Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Fender Signature Guitars
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2009, 07:04 PM   #21
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Customizing guitars is very expensive, and if I want a jazzmaster designed to sound like the guitars I want, I'll buy it. This is a name placement that actually makes sense musically and for the customers.
YOu're indie cred isn't helped by dissing it.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2009, 08:14 PM   #22
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I've always thought they deserved sig guitars, they motivated fools like me to go out at get a jazzmaster...it's just too bad that I think they both look ugly compared to all their other beauties they have had over the years.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 11:38 AM   #23
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Customizing guitars is very expensive, and if I want a jazzmaster designed to sound like the guitars I want, I'll buy it. This is a name placement that actually makes sense musically and for the customers.
YOu're indie cred isn't helped by dissing it.

If you can't understand why people think this is retarded, you're an idiot. I don't really have a problem with it and don't care either way, but you're fucking stupid if you don't get it.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2009, 05:03 AM   #24
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
If you can't understand why people think this is retarded, you're an idiot. I don't really have a problem with it and don't care either way, but you're fucking stupid if you don't get it.

hmmm you don't have a problem with it and don't care either way, yet you say he's fucking stupid for not getting your point.. hmm.

maybe you should have reviewed that one before posting it.

and if you don't get my point, then we know who the idiot is.

Edit: I'm realising more and more why I barely come around here anymore, there sure are way more assholes here than back when it all started.

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2009, 06:42 PM   #25
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
I always wanted a Jazzmaster, but of course the price has been skyrocketing since they got trendy. I think it's safe to say SY was a big reason for that.

I think these new sig models look amazing, first of all. The colors, the black headstocks, the little touchs..knobs et.
http://www.fender.com/sonicyouth/

Anyways, sig models never appealed to me too much, BUT this is one i am seriously considering. The Mascis was too obvious with the purple et. With these alot of people will have no idea what it is, as SY is still not a household name and the quality is there.

Torn on the models. On one hand i like Thurston's bc it has standard pu's and the color. But the Lee model is a little more interesting pu wise and is also a great color.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 12:58 AM   #26
Gerrystumbaugh
little trouble girl

Gerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's assesGerrystumbaugh kicks all y'all's asses
the J Mascis model from a year or 2 ago was apparently pretty awesome.

Gerrystumbaugh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 01:32 AM   #27
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
It looks heinous
Old 09.16.2009, 08:10 AM   #28
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
I have one and really love it

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 10:55 AM   #29
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
My friend was at a show and somebody (street team??) was passing out the sy guitar zines outside and I got one!

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 12:41 PM   #30
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
I can't believe CHOUT's back!!!
would you get one of these man?
I'm scratching my head about the whole idea... how's the zine?
Old 09.16.2009, 04:42 PM   #31
chris2159
little trouble girl

chris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrystumbaugh
the J Mascis model from a year or 2 ago was apparently pretty awesome.

Here is a video of it in action, its a good tune too!
http://pitchfork.com/tv/#/musicvideo...ime-fat-possum

Have seen Dinosaur Jr twice this year and J played a Jazzmaster but it was even better looking than this one and the sonic youth signiture ones. It was more like this

jazzmaster.jpg

but bigger and with black pick ups rather than the Telecaster Deluxe ones.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/User/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
chris2159 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.16.2009, 09:39 PM   #32
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
I can never play a Jazzmaster until they make one with a neck that has more than 21 frets.
Old 09.17.2009, 09:56 AM   #33
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
If I have a Fender Cyclone II (HH), oh, I'll glad..

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2009, 01:41 PM   #34
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
these are expensive in my opinion eventhough it does have supposedly the best hardware and electronics, in general i'm not fond of sig models and possible perception of emulating guitarists in that way... if i was more of a "professional" musician and made more money i could probably justify getting one of these, but for now my black '72 tele custom reissue (like the one keiji haino and ben chasney play) will continue to be my main guitar of choice... i have a mortgage and car payment so a $1400 guitar is not really a priority of mine especially right now i'm not in a band... its pretty obvious that these sig models are definetely geared for a specific type/group of people. i'm not against these, just indifferent...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2009, 10:02 PM   #35
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
i would like to have a look at the zine as well. it seems like these should be available to SY fans who are also guitar players/enthusiasts without purchasing the sig. guitars. i wanted to comment on this in the original thread, but never got around to it.

I am glad Fender recognized them, its cool that it happened, but I couldn't justify buying one. It seems like non-affluent players into the spirit of SY would be more into searching out and finding their own styles, innovations, etc...

Coincidentally, there was a recent reissue of vintage low-buget Harmony guitars like the ones SY used in the very beginning. check 'em out: www.harmonyguitars.com
you could get one of their reissue-vintage "H15 Bobkats" (or a cheaper actual-vintage one from eBay) , carve a bunch of X's on it, replace the bridge with a shattered drumstick secured w/ ducktape, attack w/ a file, and have a replica of the "battle scarred harmony" from the sonicyouth.com gearography! BURNING SPEAR!

A few years ago I bought a cheap vintage Harmony "H19 Silhouette" (yet to be reissued) which was the top-of-the-line solid body model by this bottom of the barrel low-buget company from the 60's. Its a little closer to the Jazzmaster than the "Bobkat" model, has tunomatic style bridge and JM-like tremelo. I put nicer tuners on mine, and it looks like these Harmony reissues have them too. The tuners on the old ones were the weak link (and the wooden bridge on some of them like the bobkats). Its really fun and has vintage weirdo cool vibe. Mine has some dings here and there, but I elected not to thrash mine like the youth did theirs. Maybe i would if i could afford more guitars. My exhaustive study of the SY gearography page and T's Harmony definitely influenced my purchase. 60's harmonys are cool but in the 70's they were bought out by some big conglomerate and moved production to asia, supposedly quality went downhill, and style certainly did.

For those who feel that buying/building cheap low-budget and/or strange guitars is more their route (i remember people saying this on the old thread) here is a link to SUBWAY guitars in Berkley, CA, whose store I have not visited yet but is on my list of things to do. This cantakerous dude bought all the old part stock when the original Danelectro shut down, and has been building weird low-budget guitars according to his and his cuistomers whims and eccentricities for approximately a generation:
www.fatdawg.com

also for custom building and parts, there is www.warmoth.com
they have jazzmaster bodies/neck/pickgurads/etc...

cheers to all
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2009, 10:56 PM   #36
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

Yo dude, I totally agree. I actually just bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260476852837 weirdass guitar. This isn't really for people who want to follow in the footsteps of Sonic Youth, it's more for their aging fans who have no desire to do anything interesting. And I think that's just fine. But we should have a thread about customizing and weird guitars because I think it's totally awesome and I'm just getting into it.
Old 09.21.2009, 11:35 PM   #37
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

Also, I looked @ that Subway site and it's cool, but... what's with the constant masturbation references? It's really funny and out of place
Old 09.21.2009, 11:52 PM   #38
Killthosecops
empty page

Killthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's assesKillthosecops kicks all y'all's asses
I personally love the look of these guitars and I'm not really into signature guitars. I don't know what I like about it but I feel that it has a "signature" look that makes it unique, yet not that overly unique look that lots of signature guitars have.
Killthosecops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2009, 02:04 PM   #39
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, he does make a lot of masturbation jokes, which i could do without. i am willing to overlook that because of the overall feel and "philosophy" of the place, the sheer quantity of vintage, weirdo, & "urban renewall"-style custom guitars. some people love masturbation jokes, however. to each his own.
Old 09.22.2009, 02:48 PM   #40
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

p.s. i am not at all excited by the sig. model's colors, black headstock, etc... it would almost have been cooler if Fender had done an exact replica of the dings and scrapes on some of their original jazzmasters like they did for the Jeff Beck sig. model, or Rory Gallagher sig. model i think it was. those guitars were seriously beat up, and looked cool. but fender charges a boatload of money for such uber-detailed "aging" treatments, which would drive the price up by thousands. since i'm not going to get one anyway, it would be more fun to look at.

I have thought about trying to find a cheap "Drifter" LP-copy like the original SY monster and replicate their modifications/thrashings.

the J. Mascis JM is ridiculous and ugly, which seems to be his visual aesthetic for a lot of Dino Jr. releases too...
...though Kim looked kool playing one... ...maybe it's a girl thing...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth