Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston Moore - Detonation [2014]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2014, 10:47 PM   #61
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I think last night on earth is definitely Lee's best solo record and possible better than most of his Sonic Youth material, I find almost ALL of Thurston's solo shit from any era boring..
you know what, I think demolished thoughts is fucking stunning. I've always enjoyed the record but it seemed to fall by the wayside a bit given what happened back then. in comparing it to CLM, it actually feels like thurston being as opposed to mere youthful posturing. beck's production is understated but nonetheless intricate, the accompaniment as has been noted makes perfect sense, with the violin drones atoning for dissonant guitars etc., and thurston's playing is more intricate than ever. his songwriting was honestly insane here, some of the best it has ever been. I mean for christ's sake, space is a perfect piece of music, don't give a fuck what anyone says. not the kind of record you'd really want him to make again, but proves that he can take what he brings/brought to sy and distill it into something just as potent. first time a song-based thurston record has matched a late-period sonic record on a song-for-song basis. trees was good but only intermittently did the songs define themselves as something more than a piece written while taking a dump. psychic hearts can be pretty dry if you're not in the mood, largely because it's not dry at all, but elegy for all the dead rock stars is easily one of the best songs in the sonic canon for sure. his solo noise recordings and collaborations have always been interesting at worst as well.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2014, 05:23 AM   #62
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
you know what, I think demolished thoughts is fucking stunning. I've always enjoyed the record but it seemed to fall by the wayside a bit given what happened back then. in comparing it to CLM, it actually feels like thurston being as opposed to mere youthful posturing. beck's production is understated but nonetheless intricate, the accompaniment as has been noted makes perfect sense, with the violin drones atoning for dissonant guitars etc., and thurston's playing is more intricate than ever. his songwriting was honestly insane here, some of the best it has ever been. I mean for christ's sake, space is a perfect piece of music, don't give a fuck what anyone says. not the kind of record you'd really want him to make again, but proves that he can take what he brings/brought to sy and distill it into something just as potent. first time a song-based thurston record has matched a late-period sonic record on a song-for-song basis. trees was good but only intermittently did the songs define themselves as something more than a piece written while taking a dump. psychic hearts can be pretty dry if you're not in the mood, largely because it's not dry at all, but elegy for all the dead rock stars is easily one of the best songs in the sonic canon for sure. his solo noise recordings and collaborations have always been interesting at worst as well.

Agreed, 100%.

I haven't burned myself out on Demolished Thoughts yet...while I seldom find myself listening to Psychic <3's. and basically never Trees. It's a really dark, "hauntingly beautiful" (a description I've heard far too often for far too many things, but it works here), record. Love it.
Old 05.02.2014, 01:37 PM   #63
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
here is a show on March 29, 2014 from this recent tour.. its pretty good actually (but hey, steve's there so you KNOW its certified yo )

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2014, 02:30 PM   #64
loop cat
little trouble girl

loop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
So even though we've all mutually agreed that none of us listen to Psychic Hearts with any kind of frequency I'm still the bad guy for just admitting that its kind of boring? Meh to you all, much like 2011 Lebron James, I'm really starting to embrace being the SYG Villain and taking all the troll hitz

actually i listen with frequency, cause i'm cover this album in the guitar. i love the vibe of the tuning - cgdgbb.
but yes i notice you're kind of SYG Villain...good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to everywhere and listen punk rock
loop cat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2014, 02:32 PM   #65
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to loop cat again.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2014, 04:39 AM   #66
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
What they did with Germs Burn is pretty interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dcKAaHHsms

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2014, 04:46 AM   #67
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Should we just merge this thread with "The Best Day"? A lot of this is being rehashed since that was the more current title.

I get the impression Thurston wishes he'd been less mysterious with the Chelsea Light Moving brand but hasn't necessarily dissolved the group. I just don't think any of them live in London, so he started this new group and used his name. I also think Steve was only there at the end of March for the recording session they mentioned and subsequent tour and isn't really part of the new group per se.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2014, 04:09 AM   #68
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Should we just merge this thread with "The Best Day"? A lot of this is being rehashed since that was the more current title.

Yeah, I think you should merge these two, if you're sure that there won't be separated albums.

Old 05.06.2014, 01:20 AM   #69
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
Steve now plays with Thurston, James Sedwards and some bass player???

I think "Deb" the bass player could be Debbie Googe from MBV...

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2014, 03:49 AM   #70
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
debbie googe? no fucking way! that would be so insane. she doesn't really get to showcase it in mbv because she has no hand in the production of records whatsoever (to my knowledge hasn't since isn't anything at least) but she really is an insane bass player, veryyyy powerful.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2014, 06:37 AM   #71
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know for sure, just guessing...

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2014, 04:51 PM   #72
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
I think "Deb" the bass player could be Debbie Googe from MBV...

I think that's wishful thinking...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2014, 04:54 PM   #73
loop cat
little trouble girl

loop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's assesloop cat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

I get the impression Thurston wishes he'd been less mysterious with the Chelsea Light Moving brand but hasn't necessarily dissolved the group. I just don't think any of them live in London, so he started this new group and used his name. I also think Steve was only there at the end of March for the recording session they mentioned and subsequent tour and isn't really part of the new group per se.

those groups it's just for two or three albuns, his eternal band will be always sonic youth...with more focus on his solo career, he's kind of jonh fahey of the rock & noise
loop cat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2014, 08:30 PM   #74
chocolate_ladyland
children of satan

chocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asseschocolate_ladyland kicks all y'all's asses
Did anyone ever check out Thurston's black metal record? How was it?

chocolate_ladyland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2014, 04:09 AM   #75
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

Ok, Thurston gave an interview for T-Mobile music in Poland. He mentioned that the record "The Best Day" is being finished right now and was recorded with James Sedwards, Steve Shelley and Debbie Goog from MBV. It will come under his name and it's a follow-up to Demolished Thoughts. He haven't mentioned any info about CLM material and stuff like that, so maybe (I hope so now) it will be filled with new songs only.

Old 05.10.2014, 04:11 AM   #76
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Good guess Stu!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth