Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Goofin reissues
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 02.19.2018, 08:51 AM   #1
mattiaslarsson
empty page
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
mattiaslarsson has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hi SY experts,
I have some questions about the reissues that came out on Goofin records a couple years ago (EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, etc):

1. Are both the vinyl and CD versions remastered, or only the vinyl versions (I have seen conflicting information about this)?
2. What about the digital download versions (included with vinyl), are they the same as the vinyl or CD (if these are not both remastered)?
3. Is it possible to purchase the digital albums, or are they only included with vinyl albums?
4. Are the CD's the same version as the original CD releases, or some later remaster (if the answer to question 1 is that only Goofin vinyls are remastered)?

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify.

Mattias
mattiaslarsson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2018, 12:08 AM   #2
hedgehog
empty page
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 15
hedgehog has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiaslarsson
Hi SY experts,
I have some questions about the reissues that came out on Goofin records a couple years ago (EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, etc):

1. Are both the vinyl and CD versions remastered, or only the vinyl versions (I have seen conflicting information about this)?
2. What about the digital download versions (included with vinyl), are they the same as the vinyl or CD (if these are not both remastered)?
3. Is it possible to purchase the digital albums, or are they only included with vinyl albums?
4. Are the CD's the same version as the original CD releases, or some later remaster (if the answer to question 1 is that only Goofin vinyls are remastered)?

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify.

Mattias

Daydream Nation was remastered for both vinyl and CD. All the rest were remastered for vinyl but the CD versions simply use the Geffen masters so, aside from the Bad Moon Rising track markers being fixed, they are the same. The download codes that come with the vinyl are basically rips of the CD releases. The digital versions on itunes et al are the same Geffen masters too. Vinyl is the only way to get the remastered versions, it seems.
hedgehog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2018, 02:09 AM   #3
mattiaslarsson
empty page
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
mattiaslarsson has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog
Daydream Nation was remastered for both vinyl and CD. All the rest were remastered for vinyl but the CD versions simply use the Geffen masters so, aside from the Bad Moon Rising track markers being fixed, they are the same. The download codes that come with the vinyl are basically rips of the CD releases. The digital versions on itunes et al are the same Geffen masters too. Vinyl is the only way to get the remastered versions, it seems.
Thanks!

So Daydream Nation is a new remaster (i.e., not the same as the 2-CD deluxe version), right? Any idea about why Daydream was remastered for CD, but not the other albums?

The reason that I'm asking is that I have all the old Geffen CD's and I was wondering if there would be any benefit from getting the Goofin reissued CD's.

Mattias
mattiaslarsson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2018, 08:31 AM   #4
hedgehog
empty page
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 15
hedgehog has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Yes, the Goofin version of Daydream Nation on CD is the same 2007 mastering as on vinyl so that may be worth getting. 'Sonic Youth', 'Confusion...', Bad Moon', 'Evol' and 'Sister' are exactly the same as the Geffen CDs so not worth getting. I don't know why this is the case. If anything, the new 'Confusion...' is of less value (because they've cut the 'Kill Yr Idols' EP off the end and, also, Master Dik is cut from the end of 'Sister'. On top of that, the Geffen versions have those liner notes which don't appear in the Goofin' re-issues.... you never know, those Geffen CDs may become quite sought-after!
hedgehog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2018, 10:37 AM   #5
mattiaslarsson
empty page
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
mattiaslarsson has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog
Yes, the Goofin version of Daydream Nation on CD is the same 2007 mastering as on vinyl so that may be worth getting. 'Sonic Youth', 'Confusion...', Bad Moon', 'Evol' and 'Sister' are exactly the same as the Geffen CDs so not worth getting. I don't know why this is the case. If anything, the new 'Confusion...' is of less value (because they've cut the 'Kill Yr Idols' EP off the end and, also, Master Dik is cut from the end of 'Sister'. On top of that, the Geffen versions have those liner notes which don't appear in the Goofin' re-issues.... you never know, those Geffen CDs may become quite sought-after!
Thanks again!

Is the Goofin version of Daydream Nation on CD the same mastering as the Geffen deluxe version from 2007? I already have that one, so in that case no reason to get the Goofin Daydream CD.
mattiaslarsson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2018, 05:52 PM   #6
hedgehog
empty page
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 15
hedgehog has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Same thing, you don't need it. :-)
hedgehog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2018, 07:43 PM   #7
becuz
empty page
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11
becuz has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiaslarsson
Thanks!

Any idea about why Daydream was remastered for CD, but not the other albums?


My guess would be that it is because a digital remaster already existed for DN (from Geffen's deluxe reissue). The earlier albums were remastered specifically for analog/vinyl, and given the limited interest in CD's these days they probably felt it was not worth investing in new remastered versions for the digital realm. It's a smart move actually, because once a digital remaster finds its way online, it could negatively impact sales of the vinyl. By keeping the remastered version strictly vinyl, fans who may have been satisfied with a file-shared download of a digital remaster may be more likely to pick up the vinyl. Sure you can get vinyl rips online, but unlike digitally sourced versions, their quality varies.
becuz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2018, 08:32 PM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo
 
noisereductions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 16,278
noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
This is interesting. Glad I kept my Geffen stuff and never 'upgraded'.

On that note, there was a CD reissue of Whitey Album when the self titled and Psychic Hearts were reissued. Is Whitey the same as the Geffen release as well?
__________________
noisereduxinstalled.weebly.com
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2018, 01:20 PM   #9
radarmaker
the end of the ugly
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spahn Ranch
Posts: 1,097
radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
From what I understand, the Goofin' LPs of Bad Moon thru Sister all use the same metalwork as the 2010/11 ORG issues.
Similarly, the 2LP Daydream comes from the same stampers as the 4LP box.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2018, 03:22 AM   #10
becuz
empty page
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11
becuz has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
What does everyone think about the Geffen-period SY vinyl reissues? Do they sound as good or better than the original vinyl pressings? How do the more recent LP's measure up to the Goofin' pressings?
becuz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2018, 12:57 PM   #11
radarmaker
the end of the ugly
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spahn Ranch
Posts: 1,097
radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
I've got the Geffen Sister & EVOL. They're both basic no-frills pressings & definitely inferior to originals.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2018, 08:20 PM   #12
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo
 
The Soup Nazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 10,520
The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
I've got the Geffen Sister & EVOL. They're both basic no-frills pressings & definitely inferior to originals.

Damn. I have the 2010 RSD remastered & pink EVOL I don't have a Geffen copy to compare it with but I imagine mine sounds better!

https://www.discogs.com/Sonic-Youth-...elease/2238439

Released by Universal/UMG/Original Recordings Group, "launched in winter of 2006 with a clear mission: to produce and market the highest quality vinyl records and packaging for the music industry". Hmmmm...

https://www.discogs.com/label/130199...cordings-Group
__________________

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

 
The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2018, 10:49 PM   #13
becuz
empty page
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11
becuz has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Has anyone compared the Universal reissue of ATL to the Goofin' pressing? It's the last SY album I have left to get on vinyl and I'm wondering which one I should go for.
becuz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|


Thread Tools

All content 2006 Sonic Youth