Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.17.2017, 02:34 PM   #181
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hahah, never seen him without his shades on if that is him!
Old 02.17.2017, 09:10 PM   #182
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am forcing myself as a favor to Sev who is so forceful in his love for Kanye that I feel the need to re-examine my take on his music. I have forced myself to watch and listen and read a ton of shit that I ended up loving. pop psych ain't real you know. Value is recognized no matter the initial impetus or mindstate approaching it.

I just find his beats tame, bland, and his raps irrelevant so far. let me get to the more "mature" works....

Go listen to "So Appalled" and tell me it's tame.

Actually, don't debase yourself publicly. If you think it's tame tell no one. This is me looking out for you.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2017, 09:12 PM   #183
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Is this Future? I can't tell:

I think that's ... yeah. Future. Gotta be. Who cares though.
Old 02.19.2017, 09:15 AM   #184
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
New interview with Drake:

http://pitchfork.com/news/71734-drak...new-interview/

Basically admitted Views wasn't a good album. Said he initially wanted it to be a pop album but added some rap songs just to satisfy the hip hop head listeners.

Admitted the beef with Meek Mill was embarrassing.

Also said some real shit about the Grammys.. Hotline Bling is NOT a rap song.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2017, 09:21 AM   #185
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Drake is not a real artist, he's a POP artist. I don't respect those who compromise their artistry to make their fanbase comfortable.
Old 02.19.2017, 09:24 AM   #186
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Go listen to "So Appalled" and tell me it's tame.

Actually, don't debase yourself publicly. If you think it's tame tell no one. This is me looking out for you.
Or "I'm in It".. or "On Sight".. or "Freestyle 4".. or "Famous".. or "Hell of a Life".. or or..
Old 02.19.2017, 11:39 AM   #187
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Or "I'm in It".. or "On Sight".. or "Freestyle 4".. or "Famous".. or "Hell of a Life".. or or..

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to louder again.

True enough. The "or... ors" just don't end. If you're looking for something light and airy and musical, Kanye has plenty of stuff to choose from. If you want something that "goes hard," is the antithesis of "tame," then... shit, the list would just go on and on and on and on. Better to just point to one undeniably vicious song, which is why I said "So Appalled."

Nothing that dope is anywhere in any modern rapper's future. Certainly not in Future's future. Gaaaah!
Old 02.19.2017, 11:44 AM   #188
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
New interview with Drake:

http://pitchfork.com/news/71734-drak...new-interview/

Basically admitted Views wasn't a good album. Said he initially wanted it to be a pop album but added some rap songs just to satisfy the hip hop head listeners.

Admitted the beef with Meek Mill was embarrassing.

Also said some real shit about the Grammys.. Hotline Bling is NOT a rap song.

I read the poorly edited voice-dictated transcript... he was humble bragging the entire time. Said he's one of the best "at writing music." That writing great lyrics is "what (he's) known for."

Was kind of a backhanded dick about a lot of things. Like, "yeah I'm he biggest thing in the world so I don't need to defend myself against Meek... but I'll tell you all about how and why I'm the biggest and best and basically defend myself against Meek in this passive aggressive way, like a bitch."

I really can't even believe that I ever said a positive thing about him at this point. What a babbling incoherent narcissist. Funnily enough, I wouldn't give a fuck about his babbling incoherent narcissism if his music was anywhere near as good as he thinks it is.

Pitchfork recently referred to him as post-peak. That's apt. And his peak was pretty Fucking low.
Old 02.19.2017, 12:05 PM   #189
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
I read the poorly edited voice-dictated transcript... he was humble bragging the entire time. Said he's one of the best "at writing music." That writing great lyrics is "what (he's) known for."

Was kind of a backhanded dick about a lot of things. Like, "yeah I'm he biggest thing in the world so I don't need to defend myself against Meek... but I'll tell you all about how and why I'm the biggest and best and basically defend myself against Meek in this passive aggressive way, like a bitch."

I really can't even believe that I ever said a positive thing about him at this point. What a babbling incoherent narcissist. Funnily enough, I wouldn't give a fuck about his babbling incoherent narcissism if his music was anywhere near as good as he thinks it is.

Pitchfork recently referred to him as post-peak. That's apt. And his peak was pretty Fucking low.
Drake is a narcissist and a dull person. MJ was the biggest artist in the world but he brought a message and a vibe that are actually timeless. Drake brings nothing. I hate his creative mind. He knows nothing about what's dope and what isn't. How could anyone look at that VIEWS cover and be like "yeah that's dope. That's the one. I'll use it" is beyond my comprehension. Moreover I hate his whole movement in videos and his goofy facial expressions. He comes across as contrived and fake to me.
Old 02.19.2017, 06:59 PM   #190
Severian
invito al cielo

The low end on the new Future track "Good Dope" is pretty bangin'
Old 02.19.2017, 08:51 PM   #191
louder
invito al cielo

By the way, Drake is also such a dishonest guy. He said that he didn't steal the flow from XXXTENTACTION on the new song he previewed live when it's pretty obvious that he did. People from XXXTENTACTION's camp even told him that Drake knows about him and likes what he's doing before too.

Edit: For those who are not familiar with what I was referring to.. here's that XXXTENTACTION guy calling Drake a pussy:
http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/xxxtenta...ews.29100.html
Old 02.19.2017, 10:54 PM   #192
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Drake is a narcissist and a dull person. MJ was the biggest artist in the world but he brought a message and a vibe that are actually timeless. Drake brings nothing. I hate his creative mind. He knows nothing about what's dope and what isn't. How could anyone look at that VIEWS cover and be like "yeah that's dope. That's the one. I'll use it" is beyond my comprehension. Moreover I hate his whole movement in videos and his goofy facial expressions. He comes across as contrived and fake to me.

Agreed except the Beatles were and are the bitter artist(s) in the history of the world. At least in terms of music.
Old 02.20.2017, 04:08 AM   #193
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Agreed except the Beatles were and are the bitter artist(s) in the history of the world. At least in terms of music.
Oh what I meant to say was that MJ was the biggest one point at a time. Not overall. I brought him up because Drake cited him as an inspiration in that interview.
Old 02.20.2017, 08:34 AM   #194
louder
invito al cielo

Kendrick and Kanye manage to make albums that feel like movies. They are dramatic, they are funny, they are sad and heart warming at the same time. Personally I don't care if the rapper raps throughout the whole song or whatever like Rob said, I just like my rap to sound good.

One of Future's strengths is his bars, he has some really great one liners.. I love Future, but let's not forget that he also has a tendency to be repetitive and recycle everything he does, from his beat selection, to his flow, to his content, etc.

His music is rushed and it shows, while Kendrick and Kanye are perfectionists.
Old 02.20.2017, 08:39 AM   #195
louder
invito al cielo

"Honest" is different than the average Future project, in the sense that it's more diverse and focused. I think that's the one effort he made that's closer to what Kendrick and Kanye do.

By the way, I listened to his new album again and it's good. Although it really brings absolutely nothing new to the table. If you already liked Future, as in the Monster/.../DS2/EVOL Future, chances are you're gonna like it. If not, it won't change your opinion.
Old 02.20.2017, 08:49 AM   #196
louder
invito al cielo

Kendrick is the last 'big' artist rapping the "hippy hoppy" way and doing it right. Eminem sucks. J. Cole is mediocre. Actually Kendrick is so good at rapping that sometimes his skills make me wonder if he's even human. But when people talk about him they're more focused on his artistry, musicality, messaging. That's how it was with MJ too. He was such a great technical singer, but that was marginal compared to everything else that was so revolutionary about him.
Old 02.20.2017, 08:56 AM   #197
louder
invito al cielo

Also Kendrick's success (I guess he's considered a 'star') is the reason why I still have faith in today's culture. He was never that cool or Hollywood type attractive and his image wasn't the most marketable. He clearly blew up solely off the strength of his talent and music.
Old 02.20.2017, 09:36 AM   #198
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am a hardcore punk from the way back. most of what I love is "rushed" and not "perfected" I find that too much production destroys the vibe. music is vibe first and foremost. How does it make you feel, and do you want to move your body. everything else is gravy.
Old 02.20.2017, 10:58 AM   #199
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am a hardcore punk from the way back. most of what I love is "rushed" and not "perfected" I find that too much production destroys the vibe. music is vibe first and foremost. How does it make you feel, and do you want to move your body. everything else is gravy.

Rob, I swear it's like we're opposites. Like we have blue and red polar opposite brains.

I agree that it's how music makes you feel that's important. I've never been impressed with plain old technical prowess of any kind, unless it's warped and used to create something that sounds like a counter-reaction to the traditional.

But all the reasons you're giving for Kanye sucking and Future being awesome sound like pig Latin to me. Like, I'd list many of the exact same reasons to argue the absolute opposite point.

I put on Kanye, and I want to move my body. I do, actually, and it looks ridiculous and I love it. What his music does more than anything else is that it gets right to my gut, makes me feel something powerful, whether it's through the lyrics or the beat or the samples or some combination of these things.

Future's music, even when I like it, has no such effect on me, and it that's what makes it forgettable and ultimately disposable. I can see how it would work in a club. Or in a smoke filled car. But it that is it. It's not music I would put on to when I'm feeling happy, not music I would out on when I'm feeling sad, not music I'd put in when I'm angry. There's almost no feeling to it whatsoever, as far as I'm concerned.

There are no "back of he neck tingle" moments. None. Kanye LIVES on these moments. You can tell that's what he aims for. Music, samples, beats, lyrics that make a mark in your mind and etch themselves onto your soul.

Sounds kind of like you're comparing Future's monotonous music to punk. First of all, I don't see it. Monotone punk just serves to rile up. I had my time with hardcore too, trust me, but once I grew out of the anger-anger-anger phase, I started seeking out more. Went from Minor Threat to Fugazi, so to speak... and Sonic Youth, etc. When I wanted to hear pulse-pounding chaos, those bands could provide plenty of that, but they also were exploring entirely different dimensions of groove and different permutations of the super simple "angry/heavy" shit."Titanium Exposé" has all the markings of a frigid hardcore song until it spreads out into something more versatile and ultimately more timeless.

Also, Future's style has much less in common with punk than a lot of Kanye's stuff. If you're looking for bang-bang shit, the hip-hop equivalent of punk is Yeezus. Not fucking Future. And why the hell aren't you gushing all over Kendrick's more aggressive tracks? If you want punk in hip-hop form, look no further than "The Blacker the Berry," or "U."

Future loves to talk about (but apparently not actually use) drugs that make you numb. His music has the same flavor. It has a numbness to it, which isn't an inherently bad thing, but you're sitting here talking about how the "feeling" is what's important, and Future's great because he gives you that, Kanye sucks because he doesn't. What the fuck man? It's like you're accidentally typing Future instead of some other name over and over again. ???
Old 02.20.2017, 11:00 AM   #200
Severian
invito al cielo

Like.... your purported reasons for feeling that way you do basically make no sense whatsoever. Seriously. Do you also think ham sandwiches are sharp and nails are soft? Do you laugh at Schindler's List and cry during Kids in the Hall?
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth