Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What's the best use of theramin in music.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.10.2008, 05:28 PM   #21
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Soundtrack to Bartleby.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 08:07 PM   #22
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
2nded

My Velouria, my Velouria
Even I'll adore you
My Velouria
Old 12.10.2008, 09:11 PM   #23
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Any Beefheart song that contains it.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 10:06 PM   #24
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
WHITE MICE. (maybe not the very best, but I enjoy it)
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 10:52 PM   #25
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangajunky
Is there such a thing as a theremin virtuoso?

That would be Clara Rockmore. I actually prefer the weirder uses most of the time, being a weirdo, but it's hard to argue with the amount of musical precision she brought to the instrument. You can actually relax listening to her versions of classical pieces.

The failure of the theremin as an instrument is that despite the appearance of simplicity brought on by "creating music out of thin air" it's actually extremely difficult to play the thing well and get anything approaching tunefulness. Clara could do it flawlessly, but most people are better off getting it to make weird electronic noises. And admitedly, if you are going to do that, you really might as well get a moog.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2008, 11:02 AM   #26
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Portishead used one quite well on 'Dummy'

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2008, 11:28 AM   #27
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
That would be Clara Rockmore. I actually prefer the weirder uses most of the time, being a weirdo, but it's hard to argue with the amount of musical precision she brought to the instrument. You can actually relax listening to her versions of classical pieces.

The failure of the theremin as an instrument is that despite the appearance of simplicity brought on by "creating music out of thin air" it's actually extremely difficult to play the thing well and get anything approaching tunefulness. Clara could do it flawlessly, but most people are better off getting it to make weird electronic noises. And admitedly, if you are going to do that, you really might as well get a moog.

I'll be sure to check her out.

And yes, I love the theremin on Dummy - I have played that album to death.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth