Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page 'Number Stations' and the Conet Project
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.11.2008, 07:03 PM   #41
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not expecting to find the energy to do them, but you will be notified if I do. Anything I put into an exhibition will probably have appeared on flickr in one form or another anyway.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2008, 07:26 PM   #42
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yay! Hip Priest!

I really have nothing more to say, but... he reminds me of why I got involved in this terror of a forum in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2008, 07:32 PM   #43
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
although I'm not entirely sure what it's about, this is one of my favorite threads.

I made a conscious effort not to ruin it. take that as you will.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2008, 06:25 PM   #44
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
Here's another weeks oddities and number stations I've recorded. Two Russian voice stations, E06 & E07... A Cuban morse station and my latest X06 recording.

Added to this, some unidentified polytones and some religious stations... oh and some music at the start.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TT...ZEtsUjlMWEE9PQ

I'd include "the buzzer", but my god that is one annoying thing to monitor.

And here's a pic I took of one of the old frontiers last month. meh.

Old 12.21.2008, 06:28 PM   #45
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for that download, ithinkimissyou. Number stations and a bit of Brother Stair too!

Old 04.23.2009, 11:07 AM   #46
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
Warning: 16 minutes of shortwave

http://www.yousendit.com/download/dV...T01laFJMWEE9PQ

Recorded over the last month or so:

V2a Attencion! from Cuba

With Mossad station ULX being jammed (presumably by Iran)

More from that quirky unpredictable X06 Selcall system used by the Russians

E06 the English Man puts in an appearance again

The US-GHFS gets in on the act with a coded message from Andrews AFB

A Polish station called Oblique hops on board for the first time

Then my personal favourite: XPA - A polytones station which sends a 4 minute or so transmission, which is basically great to listen to, if you're a dork like me. It's rather musical.

Evil sounding S06, is also a first timer - a Russian Language numbers station

All that is interspersed with the VoR theme music, Brother Stair, Wilmoth Houdini, Radio Japan and various other stuff

Bleh

I'm a sound editing primitive, so apologies in advance. Much use of open mics, and some kind of world record in transcoding, added to the already charmingly fuzzy shortwave signals... hifi this aint.
Old 04.23.2009, 03:02 PM   #47
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Excellent!!!

What are you using to pick up these tremendous finds? An expensive tabletop nightmare? Antenna the size of Chile?
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 03:44 PM   #48
ithinkimissyou
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Excellent!!!

What are you using to pick up these tremendous finds? An expensive tabletop nightmare? Antenna the size of Chile?

Cheers for listening

I'm actually just using a small wideband scanner, which everybody curses when it comes to shortwave - but I've had a lot of luck with it. When it's all you have - you tend to work towards getting the most out of it.

There are a few nice models out there that would do a better job than what I have and are a *lot* cheaper:

The Degen De 1103 & its more expensive cousin the Grundig G5 - are really quite small and very effective SW sets from everything I've read. Check out the Degen on eBay - they're really nicely priced, and I'm having trouble stopping myself getting one

The Redsun RP2100 is bigger, with a nice chunky speaker and it's worth a look too, but it has no Single Sideband option which is a no no if you're interested in the odd stuff.

As regards the antenna - all of this has been picked up on simple longwires, but yes they are the length of Chile's coastline

One of the wires is around 14m long and I've had a lot of luck with it.

I've got another one for when I'm in the sticks, which is about 40M long and excellent.

Simple speaker wire does the job.

--

Also if anyone wants to sample any of this for anything - go right ahead, you don't need permission from me as I've just borrowed it from Russian/Cuban/Polish/American/God knows what else military/diplomatic/intelligence agency anyways (no I wont sue you, unlike irdial disks and wilco)

In the last few days I've managed to pick up Cherry Ripe - the Lincolnshire Poachers (RIP) sister station. The transmitter is located in Guam - the other side of the planet, so reception is pretty poor but I'll stick it on my next dealy.
Old 04.23.2009, 04:47 PM   #49
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks so much for this. I can't get enough of these sorts of things. Which is funny, I don't really like found sound unless it's SW surfing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 06:27 PM   #50
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimissyou
Warning: 16 minutes of shortwave

http://www.yousendit.com/download/dV...T01laFJMWEE9PQ

Recorded over the last month or so:

V2a Attencion! from Cuba

With Mossad station ULX being jammed (presumably by Iran)

More from that quirky unpredictable X06 Selcall system used by the Russians

E06 the English Man puts in an appearance again

The US-GHFS gets in on the act with a coded message from Andrews AFB

A Polish station called Oblique hops on board for the first time

Then my personal favourite: XPA - A polytones station which sends a 4 minute or so transmission, which is basically great to listen to, if you're a dork like me. It's rather musical.

Evil sounding S06, is also a first timer - a Russian Language numbers station

All that is interspersed with the VoR theme music, Brother Stair, Wilmoth Houdini, Radio Japan and various other stuff

Bleh

I'm a sound editing primitive, so apologies in advance. Much use of open mics, and some kind of world record in transcoding, added to the already charmingly fuzzy shortwave signals... hifi this aint.

Many thanks for this.

Old 04.23.2009, 09:22 PM   #51
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Cool. I've always wondered what weird stuff might be shooting all around us at any given moment. I listened to/downloaded some stuff from archive.org and I'm thinking very seriously of including shortwave radio samples in all of the songs on he album I am going to make.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 09:56 PM   #52
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I used some shortwave samples in one of my songs. Didn't stumble upon anything interesting, just a computer voice that gives updates on air traffic control. Also some weird hungarian song.
Old 04.23.2009, 10:20 PM   #53
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
I sampled some short wave a while back in one of the songs on my myspace (the one that's "untitled"), but it was just some background noise with no actual transmissions.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2009, 10:55 PM   #54
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
In Sydney, they scramble ambulance/police/fire transmissions so that the public cannot hear them. I remember just a few years ago when I was able to pick up these signals on a crappy toy walkie-talkie.
Old 04.24.2009, 10:05 AM   #55
ithinkimissyou
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
I used some shortwave samples in one of my songs. Didn't stumble upon anything interesting, just a computer voice that gives updates on air traffic control. Also some weird hungarian song.

So you've got a SW radio?

Check out the Cherry Ripe numbers station, it even has its own wiki entry:

Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Ripe_(numbers_station)

The transmitter is located in Guam, some say Australia - so you should be able to pick it up. One thing though is that it broadcasts in Upper Side Band, so your radio will need that to pick it up in a readable form.

Thanks for taking an interest in the clips everyone, I can't imagine another forum where this would get such a response

Also, I take no responsibility for this:

Quote:

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has dismissed the head of the country's powerful GRU military intelligence service, the Kremlin has said.
Mr Medvedev signed a decree on Friday replacing Gen Valentin Korabelnikov with Gen Alexander Shlyakhturov. Officials gave no reason for the move.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8016371.stm

:P
Old 04.24.2009, 11:27 AM   #56
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
after listening to the entire thing last night, I definitely need MORE.

is it wrong that it makes feel slightly paranoid?
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2009, 01:02 PM   #57
ithinkimissyou
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

The paranoia is part of the attraction

Anyway, here's an extract from a novel by John Le Carre - which played a big part in starting my interest in Number Stations and how spies got their messages.

Quote:
Three minutes. I always like to cut it fine. Pym wiped his face clean and from an inside pocket drew his faithful copy of Grimmelshausen's Simplicissimus, bound in worn brown buckram and much travelled. He laid it ready on the desk beside a pad of paper and a pencil, crossed the room and knelt down in front of dear old Winston's wireless, spinning the bakelite tuning dial until he had the wavelength.

Volume down. Switch on. Wait. A man and a woman discussing in Czech the economics of a fruit cooperative. Discussion fades in midsentence. Time signal announces evening news. Stand by. Pym is calm. Operational calm.

But he is also a little bit transported. There is a serenity here that is not quite of this world, a hint of mystical affinity in his youthful loving smile that says, 'Hullo there' to someone not quite of this earth. Of all those who have known him, other than this extra-terrestrial stranger, perhaps only Miss Dubber has seen the same expression.

Item one, harangue against American imperialists following breakdown of latest round of arms talks. Sound of page turning, signal for get ready. Noted. You are going to talk to me. I am thankful. I appreciate this gesture. Item two coming up. Presenter introduces college professor from Brno. Good evening, Professor, and how is the Czech Secret Service this evening? The professor speaks, a passage for translation. First sentence: The talks have ended in deadlock. Ignore. In another bid. Write it down. Slowly. Don't rush. Patience again while we wait for the first numeral. Here it is. A fifty-five-year-old welder from Plzen. He switched off the wireless and, pad in hand, returned to his desk, eyes straight ahead of him. Opening his Grimmelshausen at page fifty-five he found five lines down without even counting and on a fresh sheet of paper wrote out the first ten letters of that line, then converted them to numerals according to their positions in the alphabet. Subtract without carrying. Don't reason, do it. He was adding again, still not carrying. He was converting numbers into letters. Don't reason. NEV...VER...RMI...IND...DEW... There's nothing here. It's gobbledegook. Tune in again at ten and take a fresh reading. He was smiling. He was smiling like a saint when the agony is over. The tears were starting to his eyes. Let them. He was standing, holding the page in both hands above his head. He was weeping. He was laughing. He could scarcely read what he had written.

NEVER MIND, E. WEBER LOVE YOU ALWAYS. POPPY.

'You cheeky sod,' he whispered aloud, punching away more tears. 'Oh Poppy. Oh my.'

From, "A Perfect Spy".
Old 04.24.2009, 07:05 PM   #58
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Many thanks for this.

Hey there Hipster, where ya been?
Old 04.24.2009, 07:15 PM   #59
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimissyou

The Degen De 1103 & its more expensive cousin the Grundig G5 - are really quite small and very effective SW sets from everything I've read. Check out the Degen on eBay - they're really nicely priced, and I'm having trouble stopping myself getting one

I have had the poorest luck with any kind of Degen model, but I love Eton. What gives?

I've been looking at the new Sony models over at Universal Radio. I want a new, performance driven model, but at a more reasonable price. I just don't know what to do.
Old 04.25.2009, 10:00 PM   #60
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

pa3ranoid ab6out wh5at? The im3aginary numbe9rs?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth