Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Crap Music Releases 2014 (and other let downs)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.25.2014, 09:10 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I think Warpaint got a bad wrap. I know their album was a little mid-'90s, lacking the promise of their live performances and the deep dark L.A. cool of “the Fool,” but it wasn't insultingly bad or anything. It was one of the year's first big indie rock releases, and it kinda got it's ass whooped by titanic monsters like Thee Silver Mt. Zion's “Fuck off, Get Free...” and the really hyped up Perfect Pussy debut.

Both of those records are, of course, infinitely better than Warpaint's s/t offering, but they had a lot of industry eyes on them and I'm sure they felt some pressure to perform, leading to atypically picky, clean production and a sound that wasn't really their own. So I'm not gonna judge them. Nirvana had the same experience when they made “Nevermind”, only with better results.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2014, 11:30 PM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
My hope for this thread when I bugged the shit out of louder to start it was that new releases would be announced and discussed by the big hip hop fans on the board. I wanted it to be a place where people suggested new music, and everybody listened and weighed in.

But we know too much about eachother's tastes now, and half the users here would probably never check out an album I recommended just because they know where my loyalties lie. So Kanye haters probably never listen to my recommendations, even if the recommended artists sound nothing like Kanye (which they probably never bother to find out)

But I ain't mad atcha. Let's join hands and pray, shall we?
Old 07.26.2014, 02:49 AM   #23
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Oh yeah, and Dan the Automater just dropped a new album as "Got A Girl" with some female vocalist. Anyone know if it's any good?

No idea how anyone else will take it, but I find it quite enjoyable. I posted in the "best of 2014" thread.
Old 07.26.2014, 08:58 AM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
No idea how anyone else will take it, but I find it quite enjoyable. I posted in the "best of 2014" thread.

Who's the chick? I saw it while I was in the record store the other day, but I don't seem to remember her name or recognize her face.

I'm glad you approve. I thought pillowfight was so-so. Hopefully this is better.
Old 07.26.2014, 01:19 PM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

What the fuck? I thought I was posting in the hip hop thread! Wow. Shows how much attention I'm paying to things these days.
Old 07.26.2014, 02:26 PM   #26
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935541/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Descriptions say they took a lot of inspiration from 60s Italian pop music, so YMMV
Old 07.26.2014, 04:34 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0935541/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Descriptions say they took a lot of inspiration from 60s Italian pop music, so YMMV

What's YMMV. My eyes are bad so at first I thought you were making an updated \m/ symbol. Then I thought you were saying "Yummy"... then I started trying to guess at what acronym it might be, and came up with jack shit.

I'm super curious about this, and lord knows I can't afford to miss any new shifts in internet youth slang. I'm not cool enough.
Old 07.26.2014, 05:27 PM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
he meant your mileage may vary which is not youth anything

Quote:
I think Warpaint got a bad wrap.

i see you made a funny

Quote:
Wow I sounded like such a whopping big d-bag that I could have passed for an anthropology student.. My apologies.

noooo…. it was good.

so what did you eat today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I think I've listened to about 1 minute of a St Vincent song before I decided they were shit. It really shouldn't take the length of an album to get reliable clues.

why suffer?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2014, 05:57 PM   #29
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

What !@#$%! said: "Your mileage may vary"
Old 07.27.2014, 01:33 AM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

but it wasn't insultingly bad or anything.

Agreed totally BUT...
Quote:
I think Warpaint got a bad wrap. I know their album was a little mid-'90s, lacking the promise of their live performances and the deep dark L.A. cool of “the Fool,”

That is entirely the fucking problem. Their live material is so fucking epic and typically the same kind of Los Angeles that gave birth to Mazzy Star that its almost insulting how bland Self-Titled is. As was mentioned earlier, the first two tracks on this record are fucking totally kick fucking ass, I just wish the ENTIRE record sounded like them. To be sure, I don't own The Fool either, but I have a few bootleg recordings of 2009 era concerts that are that material but with the edge and underlying fierceness that their studio albums are always lacking.

Quote:
It was one of the year's first big indie rock releases, and it kinda got it's ass whooped by titanic monsters like Thee Silver Mt. Zion's “Fuck off, Get Free...” and the really hyped up Perfect Pussy debut.

It got its ass kicked because it tried to sound like a Haim record and there is already enough Haim to go around at Pitchfork

Quote:
Nirvana had the same experience when they made “Nevermind”, only with better results.

Though, the fundamental indeed ontological difference between these two records is Warpaint Self-Titled turned off the distortion effect on their guitarwork after the second song on the record, meanwhile Kurt more or less kept his foot on the stompbox the entire album (polly and something in the way aside)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2014, 04:37 PM   #31
Severian
invito al cielo

True. Plus Nirvana's an infinitely better band. Word.

And I agree more or less about Warpaint. I just want to give the band the benefit of the doubt and assume that pressure to make something classic was what deadened their album. Hopefully they stop caring what people think so they can make it as a band and not putter out.
Old 08.01.2014, 07:58 PM   #32
Severian
invito al cielo

I originally liked Death Vessel's 2014 album, but now I think it's overly dramatic music for suicidal 21 year-olds. The singer was apparently castrated. He sounds like a female child of about 6, singing opera.

Blech. Why would SubPop put out such filth? Cuz their really have no quality standards anymore? Oh yeah, that's true.
Old 08.02.2014, 12:28 AM   #33
Severian
invito al cielo

Disappointment: young money 2
Old 08.03.2014, 03:09 AM   #34
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
I like a few of the st vincent songs but its about 50/50 with the biring ones
she annoys me though. Very calculated and precise and not alot of energy/life.

I need to give silver mt zion another listen. I remember the 2nd song blew me awaybut the rest were pretty forgetable
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2014, 12:33 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
I like a few of the st vincent songs but its about 50/50 with the biring ones
she annoys me though. Very calculated and precise and not alot of energy/life.

I need to give silver mt zion another listen. I remember the 2nd song blew me awaybut the rest were pretty forgetable

It's my favorite release of theirs since the Pretty Little Lightning Paw & This Is Our Punk Rock EP's. Meaning, I basically think it's their best album. I kinda let myself forget about it too, but I have gone back to it since and I think it really is a kickass album.
Old 08.17.2014, 11:49 AM   #36
Edwardbenz
empty page

Edwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's assesEdwardbenz kicks all y'all's asses
Controversial but the new silver mt zion didn't do anything for me. Vocals sound like something out of a crumby arcade fire tribute band.

Also the new mogwai was massively disappointing. That satanic led zeppelin sample thing was the most cringeworthy thing to grace my ears in a while.
Edwardbenz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2014, 11:17 AM   #37
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Wiz Khalifa's new album sucks
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2014, 04:11 PM   #38
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

keep meaning to check this. I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I love Automator. I love 60's cocktail and Exotica music. I think it will be something I'll dig.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth