Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.17.2016, 09:29 AM   #19781
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Watched it this weekend. 5/10. It had some fucking FUNNY parts but it felt very slight, as if they were trying to go dark and weird but decided at the last minute to edit out the weirdness and bizarre stuff since the whole mascots angle better suited a more family friendly film.

Cool cameo return of Corky St. Clair though.....
Old 10.17.2016, 11:30 PM   #19782
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK

for some reason it had eluded me all these years

it's fucking great
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2016, 02:12 AM   #19783
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, that's great. and another one, like the wicker man, that belongs in that category of the uncategorisable.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2016, 08:37 AM   #19784
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
one of the things i really enjoyed from the start is that the movie doesn't naturalize things, by this i mean, it shows you this scene and these people who should be completely "normal" but instead of trying to familiarize you with them as an ordinary film would do it shows you what is strange about them and points and things you don't know and changes shots to seemingly unrelated things. it's like the tolstoian ostranenie but in reverse--it shows you the familiar but points towards the unknown. just brilliant.

i've seen the last wave, ages ago, and it's also unusual but in a more predictable way, and i've also seen some of his mainstream films and enjoyed them, but this is totally different from the rest, though maybe i have to rewatch some of the others and see the ones i've missed with the perspective of this one.
Old 10.18.2016, 01:24 PM   #19785
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's a while since I saw it so can't recall individual scenes; I just remember an overall atmosphere that really got to me.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2016, 01:35 PM   #19786
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

perfect time of the year to rewatch it. alternatively: valentine's day haa haa haa.
Old 10.20.2016, 11:03 PM   #19787
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

just finished true detective season 2-- the last episode was movie length so i guess it qualifies

damn!

damn damn damn....
Old 10.21.2016, 01:09 AM   #19788
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
so i watched summer of sam for first time in like 15 years because i remembered totally not liking it, or in particular just really not liking John Leguizamo in it, but seeing it again it wasn't entirely terrible and i also didn't know it was a spike lee joint!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2016, 10:22 PM   #19789
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
just finished true detective season 2-- the last episode was movie length so i guess it qualifies

damn!

damn damn damn....

See what I mean?
Pretty goddamn good, right? Totally got a shit rap from the press who wanted more McConaughey, more McConaughey! Honestly -- who can blame them? That first season was insanely good.

But it's not fair to the second series, which is its own beast, and deserves to be evaluated on its own merits.

Corking good (sad) last episode!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2016, 02:22 PM   #19790
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
See what I mean?
Pretty goddamn good, right? Totally got a shit rap from the press who wanted more McConaughey, more McConaughey! Honestly -- who can blame them? That first season was insanely good.

But it's not fair to the second series, which is its own beast, and deserves to be evaluated on its own merits.

Corking good (sad) last episode!

i loved it, and i'm still haunted by those characters. GREAT characters.

and yeah, ufff... wow...

great though. great.
Old 10.22.2016, 02:34 PM   #19791
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
the second season of td was massively rushed, but yeah its still excellent.

first season is heavily plagiarised from thomas ligotti and falls apart at the end but still v good.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2016, 02:39 PM   #19792
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
black mirror is back on netflix havent watched it but

just want to point out how over half of the episodes of this show are utter shite. this is the most pompous and overhyped turd of a show ro be revered by idiots in a long time.

in fact there is about 1 good episode which is the talent show one, the rest are pretty much rich white people (played by the right number of rich light brown people) bursting out into spasms of aggressive fury over the existential crisis brought about by their smartphones.

that is LITERALLY what this show is 99% of the time.

this show is literally a rich english person throwing an aggressive temper tantrum because
digital capitalism isn't flattering enough to their narcissism. not quietly of course, but right in someone elses face like it's somehow their fault.

very english.

wish i lived in america and didnt have to deal with this shit.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2016, 04:45 PM   #19793
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

just finished ARMY OF DARKNESS haaa haaaahaaaaa

awesome!!

i laughed and laughed-- so many cheesy lines and so much funny action

bruce campbell's style now the one i'd recognize anywhere

really great stuff, very entertaining
Old 10.22.2016, 05:03 PM   #19794
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
just finished ARMY OF DARKNESS haaa haaaahaaaaa

awesome!!

i laughed and laughed-- so many cheesy lines and so much funny action

bruce campbell's style now the one i'd recognize anywhere

really great stuff, very entertaining

fantastic you clearly "get it"..

its a masterpiece of camp and cheese
personally i always interpreted it as satire or parody on both horror but also those mythical type of hollywood flicks that were popular in the 80s

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2016, 10:42 AM   #19795
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
fantastic you clearly "get it"..

its a masterpiece of camp and cheese
personally i always interpreted it as satire or parody on both horror but also those mythical type of hollywood flicks that were popular in the 80s
oh, i didn't read it as satire or parody-- i read it as a straight story, very enthusiastic and imaginative but also very conscious of its sources (kaatu barada nikto, haaa haa haa,) and with a great sense of humor. postmodern if you will, and very funny, but not a mockery like the zucker brothers would make. i can see why he was picked to do spiderman. now i'm a fan and have to look at his other films (darkman, etc.)

the alternate ending shown on the disc was twilight zone hilarious btw.
Old 10.23.2016, 10:49 AM   #19796
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yesterday watched 2 great films

THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH

i got this thing for the weekend as b-movie fodder but holy shit it was so good it blew me away. great script, great camera, great performances, wow. then credits roll and i spot nicolas roeg as cinematographer. 2.35:1 aspect ratio in some wonderful looking "colorama". this has to be the best-made low-budget movie ever. corman is great.

CAT PEOPLE (original 1942 version)

awesome! so well done. tight, original story, and time flies by in it. gorgeous bluray restoration does justice to the great lighting and camera work-- plus some interesting extras on it. this is like nothing else i've seen in recent times. great job, criterion!
Old 10.23.2016, 01:19 PM   #19797
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i loved it, and i'm still haunted by those characters. GREAT characters.

and yeah, ufff... wow...

great though. great.

Oh man, that last episode of TD2 stuck with me for weeks. Just ... fucking hell man... that landed. Hit me right in the gut in the way a great film (or show) should. So sad it was almost terrifying.

And not to spoil anything for anyone else, but I just have to mention... that desert scene. DAMN. When they asked for Frank's coat... UFFF.
Like, you just knew what was going to happen.
All he had to do was give up his dignity and all would have (supposedly) been well, but that was never going to happen.

It was great because it made me care... and care deeply... about these more or less despicable people. These two men who were only really "despicable" because they were flawed in the exact ways that the best of men are. Really, they were just people, surviving and living with their choices.
Old 10.23.2016, 01:24 PM   #19798
Severian
invito al cielo

TD2 didn't have an almost morally invincible character like Rustin Cole. Rustin was great in the way Batman is great. He did fucked up things, was achingly human, but was trustworthy to a fault, and almost saint-like in his heroism.

TD2 had no innocents, or casualties of evil made stronger by their pain. The only innocents were the female leads. And they still had their issues, but they were as close to innocent as the show got.

I think that's why the tag line for the show was "you get the life you deserve." In the end, everyone kind of did.
Old 10.23.2016, 01:29 PM   #19799
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Car Wash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXmeP9TvBg
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2016, 05:22 AM   #19800
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
black mirror is back on netflix havent watched it but

this show is literally a rich english person throwing an aggressive temper tantrum because
digital capitalism isn't flattering enough to their narcissism. not quietly of course, but right in someone elses face like it's somehow their fault.

very english.

You're criticizing a British show for being British? Also, you seem to either think the creator themselves is the narcissist for spotlighting society's obsession with narcissism, or being pompous enough to criticize their obsession with narcissism. I think much of the series is stating how society is willfully putting themselves out there to the world to be mocked or hated, and then can't take it when they get mocked or hated by the world.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
890940980987988989 990 991992993100010401090 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth