Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swirlies Play Reunion Show in Boston 2/28
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.02.2009, 02:51 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
I can't claim i was a fan when the band first started (I was six) but I did get into and love them soon after the new word shoegaze passed through my ears. I was already resigned to the fact that I'd never see them live but was pleasantly surprised to see their myspace had announced dates 2/26 philadelphia, 2/27 New York and 2/28 cambridge(mid east). I wisely bought tickets early cause the show was sold out that night. Anyone else go to this show or any of the others?

Another new upcoming shoegaze band called Bullpen catcher opened who unfortunately didn't have a cd out. The swirlies played fantastically on saturday with mostly the original members. The main guitarist Damon Tutunjianhad a huge effects board that he put to good use. I loved the fact that some songs he would play the whole way through using the whammy bar to strum or play notes. This caused him to have to switch guitars every other song while a friend retuned them on the side of the stage, not sure if it was in standard tuning, probably not.They played a bunch of songs off their classic Blonder Tongue Audio Baton which sounded even better live.The night ended with an imprompt jam of flipper's sex bomb where the mike got handed to one enthusiastic crowd goer who put his all into it.Overall a great show, I want a new record by them! Not sure if anythng they played tonight was new.

But here comes the best part......I get the feeling that many fans of the swirlies on here might not have heard about the show in time to go see them. Well i got your back because i recorded the show (audio) and will upload it to the board in the next day.In the meantime you can download all of their albums here http://evil-office.net/swirlies/discography/index.html
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2009, 05:30 PM   #2
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
saw them on friday in nyc mercury lounge. they didn't get to the stage until 12am. kinda sucked going through decent opening acts (takka takka were alright though)

once they got on stage, it was all worth it. i'm glad damon played one light flashing and they really put on a good show seeing how they only had 2 days to practice. i loved the vibe the band had and damon is such a cool, chill and confident guy. they were fucking loud as fuck too. even louder than the dino jr. show i saw last year

the only downside was that i thought puella (the 2nd chick singer) wasn't into the show as much. and i couldn't hear her at all!

overall good show. i'm really fucking glad i saw them because i have no idea when they'll play again

ALSO, it was hilarious seeing damon fumbling around through the songs. his guitar was breaking down too
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2009, 12:24 AM   #3
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
I was at the Mercury too this past Friday. I guess i was a bit disappointed. They didn't seem prepared at all. I heard they didn't have much time to practice for the gig? But anyways, i know every nook and cranny of their tunes so i was dying to hear something new. Still, they had some awesome moments. Yeah, very LOUD at times. It really speaks to their stature as one of the more creative bands to be able to have no new product for approx 14 years and still pack the place.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2009, 12:27 AM   #4
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricechex
It really speaks to their stature as one of the more creative bands to be able to have no new product for approx 14 years and still pack the place.

i know, tell me about it. every single person i know i told them i was seeing the swirlies and they didn't know who they were. and all of a sudden i'm packed in the front row, fucking hot and seeing all of these damn people surrounding me
Old 03.03.2009, 12:32 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
14 years? Cats of The Wild Volume 2 was 200...3? I think.

Anyway, excellent posts, great band of course.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2009, 12:37 AM   #6
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
i know, tell me about it. every single person i know i told them i was seeing the swirlies and they didn't know who they were. and all of a sudden i'm packed in the front row, fucking hot and seeing all of these damn people surrounding me

Yeah, it was hard to move and really hot. I had to step out for air a couple times. I forgot how much of a noise band they really are, at least live. Damon's guitar was foundation crumbling. How they get those awesome vocal melodies in there is something else.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
So just curious.... Is there audio out there of any of these three shows?

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2009, 04:53 PM   #8
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Thats so funny you bring this up, I was just playing the swirlies today and was contemplating uploading the show i went to last february. I'll def get it up here this week.
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

Old 12.03.2009, 06:01 PM   #9
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

hey that'd be cool. i just wish they played wrong tube. i was pretty disappointed they didn't
Old 12.03.2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Thats so funny you bring this up, I was just playing the swirlies today and was contemplating uploading the show i went to last february. I'll def get it up here this week.

Awesome, we'd all really appreciate it.

~Jeremy~

Old 12.04.2009, 02:56 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
swirlies...finally a reunion i canofficially wet my pants to!
Old 12.08.2009, 12:44 PM   #12
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

Alright I finally got around to uploading the show. I couldn't find a site that would let me upload the whole folder so they're down below track by track. Enjoy and spread it around!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/19swmz

http://www.sendspace.com/file/74xefs

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9xk6a9

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1p2rs8

http://www.sendspace.com/file/45pjap

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6bv623

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hta2pq

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gvve0y

http://www.sendspace.com/file/th4acn

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mpfgq9

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hjukil

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ajx3rh

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kofznt
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

Old 12.08.2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Jeremy
100%

Thanks! Downloading now.

~Jeremy~

Old 12.10.2009, 03:33 PM   #14
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
excellent! Think they'd do another album? Be cool to see them get a bit more recognition.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth