Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Girl In A Band: A Memoir
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.18.2015, 04:44 PM   #381
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
Wow, you've racked up a hell of a lot of posts on the Sonic Youth gossip board for a habitual skeptic! :-)

even with the decline of message boards in recent years i really like the few people here-- one of my favorite corners of the web. demonrail put it best i think when he said something like (im paraphrasing/inventing) you can discuss the champions league in one thread and kenneth anger in the next one. sonic youth has quality fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
If yr interested in good writing don't bother with the Goodbye 20th C book, it's full of facts but the style is almost unbearable at times

i won't be physically able to read it then! thanks for the heads up.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2015, 04:49 PM   #382
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
wow. how many replies since the last time I have seen this thread!

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2015, 04:53 PM   #383
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

one of them is just kim reading the lyrics of kotton krown.

what? audio of Kim reading Kotton Krown lyrics?? no background sound or music? wow that would be so cool for sampling over something!!

Old 03.18.2015, 04:55 PM   #384
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
what? audio of Kim reading Kotton Krown lyrics?? no background sound or music? wow that would be so cool for sampling!!

she reads various other lyrics as she discusses the albums & tracks that stand out for her

there's some great moments in her reading performance i thought-- as restrained as she is, you can hear the emotion throughout most passages-- much different from a professional reading.

actually i really liked a lot the way after the end of the book she says "thanks for listening".
Old 03.18.2015, 04:56 PM   #385
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
she reads various other lyrics as she discusses the albums & tracks that stand out for her

there's some great moments in her reading performance i thought

is audio book expensive?

Old 03.18.2015, 05:00 PM   #386
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
is audio book expensive?

i have an audible subscription which is $15 a month and so i got it for 1 "credit"-- retails otherwise for like $20+ i think. just look it up on amazon (audible is an amazon company, some books you can sync audio w/ kindle).
Old 03.18.2015, 05:10 PM   #387
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
i have an audible subscription which is $15 a month and so i got it for 1 "credit"-- retails otherwise for like $20+ i think. just look it up on amazon (audible is an amazon company, some books you can sync audio w/ kindle).

yeah, just checked. around $20+.

Old 03.18.2015, 08:19 PM   #388
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, just checked. around $20+.

audible has a free audiobook with a 30-day trial

after you cancel you get to keep all the books/credits you cashed in so it's not like netflix/spotify where you lose all access. i.e. it's a buy not a rental.
Old 03.18.2015, 09:04 PM   #389
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Sweet Jesus, I came here after a long absence to see wtf y'all think of Kim's new book.....but I'm fucked if I'll dredge through this thread.

Cheers then.

Edit: I found Rob's blog. Thank fuck.
Old 03.19.2015, 11:08 AM   #390
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
All's well that ends well
Old 03.19.2015, 01:21 PM   #391
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
All's well that ends well

ha! for a little while i didn't know if you were talking about the book or skuj's search.

maybe i still don't?

i mean, re: all's well that ends well:

one of the things that has called my attention is the public's obsession with the woman scorned with a life destroyed, and all that pain & sorrow (which makes for compelling drama), but at the same time the absolute glossing over kim's post-divorce transformations.

i.e.-- a return to art, a continuation of performance away from "rock", a return to california's light and landscape which she loves, a stronger more outspoken persona after many years of (dare i say it?) artistic subordination, art shows and gallery representation, a return to dating (making out in a car lol), and a kind of cultural superstar status at the moment where it's not only music people who are interested in her but a much wider audience (artistic, literary, functionally literate people, etc.)

to me it reads like a triumph.

anyway that's today's ramble ha ha
Old 03.19.2015, 02:18 PM   #392
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

one of the things that has called my attention is the public's obsession with the woman scorned with a life destroyed, and all that pain & sorrow (which makes for compelling drama), but at the same time the absolute glossing over kim's post-divorce

I don't think anyone didn't notice her Phoenix moment indeed can we ever really say she missed a beat? Im not sure her life was destroyed so much as significantly altered. However what was destroyed was most of OUR favorite bands. But since you rarely post about sonic youth or music in general perhaps it reflects that you were more interested in the personal narrative stuff whereas many of us were lamenting the loss of sonic youth.

Quote:
to me it reads like a triumph.
AGREED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
.but I'm fucked if I'll dredge through this thread.
The gist of it is we wish it spent more time talking about the music (big surprise fans of a band are more interested in a musician's musical analysis than personal life) and that thurston comes across as an ass.

Quote:

Cheers then

Indeed

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2015, 03:12 PM   #393
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
But since you rarely post about sonic youth or music in general perhaps it reflects that you were more interested in the personal narrative stuff whereas many of us were lamenting the loss of sonic youth.

i've already explained (i was the one who explained) why i don't post much on music threads-- it's not from a lack of interest but from a lack of language-- i cannot describe very well the things i hear. (also, i don't care much for rankings, top-anythings, desert islands, etc).

but eh!-- i lamented the loss of sonic youth when rather ripped came out

and you haven't read the book...

so what are we talking about?

(or did you read it in spite of your early protestations?)
Old 03.19.2015, 03:52 PM   #394
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Dude both rather ripped and the eternal are good records and were fun shows and tour. You totally missed out

And no i didn't read the book, i love kim but as i mentioned id rather to continue to love kim because of my experience with her art rather than delving too deeply into her autobiography. Again i want sonic youth to be that band that i DON'T know everything about their personal lives

Old 03.19.2015, 03:54 PM   #395
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

rather ripped grated my ears like a phil collins record
Old 03.19.2015, 04:08 PM   #396
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Sorry to hear that, surprisingly that record attracted several of my otherwise non-SY fan friends to get into them.. indeed when SY played jimmy kimmel we went three carloads deep and had a fucking BLAST

Old 03.19.2015, 04:08 PM   #397
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Sorry to hear that, surprisingly that record attracted several of my otherwise non-SY fan friends to get into them.. indeed when SY played jimmy kimmel we went three carloads deep and had a fucking BLAST

Old 03.19.2015, 04:20 PM   #398
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

good for them x 2
Old 03.19.2015, 06:24 PM   #399
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
audible has a free audiobook with a 30-day trial

hold on. what does it mean? can you audio book for free within 30 day trial like? (i don't think so...sorry I just got home and I am after 5 pints right now, I don't even know why I logged in..ehrm.)

Old 03.19.2015, 08:19 PM   #400
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
hold on. what does it mean? can you audio book for free within 30 day trial like? (i don't think so...sorry I just got home and I am after 5 pints right now, I don't even know why I logged in..ehrm.)

they think they're so good that you won't resist them so they give you a freebie..

so you subscribe the first month but they don't charge you and they give you a free credit to use where you want, as i recall.

they charge you the month after and you get another credit-- you can cancel before that happens and keep your purchase. but if you cancel before you use your credit you lose that credit. so cash out before bailing.

i used to get it once a month then i switched to the (unadvertised) "silver" member where it's just once every other month (6 audio books a year). i've also put it on hold temporarily.

for audiobook addicts, the membership also gives you a discount in books you get beyond your monthly/bimonthly quota.
171819 20 2122 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth