Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Jandek w/ Thurston Moore Live
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2010, 09:09 PM   #41
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
this actually is a proof they're not the same person :P

That's what I was thinking.

It's still really weird to see Jandek's name up in lights like that.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2010, 02:25 AM   #42
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Well... Jandek was like an out of tune metronome and Thurston brought the T-bone. Thurston decsontructing a rock song all night, while Jandek played the ultimate stripped down and minimalist other rock song at the same time. Wish Jandek had sung or maybe John Cale had shown up on viola.

Thurston delivered the goods better than in many a collaboration I've listened to, while Jandek was nowhere near as riveting as four years ago in the same room as a true leader.

Later that night I saw Baby Dee. Portland is definitely a town for weirdos.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2010, 06:03 AM   #43
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
John Cale had shown up on viola.

...and jim o'rourke to join the fest.
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2010, 04:20 PM   #44
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Well... Jandek was like an out of tune metronome and Thurston brought the T-bone. Thurston decsontructing a rock song all night, while Jandek played the ultimate stripped down and minimalist other rock song at the same time. Wish Jandek had sung or maybe John Cale had shown up on viola.

Thurston delivered the goods better than in many a collaboration I've listened to, while Jandek was nowhere near as riveting as four years ago in the same room as a true leader.

Later that night I saw Baby Dee. Portland is definitely a town for weirdos.

played 3 collabs tunes. around 1 hr tot, verrrrry noisy set

glad they played loud, to keep the audience noise down to minimal.

1st was the best, IMO, just blistering TM and the J was playing good detuned/slack string/reverb rhythm gtr.

2nd was TM starting out nice, J had NO IDEA what to do, so just played single chords and notes. Finally he got back to what he did right on the 1st one.....

3rd was pretty good, I think Thurston figured out what J was wanting and or capable of doing and set him up for good space for J to do his (same sort of)thing inside of.

Saw J outside and also the next day downtown. PDX is a great town, enjoyed some wonderful cuban and vietnamese foods.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2010, 05:52 PM   #45
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
thanks iduclo and dead-air for the review , glad was a nice performance...jandek was here in lisbon in january and miss him...i will regret that for the rest of my life ( well if he come here again maybe not )
Old 05.02.2010, 10:49 AM   #46
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
thanks iduclo and dead-air for the review , glad was a nice performance...jandek was here in lisbon in january and miss him...i will regret that for the rest of my life ( well if he come here again maybe not )

actually, J was the lesser part of the equation, he really seemed lost and was unable to follow T, particularly in portions of the 2nd improv. He needs to stick to his pick up band / songs stuff and leave the weird stuff for thems that can do that sort of thing. I was really impressed with Thurston's ability to adapt to the J man's "style"
Old 05.02.2010, 11:13 AM   #47
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
actually, J was the lesser part of the equation, he really seemed lost and was unable to follow T, particularly in portions of the 2nd improv. He needs to stick to his pick up band / songs stuff and leave the weird stuff for thems that can do that sort of thing. I was really impressed with Thurston's ability to adapt to the J man's "style"

maybe jandek is to much hiding from what happens in the noise world
( he need to plays more with the noisy kid, Mr T, for updates!! )
Old 05.02.2010, 10:42 PM   #48
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
nice..
someone (on Jandek's fansite mailing list) said the show was being filmed, that's good news.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2010, 11:03 AM   #49
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
any pictures maybe?:

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2010, 01:18 PM   #50
ilduclo
invito al cielo

not me, they said no
Old 05.03.2010, 04:39 PM   #51
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
nice..
someone (on Jandek's fansite mailing list) said the show was being filmed, that's good news.

that's true here part of the text from Paul Condon jandek fansite :

"The guy who introduced the show(I think he
was the owner of Jackpot records) stated that they were filming this show,
so more than likely it will end up on dvd. Some moron decided to leave
during the middle of the show through a side exit and let all this sunlight
in the room and might have screwed up some of the filming though."
Old 05.03.2010, 06:32 PM   #52
ilduclo
invito al cielo

it was pretty poorly lit, just a couple of spots and most of the time I saw little of the 2, and I was 5th row ctr. I only saw one cam in the back, too, so, unless there were more set up later, it will likely be a pretty shitty film. Hopefully they will have good sound, though, I saw at least 2 Nonamo brand mics onstage, a name that we all know stands for fantastic audio quality....
Old 05.04.2010, 08:58 AM   #53
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
are there any shots?

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2010, 05:09 PM   #54
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
i saw this today, thought it was pretty funny.

http://pitchfork.com/news/36260-echo...r-mandy-moore/
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2010, 04:07 AM   #55
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i saw this today, thought it was pretty funny.

http://pitchfork.com/news/36260-echo...r-mandy-moore/

nooo fuckin way
i wonder how/where she has heard about jandek..

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2010, 03:18 PM   #56
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
nooo fuckin way
i wonder how/where she has heard about jandek..
Through her douchebag husband, evidently...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2010, 10:01 AM   #57
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo

I agree it was a very good Thurston show and a very below par Jandek performance. That said, Jandek has some great records where he does stuff besides songs with words, and he could have done something along those lines. However, the improvisational nature of the two of them together was definitely off balance. I didn't think Thurston was leading, he was playing around Jandek the whole time, but Jandek's leading was just too limited and haphazard. Such a shame compared to the jaw dropping set he layed down the last time in Portland. Still the best artists keep us guessing and take risks sometimes that don't pay off.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth