Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Makes me sad...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.25.2006, 08:56 AM   #81
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
your definition of experimentation is not what we are dealing with here. if someone plays noise for twenty years and decides to try melody, that, TO THEM, is experimentation. I do not refer to the sounds produced, but the creative process.

and they did release SYR6 did they not? just a few months ago? is that not "experimental" enough for ya?
Old 07.25.2006, 09:52 AM   #82
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
why do so many people apparently hate NYCG&F?!?! I just bought it and have listened thru it a few times and i find it awesome! the only thing i don't like about it is kim's little bit in Lightnin'... it sounds like really corny poetry... that isn't all that poetic.

I REALLY liked NYCG&F when it came out. Maybe two years later I realized I didn't like it nearly as much. Don't hate it by any means. Still listen to it every once in a while.

Anyway, you're all right. Sonic Youth probably should not break up. I've realized that, even though RR is really depressing to me, it means a lot to a lot of people, and I guess that's what matters (?).
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 01:23 PM   #83
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
if you've been listening to them from 10 to 24, have you ever thought maybe your tastes are just changing? bands grow and change at the same rate we as individuals do, and you either grow together or grow apart. i grew at a different rate than the chili peppers - love their old stuff, am bored by their new stuff, but i know people who hate the old stuff and love the new stuff. i had the opposite experience with ween, as they grew and changed in the same direction i did. as long as there are people to love the new stuff out there, you can't really blame the band. and you can only do experimental so many times before it's not really experimental anymore. i didn't read the whole thread to know if anyone else had a similar opinion, but that's mine.

i like rather ripped. it doesn't drive me the same way sister or goo did when i was 15, but music in general doesn't quite stir up those same teenage emotions - you just can't recreate that feeling. there are plenty of real "youth" at sonic youth shows today, which is cool as fuck to see. and i assume they're digging the new stuff, especially if one of the newer albums is their first sonic youth album.

i feel your sadness. just find another favorite band. in a few years you'll do a whole new sonic youth renaissance and rediscover them and you may love this "new stuff" by the time it becomes "old stuff."
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 01:53 PM   #84
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Rob Instigator, Rather Ripped is FAR form a masterpeice. Yes, it does have some hooks and some decent melodies, but it is not all that interesting engaging or really good. It's a so-so record. Like a C+ or MAYBE even a low B- if you really want to be gracious. 3 1/2 stars, tops.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 02:56 PM   #85
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Masterpiece it is not. i agree with that, but I find it to be a very strong record, and great songs.

it is two hundred times better than EJST&NS!!!!
Old 07.25.2006, 03:04 PM   #86
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
That's ridiculous! Experimental Jet Set is hands down their most underrated album. I never understood people dissing it.
Old 07.25.2006, 03:04 PM   #87
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Definitely better than Goo and Dirty...combined!
Old 07.25.2006, 03:09 PM   #88
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipslikewindows
That's ridiculous! Experimental Jet Set is hands down their most underrated album. I never understood people dissing it.

word uP! that album is awesome! i hated it when i first bought it. but then now when i listen to it i am amazed every time! it's a more of a departure from the sonic sound then most of there albums (not a bad thing, either way) and it doesn't get too un-sonic, its fantastic! it, like every album on the planet, ahs its weaker songs, but there isn't a song on the album that i would say i don't like.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2006, 03:10 PM   #89
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

And "Sweet Shine" is a beautiful closer.
Old 07.25.2006, 03:15 PM   #90
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

It is the one album of sonic youth's whose existance I deny. it is sooooo BORING
Old 07.25.2006, 03:16 PM   #91
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

daydream nation has no weak songs baby!

cross the breeze may be the single greatest un-sung classic in sonic youth's repertoire

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth