Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Emeralds
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.27.2009, 05:46 PM   #21
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I was very disappointed because I had to leave before they came on in Stockwell, when they were touring the UK with Painjerk... I love everything that I've heard by them.
I totally agree with DNT rec's the collab with Dilloway is fantastic. Also the split with Tusco Terror on E Peace is sweet.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2009, 09:43 PM   #22
lowlife
little trouble girl

lowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asseslowlife kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntrecords
your split tape with bee mask rules, just got that in my distro
thanks man
lowlife is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2009, 07:01 PM   #23
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie
I saw them in Bristol a couple of weeks back, they were awesome.

I was at that show. They were indeed great. Wasn't that fussed about Pain Jerk but you can't win 'em all.

Anyway, all the Emeralds stuff I've heard so far has been at least good and most of it pretty great. The s/t on Hanson is really good and so is the recent tour tape they did. I can't remember if that one is s/t titles as well....

Also, the side project stuff is worth investigating, espcially Mark McGuire's stuff. Guitar Meditations is really nice.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2009, 11:00 PM   #24
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
is it cool if I post some links for out of print releases by emeralds & solo? I don't know if you guys have any rules against that sort of thing.. I could share a bunch of there stuff that is sold out and impossible to find outside of ebay
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2009, 07:45 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Please do, man!!!!

I actually just bought What Happened, everything else I have is out of print stuff I d/l'ed. I really love this band.

There's no rules aside from "if you do cool stuff you get mass rep" haha.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 04:24 AM   #26
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I picked up Mark McGuire's "Tidings II" tape a couple of weeks ago, and it's totally beautiful. Definitely wanna get more stuff.

EDIT - Just ordered a copy of his Guitar Meditations tape from a guy on Discogs too, which was what I actually meant to buy when I bought Tiding II.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 07:07 AM   #27
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
i got the feeling that i have listened the emeralds and dilloway you mentioned before and that it was indeed amazing, so i looked around and i just found a blog with many releases by them. is it ok to post it?
if youwere to mp3 them, this will save you the trouble..
thank you.
http://weareupforsale.blogspot.com/search?q=emeralds

if the majority isnt out of print or its originally releases in digital form, tell me to delete this..

thank you very much, angel.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 07:56 AM   #28
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Great blog link, I had most of those, thankfully -- I couldn't put up with the rapidshare bullshit if I didn't have 'em. There's an ongoing thread on Fangsandarrows.com (a GREAT message board... way better than most.. heh.. and probably what dntrecords was referring to earlier) where everyone's uploading all the rarer, older, OOP Emeralds and other related projects. I've uploaded a couple myself. Check it out.

Old 03.12.2009, 11:33 AM   #29
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
I bought Mark McGuire's Dream Team CDR a couple of weeks back and it's fantastic, well worth checking out.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 02:37 PM   #30
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Great blog link, I had most of those, thankfully -- I couldn't put up with the rapidshare bullshit if I didn't have 'em. There's an ongoing thread on Fangsandarrows.com (a GREAT message board... way better than most.. heh.. and probably what dntrecords was referring to earlier) where everyone's uploading all the rarer, older, OOP Emeralds and other related projects. I've uploaded a couple myself. Check it out.
that fangsandarrows board seems pretty cool. i've signed up but not posted anything yet...
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 08:55 PM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
that fangsandarrows board seems pretty cool. i've signed up but not posted anything yet...

Yeah, it rules. All the people actually discuss good music all the time instead of just 3 or 4 people occasionally mentioning something cool. Also, it's extremely active, and people are awesome about sharing OOP shit all the time.

Old 03.13.2009, 12:51 AM   #32
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.fakejazz.com/fake/archive...lds_-_what.php

Emeralds - What Happened (No Fun Productions)

Emeralds' name has been on the tongues of bloggers and noise addicts in the know for quite a while now, but, of late, they seem to have encroached on the consciousnesses of a far wider audience. Solar Bridge made plenty of year-end lists in 2008, and rightly so; it was perhaps the first major statement from the group, whose work until then was largely in the form of limited run cassettes or cd-r's. The title of the trio's follow up, What Happened, might be viewed as their reaction to their recent success, as just over a year ago they were still awaiting the release of their "proper" debut, and now find themselves opening for Throbbing Gristle. It's a rapid ascent, to be sure, but if their latest disc is any indication, not an wholly undeserved one, no matter their ages or the hype that buoyed Emeralds' growth.
The presence of synthesizers in Emeralds' music has always been a conspicuous one, but "Alive in the Sea of Information" owes far more to 70s synth fetishists like Tangerine Dream than many of the groups with whom Emeralds typically cavort. Other acts in the noise/experimental underground have adopted analog synths as instruments of choice, of course, but few use them in such a way. Emeralds music isn't exactly retro, but its sound is sometimes of a spectral, other-worldy timbre that, while often too roughly hewn to be called new age, certainly makes heavy use of the spacey psychedelia that marked the early forays of the genre. What Happened packs, perhaps, a bit less of a punch that its predecessor in terms of the overall heft of the sound, but its two opening tracks, the aforementioned "Alice in the Sea of Information" and "Damaged Kids" make for some enjoyable and interesting synth-based mind melting. The rest of the disc's five tracks engage in a simpler means of expression, more heavily reliant on drones and repetition, with fewer flourishes bubbling unexpectedly into the mix. The album takes on a more somber tone, save for a formidably menacing latter half of "Living Room," with the trio moving from the colorful palette of the openers to the grays and blues of the rest of the disc. Emeralds invoke an effective pathos, but by the time the slow swirl of "Disappearing Ink" has come to its close, the earlier spirit of the album is only a memory. The tonal dichotomy isn't severe, but a return to the bright environs of the opening pair of tracks might have lightened the mood toward the disc's conclusion, spreading out the album's best material rather than packing it at the beginning of its duration.
What Happened isn't a jaw-dropper from start to finish, but it is a well-rounded musical statement, a cohesive series of improvisations that, whether moving in a more linear fashion or spiraling into unpredictable musical environs, the trio tackle with an impressive focus. A number of releases loom in Emeralds' near-future, and if this disc, especially its openers, are a sign of things to come, it's going to be a good year for these lads from Cleveland.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 03:25 AM   #33
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
That collab with Dilloway is absolutely kickass.
Highly recommended!!!

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 09:55 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

You won't be sorry. So much amazing music to download and discuss. Almost every topic has links to like a thousand albums, haha. That's not true, but ... well it kinda is. Everyone there is really cool and on top of shit. Really friendly!

Old 04.19.2009, 10:57 PM   #35
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
so im finally "getting" this band. What Happened started to click and i can tell that we will have a beautiful friendship, im now listening to the aaron dilloway split and being blown away. im DLing solar bridge.

but most importantly, mark mcguire is blowing me away more than any other artist this year.
his stuff is mesmerizing.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2009, 01:22 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, amazing what a guy can do with a delay pedal.

That sounded sarcastic but I'm being serious. Great shit.

Old 04.20.2009, 04:24 PM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
"solar bridge" got old.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2009, 06:44 PM   #38
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
mark macguire's guitar meditations tape is completely unreal. i love it
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2009, 06:48 PM   #39
sarramkrop

They're cool sometimes, never amazing, apart from some of the MacGuire solo stuff I've heard. They were incredibly dull when I've seen them live.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2010, 04:55 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I just got the new one, DOES IT LOOK LIKE I'M HERE, and it's prettty different and good.

Imaginary Softwoods is still my favorite band related to these guys.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth