Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I just listened to the Arctic Monkeys
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.22.2006, 08:29 AM   #21
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
This band sucks balls seriously... my brother i a fan of every type of music coming from England... blur,gorrilaz,artic monkeys,franz ferdinand he likes 'em all and it's turning me crazy

arctic monkeysverrated
Old 03.22.2006, 08:31 AM   #22
Signpost
stalker

Signpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's assesSignpost kicks all y'all's asses
IMo they're just another average indie-rock band which will be forgooten after a few years.
Old 03.22.2006, 08:47 AM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
To be fair to the Monkeys (who, admittedly, make me want to swallow bleach) it isn't a contrived media circus like a lot of NME faves - the monkeys got their fame on the back of myspace, they were picked up because theirs was one of the most popular downloads. This doesn't stop the music being arse; it does mean that, more worryingly, the people who use myspace have truly dire taste (hence all the emo).
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 08:57 AM   #24
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
To be fair to the Monkeys (who, admittedly, make me want to swallow bleach) it isn't a contrived media circus like a lot of NME faves - the monkeys got their fame on the back of myspace, they were picked up because theirs was one of the most popular downloads.

And that is exactly why people have myspace sites - really, we should be a little pleased, because it shows that cheap advertising can have a huge effect.

Quote:
Originally posted by Glice
This doesn't stop the music being arse; it does mean that, more worryingly, the people who use myspace have truly dire taste (hence all the emo).

Absolutely. But it's not as bad as the Foo Fighters though. At least the Arctics have tunes, even if they aren't so hot.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 09:41 AM   #25
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
lord knows why anyone with an ounce of common sense or slightest sense of taste would enjoy this bands music is a total misnomer to me.

the only people who like this are tv producers looking for overdub music to particularly dull sequences and groups of drunken students/work night out types who hug eachother and dance around in a circle with their ties wrapped around their heads like rambo while someone pukes on their shoes and they all laugh like gibbons.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:06 AM   #26
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pryor on Fire
They are very easy to hate, but I like it, it's not the fifth best record from the uk. but I think it's solid, so maybe I'm a sucker for contrived dumb shit rock? or maybe it's just a lot easier to renounce something, than to say you like something you know you'll get shit for? fuckindiecred.

No - you're a sucker haha

One of the simplest (albeit most generalized) gauges of a band is if, upon hearing them, you can actually differentiate them from other bands due entirely to their sound. The Arctic Monkeys (along with such bands as the Hives, Jet, the Killers, the Bravery, I would go on but the list is fuckin endless) are aesthetically pleasing clones that, as Jt and jonboy said, cater to this mutant student species whose desire to be carelessly hip leaves them lying awake at night, plotting their next haircut.

I'm even irritating myself now, sounding all anti-hip.

I can't get over the "summat" in that song. I just can't. Even their NAME makes my skin crawl. How clever and quirky!

What ever happened to bands like Van Halen, Guns 'n Roses, hell, even Pantera? I can't say I'm a fan of mullets but that's pure, unadulterated, rock 'n fuckin roll. It wasn't contrived - it was dressed up glam rock, but it knew it, and embraced it. It was pure in its self-indulgence, comfortable in its own skin. If new bands TRULY wanted to push the boundaries, they'd revive genres like that, not ones that are already pre-stamped with approval.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:26 AM   #27
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Isoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to behold
Agreed. I hate these dudes. I have to listen to that fucking band all the time at work. This girl puts in that CD and cranks it.
ICK ICK ISH.
Old 03.22.2006, 10:35 AM   #28
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
ha ha ha.Spot on jonboy!You only have to go to the garage in london when they have a club night and despair at all those kids(and the not so young).I also wonder about this sort of nme endorsed bands sometimes.If the artic monkeys dont like the media so much,then,why appear at award ceremonies with a frown and giving interviews(not a lot in their case but still...)to the very people you say you are afraid off?
porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 10:45 AM   #29
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
to be perfectly honest the music i make is in some small way a direct response to bands like this. there are other, bigger reasons obviously, but in some way i want to destroy my amp in a noise filled climax as a rebelion against this shit.

i would never really totaly destroy my amp btw i havnt got any money to get a new one. now thats rock n roll.
Old 03.22.2006, 10:52 AM   #30
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Dont despair too much jonboy.With this sort of band,you see,its almost like they come with a sell by date(and sometimes a best before)attached to them.
Old 03.22.2006, 10:56 AM   #31
TheyLiveByNight
little trouble girl

TheyLiveByNight has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Yeah, it totally staggers me that such an average band have been lauded to the extent that they have. It seems to be on the basis of one song, with its 'quirky' video all photoshopped up to look like they're performing on The Tube circa 1983. They seem to suffer from the same affliction that most of these 'NME bands' suffer, which is mistaking aping innovative bands from the past for being innovative themselves.
TheyLiveByNight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2006, 11:03 AM   #32
jon boy
invito al cielo

if you want bands that ape others and scene steal to unbelievable ends then move to leeds. you will be spoilt for choice.
Old 03.22.2006, 11:09 AM   #33
porkmarras
invito al cielo

the worrying thing is that its happing a bit everywhere in the uk.But thats just a mainstream 'underground' thing.There are still loads of good bands around
Old 03.22.2006, 11:18 AM   #34
jon boy
invito al cielo

what also made me laugh was that they have been voted for the nations (britain) greatest lyrics competition along with christina aguelira and oasis.

i know that they will never have the lyrics i like on that, or lyrics dont have to be old to be good, but christ man!
Old 03.22.2006, 09:25 PM   #35
poiu
empty page

poiu has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt
ARRRGH, if more of you boarders were in England (Priest excepted) you'd UNDERSTAND the hatred.

They're EVERYWHERE. England's going through this whole faux-indie obsession nowadays. And by faux-indie I mean kids playing pop rock dressed in polo shirts. They're every supposedly trendy 19 year-old girl's dream. And everyone else's worst nightmare. Music for bars. Music for airports. Music for adverts. I honestly wouldn't take issue for them, save for idiots lavishing them with FAR TOO MUCH PRAISE. Their amateurish lyrics seem almost entirely tailored to appease the student demographic.

...I could go and re-write that rant to make it coherent or something. But whatever. Suffice to say, they're shit, but everyone thinks they're shit-hot.

I agree
poiu is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth