Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Mark Ibold with Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2007, 05:18 PM   #21
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Mark Ibold isn't some session player for hire, he's a friend of the band who likes to rock out.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 06:21 PM   #22
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
Mark Ibold isn't some session player for hire, he's a friend of the band who likes to rock out.
yr damn right man and it's surely a bonus if Mark does play with Sonic Youth at the DDN shows!
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 06:28 PM   #23
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Mark is the man.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 07:05 PM   #24
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
naw, i think the reference was to R.E.M. (who had 2 additional instrumentalists at the time, including scott mccaughey who's now been in the band for 10+ years and of course fronts the ineffable minus 5, w/ peter buck). i don't think a quartet enlisting 2 sidemen for their first major rock tour in 5 years is a huge deal (and they already had one on their previous tour).

of course, after bill left they had to get a replacement drummer, making it 3 'original' R.E.M. + 3 'sidemen' on subsequent tours.

and renderful, i'd stop contributing to this thread. the songs on rather ripped weren't written for 2 basses, and while i understand the point you were trying to make regarding multi-tracking, it's well-known that kim plays all the bass parts except on 'rats', which is thurston.

and yeh, kim's wrist problems are the primary reason for bringing her former free kitten bandmate along for the ride. i think he was a great choice, even if i do find the double-bass attack puzzling (though not 'bad' in any way). will be curious to see how they handle daydream.

Yes... now that I re-read the post it is clear he was referring to REM. I'd imagine that Mark has been working with them on the Daydream songs if Kim's wrists are a problem.
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 07:43 PM   #25
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

I definitely liked it better when the extra person was Jim 'O Rourke as a full 5th member, but Jim wanted to leave. The band is making do with the deck they've been handed, and they're still putting on awesome shows.

I think it would be awesome if Mark joined as a full member. Kim could play third guitar again and Mark could play bass. As an extra benefit, playing guitar would also be easier on her wrists than playing bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renderful

The other reason is Kim's arthritis, but there are very many parts where they are both playing the bass feverishly. It makes absolutely 0 difference if Ibold was involved in the recording/writing process. Multitrack recording allows for 2 people to play 100 instruments if they'd like or 1 person to be an entire band. They could easily write and record multiple bass parts with only 1 bassist(although Thurston OR Lee could be playing bass on any of those tracks). There's no way to tell.

Thurston and Lee don't play bass on the RR; Kim plays bass. One exception is Rats, in which Thurston plays bass. And I don't think SY do multi-track recording too much.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2007, 07:51 PM   #26
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
i would imagine, just cuz he already knows 4 or 5 of the tunes on the album, and that they're doing daydream shows amidst the 'regular' shows, that mark will be present for the daydream gigs. i can certainly understand the appeal of having 'the original four' do the daydream gigs, but given kim plays (pretty heavy) bass parts on all the songs, i would imagine mark will be involved. which is fine by me!

i'll be very curious to see if kim abandons the bass for all of the songs she sings. can you see her dancing around to the outro of 'the sprawl'? we already know she doesn't play on kissability...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 01:25 AM   #27
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
kim IS the tramadol spammer!

SY is moving towards an all-bass line-up, and steve is getting double bass drums, with a double kick pedal set for each, and the next record will be written specifically for low-rider cars w/ super sub-woofers, and thurston will fire cannons on loan from the smithsonian durring the climax...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 02:11 AM   #28
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
One of those extra R.E.M. players (guy with the dreads) was Asi Nisi Masa's Brian Harris...good guy.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 08:48 AM   #29
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
so does mark assume his customary centre stage position like he did with the 'ment? or does he and kim battle for that place with bass necks duelling?
Old 04.30.2007, 08:52 AM   #30
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
They alternate between Mark sitting on Kim's shoulders and Kim sitting on Mark's.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 03:17 PM   #31
Sublimedo
empty page

Sublimedo is a splendid one to beholdSublimedo is a splendid one to beholdSublimedo is a splendid one to beholdSublimedo is a splendid one to beholdSublimedo is a splendid one to beholdSublimedo is a splendid one to beholdSublimedo is a splendid one to behold
Mark Ibold is awesome. I'm certain the bands not just okay with him in there, they want him in the band. I do miss Jim though.

I'm certain he'll be there for the DDN shows, Candle was great at Coachella.
Sublimedo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 03:57 PM   #32
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
what if.... JIM + mark + SY for the ddn dates ? tripleguitardoublebasswithadrummerthat'smorethanen oughbyhimself galore. HA!.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 05:29 PM   #33
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Mark always looks so happy when he's playing his bass, when he does that little skip/jump thing and looks up after he hits each note to see who's looking. Always with a smile on his face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwrbdKQ08o See here.
Old 04.30.2007, 05:43 PM   #34
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Mark is there cause they're slowly setting the stage for kicking Kim out the band. She's history, let her go.

Psst... Lee's next. Steve's getting ready to take this whole fucking thing over.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 05:53 PM   #35
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

About fucking time..

Pave the way for Mayor Sheriff Steve Shelley, Texas Ranger.
Old 04.30.2007, 11:42 PM   #36
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
I'm kinda puzzled too. I mean, whatever SY brings in is cool with me, the one point I don't get is - if it's that much of a problem to her to actually play bass, why then is she kicking the hell outta it at ALL SHOWS, for almost 85% of the show? That, I just don't get.
Old 05.01.2007, 12:37 AM   #37
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
I'm kinda puzzled too. I mean, whatever SY brings in is cool with me, the one point I don't get is - if it's that much of a problem to her to actually play bass, why then is she kicking the hell outta it at ALL SHOWS, for almost 85% of the show? That, I just don't get.

she is doing as much as she possibly can do.
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth