Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal reviews thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.02.2009, 04:26 PM   #21
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
i'm glad Eternal's getting good reviews but i sort of wish they made another pre-Jim record. rather than post-Jim

I understand that, but they can't make a pre-Jim record, because Jim has been in the band, so anything would be post-Jim.

And I'm not just saying that to be smart; I know what you mean, and it sounds like I am arguing semantics. What I'm saying though is that Jim is now a part of SY's evolution. I love their earlier stuff, but I wouldn't ask them to keep making the same music forever. Evolution is what has made SY so great, the fact that they are constantly changing, constantly staying ahead of the game. We may come from a group that knows their amazing past, but there are probably many who will pick this up as their first SY album, only having heard the name "Sonic Youth" before, but never knowing their sound. This album will inspire many more musicians to do what they want to do, just as Sonic Youth has does with each album since they began making music.

RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE, I know...
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 06:07 AM   #24
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Let's face it... everyone is waiting for the Pitchfork review (aren't they?).
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 07:34 AM   #25
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
Who gives a shit about Pitchfork? Their reviews are so weird and inconsistent. They gave Boris's Pink this glowing review, but their very next major release, Smile, trashed them all over the place. They don't make very much sense.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 07:49 AM   #26
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not waiting for it because I respect and follow their opinion but I'm curious as to how they approach it.
Old 06.04.2009, 07:59 AM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They'll give it a.. oh... let's see, how much ad space did Matador buy from them this week? I'd say they'll give it a 7.9. And they'll say something along the lines of "Mixing Rathered Ripped's pop experimentation with a noisier edge, recalling their (pardon the pun) 'sonic youth'... freed from major label constraints" blah blah blah blah "...The band sounds more energetic and revitalized..." blah blah blah "Very consistent [mentions and half-apologizes for NYC Ghosts and Flowers' original review]" blah blah blah and finally, "Sonic Youth is back!"

There ya go!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 08:16 AM   #28
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
They'll give it a.. oh... let's see, how much ad space did Matador buy from them this week? I'd say they'll give it a 7.9. And they'll say something along the lines of "Mixing Rathered Ripped's pop experimentation with a noisier edge, recalling their (pardon the pun) 'sonic youth'... freed from major label constraints" blah blah blah blah "...The band sounds more energetic and revitalized..." blah blah blah "Very consistent [mentions and half-apologizes for NYC Ghosts and Flowers' original review]" blah blah blah and finally, "Sonic Youth is back!"

There ya go!

Assuming every "blah blah blah" in your post is equal to 200 words of unnecessary filler, I'd say you pretty much nailed it.
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 08:23 AM   #29
Tanzende Schauspieler
little trouble girl

Tanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's assesTanzende Schauspieler kicks all y'all's asses
oh oh oh, i haven't heard a song off it yet!1!!
any good traxks'n 'tunes there?
Tanzende Schauspieler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 10:15 AM   #30
NWRA
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

There ya go!

I'll go along with that haha (definitely a mention that it's a concept album of their past, with the 'no wave' of Anti-Orgasm) - I've yet to see a review of The Eternal which has convinced me that the reviewer has actually listened to it (or listened to it properly and more than once). Apart from maybe the suprisingly generous NME one (8/10).
Old 06.04.2009, 10:22 AM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, oh man you're right, I should've mentioned that. "Exploring their roots, the no wave 'Anti-Orgasm' is an appropriate choice for the lead-off track, incorporating all the elements of classic SY skronk with a pop hook. 'I want you to levitate me' Kim Gordon intones over alternate-tuned guitars. New bassist Mark Ibold plays a catchy bassline and makes the band sound fuller and more confident than they have in years."

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 10:32 AM   #32
alex_could
bad moon rising

alex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's asses
I've also read that it's the 1st album after O'Rourke leaving.
alex_could is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 10:34 AM   #33
alex_could
bad moon rising

alex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's assesalex_could kicks all y'all's asses
here it is: http://www.culturedeluxe.com/news_item.asp?id=5966
alex_could is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 10:42 AM   #34
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
You gotta keep in mind though that average indie music fans do not typically know a lot about a band or it's background, they just sort of know what's new and whatnot, so Pitchfork is just catering to their needs. If you want something more in depth, you obviously should look else where.
Old 06.04.2009, 12:10 PM   #35
wills123
little trouble girl

wills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asses
From normanrecords.com

I am champion of the staff Sonic Youth prize draw! Master of all things chance based! It is I who hath received a free copy of the yoof’s ‘The Eternal’ on a sexy slab of heavy weight vinyl!!! It is I who hath received the bonus Sonic Youth Live L.P and Dennis Tyfus illustrated poster you get if you were savvy enough to pre-order the L.P!!! It is I who hath been privy to a sneaky peak at the album pre-release thanks to Matador’s Buy Early Get Now scheme that lets you stream the album online. Jealousy levels?? Gloating aside it’s always a pleasure to get my mitts on new Sonic Youth stuff. I’m chuffed to bits that Mark Ibold (Pavement) is playing bass nowadays and the shift to Matador appears to have reinvigorated and inspired the group to kick out some party jams, taking the tunefulness of ‘Rather Ripped’ and rockin’ that shit out 1991 style. Nothing on ‘The Eternal’ breaks new ground, rather it revisits and reinterprets past themes with rigorous enthusiasm and joy. You get elements of the fucked up pop grunge stuff of Dirty/Goo/Sister/Evol (Sacred Trickster, Anti-Orgasm and the awesome Thunderclap For Bobby Pyn), you get space rock outings (Calming the snake), sweet indie pop anthems (Poison arrow) and an epic final track that tips the hat to Washing machine’s stand-out tune ‘The Diamond sea’. The production is too smooth to really invoke the true spirit of the aforementioned tunes (the fact that some douche bag stole all their best equipment a few years back probably doesn't help either) but you get a hint of past glories and that’s enough. I can hear a little of Pavement in ‘No Way’ and the psyche-pop jam of ‘Walking Blue’ and the wonky riff on ‘Malibu Gas Station’ is one of my fave yoof riffs in recent memory. I am a big fan of the later Sonic Youth records so I’m not gonna say something crazy like ‘it’s their best record in 15 year’ but I will commit to ‘their most consistently rocking record in sometime time’ and say that I am loving it right about now yo!! Peace!
wills123 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 02:01 PM   #36
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.recordcollectormag.com/re...ew-detail/4211
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 02:05 PM   #37
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple

They barely talked about the music. Instead they just talked about what Sonic Youth used to do and what they wish they sounded like.

Ah, hell hath no fury like an SY fan scorned...
Old 06.04.2009, 02:22 PM   #38
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
New Music Report: Sonic Youth
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2009, 12:04 AM   #39
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.guardian.co.uk:80/music/2...th-the-eternal
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2009, 12:09 AM   #40
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13153-the-eternal/

I agree with them on this one, but I don't like how it's written.
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth