Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Yr Musical Relationship with Yr Parents?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2009, 12:15 PM   #21
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

sonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
no! i love my momma and you should love yours whether she likes nirvana or not!

reasons i refuse to:
* she's an avid birdwatcher
* she allowed my dad to be a morris dancer and even sewed the bells on his friggin costume
* she made me eat vegetable sausages
* she once grounded me for a year cos i ran away and tried to sleep under a bridge
* she called me a selfish bitch

having said that now yes i do love her but thats cos she lives in another country and i dont have to speak to her anymore, yay!
sonicpixie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 09:08 AM   #22
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses

Since my mom died I have been OBSESSED with her music. I detested the shit she listened to but I find more in it now than I did before. She was a Bluegrass musician in her life. Songwriter, guitarist, singer...she encouraged and nurtured my love for music from the time I was born. I like the old blue grass mountain music she would play but I hated that christian pop shit. Not cause it was christian, cause it made a mockery of christianity. In my eyes these people only played christian music becauz they had a frsure audience.

She was super tolerant of my tastes. She would kiddingly pick at me sometimes, but always understood my individuality.

She recorded a cassette tape at a studio back when I was about 12 I guess. Last year I dropped $200 to have it restored and transferred into digital form. I made this really great cover for it and my sister printed them up for me so we could give em to our other brothers and sister for christmas.

I can't really remember what dad listened to then besides my mom. Now he likes really bad jazz which I find odd for a former red neck. He did pass me along my Led Zep knowledge and Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks. He played violin in school, but gave it up to be a mechanic. He was pretty tolerant of my musical obnoxiousness. I don't recall him ever trashing what I liked....he sure as hell did'nt understand it though.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 09:41 AM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpixie
* she allowed my dad to be a morris dancer and even sewed the bells on his friggin costume

This sounds pretty cool to me. You must be quite young. I've been out drinking with some Morris men, and they're generally incredibly hardy drinkers. I'm also a bit concerned that you're presumably English (Morris is definitely an English phenomenon) but are using the word 'frigging', which is clearly a sign of spending too much time with American culture.

Our Muh tends to listen to country or Irish, both of which I like. Our Da tends to listen to a lot of AM rock type stuff, some of which I like (Carpenters, Meatloaf) some of which leaves me very cold (Beatles, Colplay). Generally I appreciate that both of them have had much less time to care about the latest hip underground band putting out limited editions on purple 7", what with having raised a family and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 10:30 AM   #24
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
reasons i refuse to:
* she made me eat vegetable sausages
* she once grounded me for a year cos i ran away and tried to sleep under a bridge
* she called me a selfish bitch

having said that now yes i do love her but thats cos she lives in another country and i dont have to speak to her anymore, yay!

I hated my mom a long time ago. It's part of growing. If I could take it all back I would. I wish I could speak to my mom. The only time I dream of her she will not speak. Maybe you should listen up to what she's tryin to tell you. Maybe she acts like this cause she loves you.

Old 08.31.2009, 10:37 AM   #25
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my dad used to be cool.

however, I stopped talking to them about music 25 years ago; shortly after they became convinced that I was holding black masses in my bedroom while listening to the fucking smiths.

there were so many other bands they could have chosen for me to hold my black mass to, but the smiths? really?

these days, I just laugh when my dad tries to get me into Delerium. the conversation usually ends with me berating him for listening to such crap and explaining that Delerium were much fucking better when they were called FRONTLINE FUCKING ASSEMBLY.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 10:39 AM   #26
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
My dad got me into the Electric Prunes.
I'd say I am eternally grateful.
I got him into Sandy Bull and Andreas Martin.
He's cool.
My parents both come the the festival I organize every year, and stay for the entire three days, all day at each one. I really am amazed at their interest. I'm fortunate.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 10:42 AM   #27
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

[quote=floatingslowly]my dad used to be cool.

however, I stopped talking to them about music 25 years ago; shortly after they became convinced that I was holding black masses in my bedroom while listening to the fucking smiths.

there were so many other bands they could have chosen for me to hold my black mass to, but the smiths? really?

quote]

hA ! My mom was convinced I was into witch craft when I was 13 bause of my Heavy Metal facination. I was'nt allowed to wear crystals. She was just raised as a devout Catholic and witch craft is really frightening to catholics for some reason.

Old 08.31.2009, 10:43 AM   #28
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

sonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's assessonicpixie kicks all y'all's asses
its not as cool as u think, there was no hard drinking involved best illustrated perhaps by the fact that my dad drinks non-alcoholic beer.

im 23 now but i was about 7 at the time so hard drinking then for me neways, and i apologise profusely for using the word 'frigging' i am now very ashamed of myself.

yeh i know she loves me and alls forgotten, i was never really mad at her anyway more my dad, i also found out it really doesnt help to talk to them about anything but at least its out my system, kind of
Old 08.31.2009, 10:44 AM   #29
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have a goat-head pentagram on my guitar. My parents think it looks "cool."
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 10:52 AM   #30
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
its not as cool as u think, there was no hard drinking involved best illustrated perhaps by the fact that my dad drinks non-alcoholic beer.

im 23 now but i was about 7 at the time so hard drinking then for me neways, and i apologise profusely for using the word 'frigging' i am now very ashamed of myself.

yeh i know she loves me and alls forgotten, i was never really mad at her anyway more my dad, i also found out it really doesnt help to talk to them about anything but at least its out my system, kind of

Don't let it fester. Life's too short.

Old 08.31.2009, 11:00 AM   #31
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
The last time my parents had a comment on my music was wen I was playing pocahaunted and my mother came into my room and said it sounded quit nice.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 11:01 AM   #32
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So don't be like Uncle Fester?

I'll get my coat...
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 11:55 AM   #33
sonicpixie
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL

very true, i also need an off switch for my head, its most annoying
Old 08.31.2009, 12:04 PM   #34
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
My dad's into this techno dj stuff and even turns the tables at a few gigs. It's embarrassing.

My mom's in this sort of Animal Collective-inspired experimental-pop band with about 20 other people. She doesn't really play an instrument but makes some sounds on the trumpet and she warbles singing a bit. I can get into her stuff a little easier.

I tried to play them some old swing jazz records, Benny Goodman and all that, since that's more from their generation, but they made these pukey faces and called me an asshole.

I guess you could say our musical relationship isn't all that good right now.
Old 08.31.2009, 12:11 PM   #35
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
My dad's into this techno dj stuff and even turns the tables at a few gigs. It's embarrassing.

My mom's in this sort of Animal Collective-inspired experimental-pop band with about 20 other people. She doesn't really play an instrument but makes some sounds on the trumpet and she warbles singing a bit. I can get into her stuff a little easier.

I tried to play them some old swing jazz records, Benny Goodman and all that, since that's more from their generation, but they made these pukey faces and called me an asshole.

I guess you could say our musical relationship isn't all that good right now.

Um dude, you are pretty friggin lucky to have a mom who enjoys Animal Collective.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 12:13 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
He's taking the piss y'divvie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 12:15 PM   #37
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
My dad was just arrested for holding an ounce of crystal! Man, he has gotten out of control. He says he needs it for his "artistic vision."

My mom just came home with purple hair and wearing jackboots. She's pretty hot looking, I have to admit. Our relationship may improve.
Old 08.31.2009, 04:02 PM   #38
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
my dad used to be cool.

I agree with yr parents... I have watched a lot of mexican grandmothers crying tears of the Rosary for their precious mejo in eyelinner

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 04:02 PM   #39
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
My dad was just arrested for holding an ounce of crystal! Man, he has gotten out of control. He says he needs it for his "artistic vision."

My mom just came home with purple hair and wearing jackboots. She's pretty hot looking, I have to admit. Our relationship may improve.

gmku, that sounds exactly like MY pops.. dude, are you my brother?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2009, 04:07 PM   #40
Conrad
stalker

Conrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's asses
We all like Bob Marley.

Other than that, my mom likes one Leftover Crack song.

My dad likes Apeman by the Kinks.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth