I play this song when I am waiting for 40 minutes to get on a bus, and then 10 of the same bus I'm waiting for turn up all at once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPkJw...eature=related

Gee whizz, look at his eyes!
Old 11.05.2011, 01:27 PM   #20
noisereductions
invito al cielo

my favorite Blur b-side is "All We Want."

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth