Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.22.2017, 11:16 AM   #301
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, I had some issues with the write-up at the end.

"What happened when the Joker's chaos clashes with the logic and reason of the Riddler?"

Uhh... I'll tell you what happens... Riddler fucking dies. Or would, in reality. Riddler is a slave to logic and reason, so they're just as likely to be liabilities as strengths. Show him something he doesn't understand, and you've beaten him. In that sense, his own gimmick is his kryptonite. Yeah, he tells riddles, has no patience for those who can't solve them, but tell HIM a riddle he can't solve -- or, hell, just make one up that has no answer! -- and he'll crumble.

Riddler is bound and gagged by his schtick. Joker's schtick is chaos, so he can theoretically roll with just about anything. What happens when weak logic clashes with an impenetrable wall of chaos? "Logic" gets shot in the fucking head.

Still, I will be reading this arc, for sure.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2017, 11:18 AM   #302
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Fucker! Start with Saga #1! It's a continuous arc! The volumes are cheap as fuck, so just buy them or rent them from the library. You can't just wade into the middle of freaking Saga!

lol. I knew it would bug you.

Here are you options:

A) I can start with the issue that cost me 25 cents to see if I like it.

or

B) I can tell you that someday when I find my piles of backlogged comics is magically gone, and I have money to burn, and not a single other comic in my mind as what I should buy next, then I'll go all the way back to Saga #1 to see if I like it.
Old 06.22.2017, 11:19 AM   #303
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
It seems like this Batman arc is coming now to delay really fleshing out what's going on w/ Selena now anyway. I mean, this is 8 issues that put off continuing THAT story.

I don't mind that this story is being told to her though. It's actually kind of a neat segue, no?
Old 06.22.2017, 11:22 AM   #304
noisereductions
invito al cielo

oh ! And sev... go to marvel.com/redeem and put in the code ICEMAN

You will receive all the #1's for the Resurrxion event for free.
Old 06.22.2017, 11:51 AM   #305
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
oh ! And sev... go to marvel.com/redeem and put in the code ICEMAN

You will receive all the #1's for the Resurrxion event for free.

Put in the code where?

I don't think I've ever been to Marvel.com. Also, I don't know what Resurrxion is, but I'm guessing it has something to do with.... X-Men?

I haven't been keeping up with any of that stuff. I know Cyclops went rogue (no pun intended, because I have no idea if Rogue even exists anymore), and that he became a terrorist and a villain and a murderer, in addition to being a shitty boyfriend to Emma Frost and, like, five different versions of Jean Grey. And I know that the Inhumans, specifically Black Bolt and Medusa, I guess, want to kill him or whatever... but that's it. No clue what the details are.

I do know, however, that this outfit is so badass that if he'd always dressed like this he probably would have been my favorite X-Man, even back when he was literally nobody's favorite X-Man.

^^ that is just too fucking badass.
Old 06.22.2017, 11:59 AM   #306
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
lol. I knew it would bug you.

Here are you options:

A) I can start with the issue that cost me 25 cents to see if I like it.

or

B) I can tell you that someday when I find my piles of backlogged comics is magically gone, and I have money to burn, and not a single other comic in my mind as what I should buy next, then I'll go all the way back to Saga #1 to see if I like it.

You, sir, are a fool. And you will regret this. I promise you, you will regret not being a part of Saga as it plays out. It's going to go down in history. It's going to change the game:

It's a massive interconnected space opera love story and every event directly affects everything that follows. I do not recommend just picking up an issue. I read 43, and it's cool to me, but if I didn't know the characters, I'd wonder what the fuck all the fuss was about.

Jesus Christ man. If we knew each other in "real life" I'd buy you all 7 volumes of Saga on Amazon. Probably wouldn't cost more than $50 total, even if I was buying brand new. I'd totally do that for you. But we don't really know each other, so you're gonna have to learn by yourself I guess. I just hope you make the right decision.

Funnily though, I accidentally ordered a hardbound copy of book 2 of the collected volumes, thinking it was stuff I hadn't read. So I have a $50, 500-page book sitting here that I don't even want and I'm going to have to return to Amazon. If it was Book 1, and not Book 2, I'd put it in the mail to your ass right now, and I'd eat the $50. But you NEED to start at the beginning.

(Note: Saga comes in single issues once a month for about 6 months at a time between breaks. There are paperback volumes that contain like 7 issues each, and there are currently 7 of those out. There are two hardcover "books," each containing 3-4 volumes. Important to understand the difference... Amazon incorrectly listed the contents of Book 2, which is why I ended up paying $50 for something I'd already read.)
Old 06.22.2017, 12:00 PM   #307
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Marvel.com/REDEEM
Old 06.22.2017, 12:26 PM   #308
noisereductions
invito al cielo

dude, it's not the $50 it would cost me to buy 7 volumes. It's the time it would take me to read them.

You must know me well enough by now to see that I don't make plans on how I consume media. I let the wind blow me where ever it wants me to go. I don't listen to the big new release by the big artist that I love... if my ears aren't in the mood for that genre.

I know myself and my habits. I have limited time to read comics each week. And enjoy buying issues each week. Even if the 7 volumes of Saga were free, the chance of me just stopping those reading habits which make me happy and going and reading 7 volumes of something that - sure everyone says is great, but I don't even know if I'm in the mood to read right now - is beyond unlikely.

SO this is what I do. I make a list each week of the new comics I want. If it doesn't seem like enough for the week, then I'll grab a few other things of lesser interest. This week Saga 43 happened to be a quarter and you were JUST hyping the series. So I grabbed it.

Again, knowing me and my tastes and my habits - I grabbed it out of respect for your suggestion. The chance of me even attempting to read Saga* just went up because of this issue.

*The chance was a lot lower before. I know everyone talks about how great it is. And I'm sure it is. But you must have also noticed that my taste in comics is decidedly heavy on superheroes right? It may well be this game-changing epic and all, but again going back to just following whatever my brain tells me I'm in the mood for and not really worrying about how epic or important something is...

And I'm not even saying that I think Saga won't appeal to me. Just that part of the fun of this hobby for me is not quite knowing what I'll be in the mood for week to week. Who knows. I might pick up a new book I wasn't interested in before. I might stop reading one that I thought I used to like.
Old 06.23.2017, 12:37 PM   #309
Severian
invito al cielo

I totally get you. I went though the same thing recently. I found Saga at the library and I didn't think I'd even read it but I checked it out because they didn't have the Unworthy Thor I was looking for.

Then I read the first volume in like 20 minutes.
Within about 2 weeks I'd read all seven volumes. The only thing that made t take that long was waiting for the things to be available at the library. I would have likely read it all in two days if I'd had it all I front of me.

I get what you're saying. Trust me. I'm a superhero guy too. BIG time. I almost never read any non-superhero comics. But Saga just blew me away. It's not that it's deeply profound or anything. It's just brazen as fuck, super adult, hilarious, and politically and socially relevant... BRUTALLY so. It reads like a novel. And the art is just glorious.

So, I've said my piece. I just think you'd have a similar reaction if you sat down with it. That's all.
Old 06.23.2017, 01:23 PM   #310
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'm not writing it off. And you're not the first to insist I read it. So it's always in my "yep, once I need something different to read" list.

Hopefully I'll have some time to catch up on the rest of the stuff I bought this week over the weekend. I've got the "2.0" release of X-Men: Mutant Genesis that I've been meaning to plow through soon.
Old 06.23.2017, 07:53 PM   #311
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm not writing it off. And you're not the first to insist I read it. So it's always in my "yep, once I need something different to read" list.

Hopefully I'll have some time to catch up on the rest of the stuff I bought this week over the weekend. I've got the "2.0" release of X-Men: Mutant Genesis that I've been meaning to plow through soon.

Ok, ok, ok. But I want to go on record as saying that I think you're missing out, and you will eventually regret your decision to not put it at the top of your list. The rest of your pile isn't going anywhere. But Saga may well be winding down.

Just sayin.
Old 06.24.2017, 01:50 AM   #312
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok, ok, ok. But I want to go on record as saying that I think you're missing out, and you will eventually regret your decision to not put it at the top of your list. The rest of your pile isn't going anywhere. But Saga may well be winding down.

Just sayin.

But it'll still be there just like the others.

I'm the same as noise. I have god knows how many comic books/books/films sat waiting to be read/watched but it has to be at the right time for me to read it. Hell, there have been times where my mind has wandered into wanting tor read something else halfway through a book. And not cos I wasn't enjoying the book but cos I'm no longer in the mood.

Chill. He's got the rec and he'll read it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2017, 12:11 PM   #313
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
But it'll still be there just like the others.

I'm the same as noise. I have god knows how many comic books/books/films sat waiting to be read/watched but it has to be at the right time for me to read it. Hell, there have been times where my mind has wandered into wanting tor read something else halfway through a book. And not cos I wasn't enjoying the book but cos I'm no longer in the mood.

Chill. He's got the rec and he'll read it.

Yeah, I feel you.

It took me damn near 3 months to read a volume of Walt Simonson's The Mighty Thor... not because I didn't like it, because I totally do, but because I could only make it through a few pages before I wanted to read something completely different.

I shouldn't be so pushy I guess. I just had a really good experience with Saga, and I want other people to have the same experience. But yeah, NR, you do you buddy. Glad you bought #43.
Old 06.24.2017, 12:54 PM   #314
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Love the passion in this thread right now guys.
Old 06.24.2017, 06:32 PM   #315
Severian
invito al cielo

Normally I think I'm a pretty well adjusted guy when it comes to my relationships with people, both on-line and in the "real world," but I think pushiness might be one of my biggest character flaws.

Like, NR -- remember when TLOP came out, and you wouldn't listen to it because it wasn't finalized and stuff? That drove me fucking crazy even though I totally get the reasoning at work there. But I just really wanted you to hear the thing, and I knew it was two clicks away, and you just wouldn't do it and goddammit I could have reached through the internet and strangled you like Homer Simpson strangles his son for basically no reason whatsoever (pretty fucked up, that... always kinda turned me off... just blatantly making light of child abuse, but oh well).

Anyway, I'm sure I acted like a total asshole, or at least a really pushy and insensitive semi-asshole. I am sorry about both that and this, and I will work on being more conscious of my behavior...

... if you read Saga right now.

Just kidding.
Old 06.24.2017, 09:51 PM   #316
noisereductions
invito al cielo

It's cool sev. It doesn't bother me really. But I just know my habits so stay stubborn haha.

Btw took me years to watch Dark Knight. When I was finally ready I loved it hard. I'm glad I didn't rush and watch it when I wasn't in the mood y'know?
Old 06.24.2017, 10:52 PM   #317
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
It's cool sev. It doesn't bother me really. But I just know my habits so stay stubborn haha.

Btw took me years to watch Dark Knight. When I was finally ready I loved it hard. I'm glad I didn't rush and watch it when I wasn't in the mood y'know?

You waited years to watch the fucking Dark Knight?

I'm so glad we weren't friends back then, because that might have ruined our friendship.

I kinda wish you'd kept that to yourself.
Old 06.24.2017, 11:06 PM   #318
noisereductions
invito al cielo

A wise dude once said: Everything I'm not made me everything I am.
Old 06.25.2017, 11:59 AM   #319
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
A wise dude once said: Everything I'm not made me everything I am.

Fucking

!!!
Old 06.25.2017, 12:02 PM   #320
Severian
invito al cielo

You know how to win me over, Noise Redux. I'll bloody well give you that, my friend.
131415 16 171819 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth