Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.30.2013, 06:13 PM   #16781
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
tom stoppard's anna karenina directed by some guy whp's name i don't remember

the trailer, at the movies, had looked spectacular, and i love the novel, and i like tom stoppard, so i HAD TO watch this.

at first it was QUITE FUCKING GRATING to adapt to the conceit that the whole movie is staged-- on a stage. kindasorta. at times the stage opens and you're in the fucking steppes. and then i thought: "oh, tom fucking stoppard, it's you and your fucking postmodernism you!" (that's the guy i was just talking about the otehr day who stuffed his plays with "theory," but i couldn't remember his name... well it is tom stoppard... anyway...)

so what happens here is that instead of getting some sort of realist recreation (like you had for example with fanny and alexander where the world is "there" in front of the camera) there is a fuckload of signifying, here. neither showing nor telling but rather "pointing at"-- bits of acting and staging that signify "here the person travels to the farm", "now they have moved to a restaurant", "and now these two are both horny." and there's a bunch of shots of little toy trains. kinda like an old godzilla movie. well, it's a kind of "telling", but it's quick.

it really breaks the conventions of narrative cinema and it's highly annoying...

...at first.

because, if you have read the novel, you know it's a massive motherfucker that takes forever to read (i read 1-2 chapters per day over a summer). and you know how movies adapt massive novels-- pick a thing or two, shine a light over it and obscure the rest, bam, it is done.

but here no! here every main piece of plot was covered! very little was missing! and this was done by-- signifyin'

****** SPOILERS GALORE NOW FURIOUSLY ENSUE **********

yes, tolstoy's disquisitions about oblonsky's calves weren't there; and levin's tortured dreams and meditations weren't spelled out word by word, but they were-- signified! you know what i mean? there was something always pointing at these things. so that if you knew the novel you could say "ah, here's where levin realizes he had been thinking wrong but living right" or, "oh shit, look at kitty's old dumb parents, all phegmy," etc.

******************SPOILERS NOW ENDED************

now how this looked like to someone with no knowledge of the novel whatsoever, i don't know. probably contrived and highly theatrical, like a baz luhrmann movie, and at times you almost expected them to break into song and dance, but fortunately (for me anyway) they didn't. regardless, all this posturing was still meaningful. plus, keira knightley's delicate neck/jawline and enormous canines are always fun to contemplate (as roland barthes made it clear-- the closeup is the reason for movies to exist).

so where was i going with this? oh yes. a high level of artificiality that serves the story well, i think. tom stoppard! you clever fucker!

the sets by the way were fucking exquisite.

3.5/5 maybe?? it was a long shot all along. and quite heroic. and it looks fucking great.

*******ONE LAST FAT SPOILER FOR THE ROAD *********

oh shit, i almost forgot-- the only part that really was lacking at the end and looked like fucking treason was they did not have vronsky going to war (in a train, of course, what else) and grinding his teeth full of deathwish. fuckers! that-- that was wrong, that. that! he doesn't just run away into the next pussy! not this time! hronged us you have with that wrong plot. does not compute. fuckers!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2013, 03:47 AM   #16782
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
The guy who directed that (Joe Wright) also did Atonement. That was a great film and all it's clearly done by somebody who knows what they're doing in terms of directing.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2013, 11:07 PM   #16783
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
YESSS!!!!

That was the first Bresson film I ever saw and immediately made me want to see everything by him. 10/10 is right.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 06:40 PM   #16784
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
I just started watching Von Trier's the Kingdom, pretty impressed so far. It's kind of a cross between a hospital drama and Twin Peaks.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 08:34 PM   #16785
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

generally I hate films unless they are overbearingly shit, but tarr's film reminds me so heavily of tarkovsky, whose work I love, in that there is always an overarching misery to it; any semblance of hope is stifled, it's not even explored at all, but rather it's just drowned in the density of the atmosphere. he also has that same ability to conjure up these really beautiful images which are juxtaposed with the fact that they are blatantly horrible, painful.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 08:34 PM   #16786
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

generally I hate films unless they are overbearingly shit, but tarr's film reminds me so heavily of tarkovsky, whose work I love, in that there is always an overarching misery to it; any semblance of hope is stifled, it's not even explored at all, but rather it's just drowned in the density of the atmosphere. he also has that same ability to conjure up these really beautiful images which are juxtaposed with the fact that they are blatantly horrible, painful.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 10:33 PM   #16787
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
SO - until then, tonight I'm starting Season One of, Dead Like Me. If anyone has any thoughts about this show, please share them with me.

i never liked it much but it had a semi-cult following. i think a lot of people were fans in this board. i can watch it, but it's just not very challenging for me-- it's one of those types of shows that always ends in a "lesson". getting schooled on the art of living by tv writers isn't exactly my thing, especially when they do it so overtly ("life is like a box of chocolates... bla bla bla bla some stupid bullshit"). but i can find some entertainment in it so it's not a total loss. C-?
Old 04.02.2013, 01:53 AM   #16788
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
This is strange in the good kind of way: http://youtu.be/5McczZo-u4o

It is a pretty bizarre series overall. Pretty low budget in places but I suppose you could kind of expect that of early 90's Danish television.

It's quite slow to start with but once it gets going its great. Shame they never made the final series because two of the main actors died.

I would recommend it though.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2013, 04:47 PM   #16789
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Unforgiven
Old 04.03.2013, 04:57 PM   #16790
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Unforgiven

so... do you not forgive it???
Old 04.03.2013, 05:35 PM   #16791
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Haha, no. I love it.
Old 04.03.2013, 06:25 PM   #16792
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
i just had hernia surgery so my girlfriend got a bunch of dvd's from the library for me (she's the best!) while i recover and one of them was the movie AWAY WE GO. it was godawful, they tried to make EVERY single goddamn scene so meaningful by playing like nick drake type music in the background. when everything is SOOO heavy in every scene it kind of dilutes everything. it was awful!

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2013, 08:14 AM   #16793
Trama
stalker

Trama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's asses

Trama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2013, 03:14 PM   #16794
demonrail666
invito al cielo

End of Watch

I enjoyed this more the first time I saw it. Michael Pena is still great though. I hope he gets a proper leading role some time.

Missing in Action

Does a gun still work after it's been under water? Chuck Norris' does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZQpGcNWVI
Old 04.07.2013, 07:25 AM   #16795
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2013, 11:42 AM   #16796
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Sunshine State

Bits of this are great but by the end of it I felt like I'd watched an adaptation of a Carl Hiaasen novel that'd had all the humour taken out.

^^Murmer, I pretty much agree with everything you say about Man Escaped. Although I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers, given the film's own title effectively gives the ending away.
Old 04.08.2013, 07:34 PM   #16797
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the new Evil Dead yesterday and it was incredible.
Old 04.08.2013, 07:45 PM   #16798
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I saw the new Evil Dead yesterday and it was incredible.

Have they kept the scene with the tree branch?
Old 04.10.2013, 08:50 AM   #16799
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.10.2013, 09:13 AM   #16800
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Sunshine State

Bits of this are great but by the end of it I felt like I'd watched an adaptation of a Carl Hiaasen novel that'd had all the humour taken out.

watch this instead

740790830837838839 840 841842843850890940 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth