Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore - By The Fire [September, 2020]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.27.2020, 11:37 AM   #41
wim
little trouble girl

wim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asseswim kicks all y'all's asses
i hear bits of inhuman in breath

there is another song too that reminds me a lot of something of murray street or so... ill revisit the older SY stuff again to see if i can find some similarities. any excuse is fun to dig in their catalogue
wim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2020, 01:25 PM   #42
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wim
i hear bits of inhuman in breath

there is another song too that reminds me a lot of something of murray street or so... ill revisit the older SY stuff again to see if i can find some similarities. any excuse is fun to dig in their catalogue

yeah, yeah, I know what you mean. I heard bit of unmade bed riff like in of tracks on the record.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2020, 09:53 AM   #43
AlSonic
little trouble girl

AlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's assesAlSonic kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/liv...n-moore-group/
Live Stream 8th October
AlSonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2020, 07:51 PM   #44
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
AllMusic's review (4˝ stars, for those of you who care about such shenanigans ):

Quote:
One of the things that made Sonic Youth such a powerful entity was the supernatural chemistry of the bandmembers. At various peaks of their collective powers, each player brought a distinctive voice that rose to an even more elevated form when combined with the others. Extracted from that chemistry, Thurston Moore's solo material gives a better view of his conflicting tendencies, with seventh proper solo album By the Fire embracing both noisy, chaotic tangents and the blurry impressionistic poetry that has long been the core of his songs. The record begins with the kind of layered, intricate guitar figures and steady rock rhythms that have been Moore's calling card since the early '90s. Album opener "Hashish" is a moody, driving tune with a vocal melody that revisits "Sunday" from Sonic Youth's 1998 album A Thousand Leaves. The ham-fisted grunge rock of "Cantaloupe" and fuzzy, churning push of "Breath" are also well-covered ground, sounding like they could fit in nicely in different parts of Moore's back catalog. Instead of presenting "Breath" as a compact rock song, however, he stretches it out into a sprawling, multi-part epic. The track turns dynamically as it moves from a lengthy gentle intro through to passionate verses, explosive instrumental sections, and breakdowns into formless squalls of feedback. This kind of dense song construction becomes the factor that sets By the Fire apart from the rest of Moore's solo efforts. "Siren" follows the same approach, building over the course of a 12-minute run time from long, lazy stretches of chiming guitars to rolling waves of rhythmless sound. The vocals begin at just about nine minutes into the song after the completion of a full cycle of tension and release. Songs like "Locomotives" and "Venus" are similarly built, each burning on for well over ten minutes as they rise and fall through various movements. These intense full-band extrapolations are broken up by more subdued moments like "Dreamers Work," which find Moore alone with a guitar, rambling through cloudy autumnal reflections. The album is one of the more intentional chapters of Moore's solo work, melding his long-studied Branca-esque walls of guitar and mystical lyrical viewpoints with a new, patient approach to composition. By the Fire isn't a drastic shift, but as Moore goes deeper into the sounds he's been exploring for decades, he uncovers new magic.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2020, 01:51 PM   #45
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Vulture interview with Thurston

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2020, 02:20 PM   #46
scwxx77
little trouble girl

scwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's assesscwxx77 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think Tim liked it. Spectrum Culture review 55%: https://spectrumculture.com/2020/09/...e-fire-review/
scwxx77 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2020, 01:22 AM   #47
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Great interview. I skim/skip a lot of interviews as it tends to be the same boring old questions, but this has a lot of interesting trivia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Old 10.01.2020, 01:47 AM   #48
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwxx77
I don't think Tim liked it. Spectrum Culture review 55%: https://spectrumculture.com/2020/09/...e-fire-review/
Somehow this made me curious to try the new record. I like long noisy drones.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2020, 02:10 AM   #49
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwxx77

they did not like (as much) new Lee´s album either....though I can understand reviewer´s comments on a new album.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2020, 03:58 AM   #50
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Do you guys seriously like this stuff?

The only interesting tracks on it are probably Locomotives and They Believe in Love + Venus.

Rest is just the same harmonies repeating since Murray Street times all over again. I'm bored.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2020, 12:50 AM   #51
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
There have been some new songs uploaded to Thurston Moore's Bandcamp earlier today (or in the last few days): "They Believe In Love", "Dreamers Work", and "Locomotives". In addition to these, "Calligraphy" is there as well. Are these the same versions you would find on "By The Fire"? I've been away from Thurston's material for a while, but will check this new album out especially after reading that some inspiration might come from Anne Waldman. Just don't want to buy tracks from Bandcamp if it's the same that's on the actual record. Finding out that Lasse Marhaug has participated either mixing or mastering this album sparks a great interest from me as well.

https://thurstonmooregroup.bandcamp.com/music
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2020, 02:14 AM   #52
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
There have been some new songs uploaded to Thurston Moore's Bandcamp earlier today (or in the last few days): "They Believe In Love", "Dreamers Work", and "Locomotives". In addition to these, "Calligraphy" is there as well. Are these the same versions you would find on "By The Fire"? I've been away from Thurston's material for a while, but will check this new album out especially after reading that some inspiration might come from Anne Waldman. Just don't want to buy tracks from Bandcamp if it's the same that's on the actual record. Finding out that Lasse Marhaug has participated either mixing or mastering this album sparks a great interest from me as well.

https://thurstonmooregroup.bandcamp.com/music

I still haven't heard the new album, but I' m pretty sure they're the same versions, HBJ. On Bandcamp, Thurston is basically selling By The Fire on a track-by-track basis only, for some reason.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.03.2020, 03:34 AM   #53
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I still haven't heard the new album, but I' m pretty sure they're the same versions, HBJ. On Bandcamp, Thurston is basically selling By The Fire on a track-by-track basis only, for some reason.
I thought that'd probably be the case, which looks to me an odd thing to do. "Calligraphy" seems to have made its way to Bandcamp as a means to showcase the video and thus promote the record. I've decided to hold off on getting the files, and get the album at some point in physical format instead.

After some superficial listening, it sounds really good. Lasse Marhaug's work can be noticed and these mellow songs are better overall because of it. Hopefully at some point something from the experimental side of Thurston, can also get the Marhaug treatment.
Old 10.03.2020, 04:32 AM   #54
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
it gets even more confusing: he has two different accounts on bandcamp (or even more, didn't check). One of the album's songs (Cantaloupe) is on his "solo" account, the other album songs are on the "group" account
Some of the album tracks have not appeared at all yet.

Additionally, some songs are there twice on the group account, as video and as regular audio track. The same song is 1 GBP more expensive when you would buy it on the video page, than if you would pay for it on the audio page. I suppose the contents would be the same though

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2020, 06:55 AM   #55
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Additionally, some songs are there twice on the group account, as video and as regular audio track. The same song is 1 GBP more expensive when you would buy it on the video page, than if you would pay for it on the audio page. I suppose the contents would be the same though

Film director Radieux Radio has to get paid, y'know.

Old 10.04.2020, 08:37 PM   #56
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Brutal.
Old 10.12.2020, 07:26 AM   #57
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2020/10...ard-interview/
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2020, 10:14 AM   #58
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.reddit.com/r/indieheads/..._name=ioss mf
Old 10.13.2020, 02:12 AM   #59
Moshe
Super Moderator

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...Od0xQDrCE-anoE
Old 10.14.2020, 07:13 PM   #60
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Do you guys seriously like this stuff?

The only interesting tracks on it are probably Locomotives and They Believe in Love + Venus.

Rest is just the same harmonies repeating since Murray Street times all over again. I'm bored.
yeah agreed, the band's good and thankfully not that much singing but these songs are interminable, just a tiny idea he's nicked from his own band sandwiched in between dull tossed off jams......can appreciate this is maybe nice in like a bread and butter sort of way but this is just really uninteresting....sounds like the closer from SYR9 repeated forever but without an ounce of the unexpected. cut the fucking crescendos man.

obviously tuned out on thurston a long long time ago and this just drives home why

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth