Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page attn musicians, musicologists, people who know music-- help me understand
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2015, 11:11 AM   #41
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
So both songs are in the same key, and riff on the same basic chord progression, so they're rooted in the same series of notes.

ah, finally--an explanation that makes complete sense to me.

it took only 7 years. but at last it's solved.

thanks!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2015, 09:35 PM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Whoah, I didn't even think to look at the posting date of this. Hah. Sorry mate.

For a microsecond I felt useful. Until I read all those other replies that put mine to shame.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2015, 09:26 AM   #43
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Whoah, I didn't even think to look at the posting date of this. Hah. Sorry mate.

For a microsecond I felt useful. Until I read all those other replies that put mine to shame.

man, you're way too neurotic, ha ha.

you're the only one who replied in a way i could grasp! other replies i felt were only partial.

reading back i think suchfriends did explain--but his version left me confused-- i only undrstand him after having read what you wrote.

take the fucking compliment. TAKE IT.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:36 PM   #44
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
man, you're way too neurotic, ha ha.

you're the only one who replied in a way i could grasp! other replies i felt were only partial.

reading back i think suchfriends did explain--but his version left me confused-- i only undrstand him after having read what you wrote.

take the fucking compliment. TAKE IT.

I guess I am pretty great, now that you mention it.
Old 05.08.2015, 10:41 PM   #45
Severian
invito al cielo

Ps: we gotta get talking literature again one of these days, SB. I stole an anthology of Borges collected fictions (Andrew Hurley translations) from my step father some time ago. And I don't believe you ever got back to me about those Gene Wolfe readings I assigned.

this is pass or fail shit here son.
Old 05.09.2015, 12:35 AM   #46
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ah, finally--an explanation that makes complete sense to me.

it took only 7 years. but at last it's solved.

thanks!

an explanation to what? yr so full of shit!!! a thread I just happened to bump and you act like you still care.

OMGOD!!! lol!! yr a self involved forum dickhead!!! yeah, I said it because no one else will.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2015, 12:56 PM   #47
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout
an explanation to what? yr so full of shit!!! a thread I just happened to bump and you act like you still care.

OMGOD!!! lol!! yr a self involved forum dickhead!!! yeah, I said it because no one else will.

Has a psychiatrist ever recommended antipsychotics to treat your dissociative identity disorder?
Old 05.09.2015, 03:40 PM   #48
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
[Jim O'Rourke On Eureka's pop culture and musical influences, 1999]
"Like Ken Vandermark’s sax solo on "Through the Night Softly." If you take that out of context, you’re going to be wondering, "What is that?". I remember recording it and saying "No, Ken, stupider…stupider." He kept saying, "Aw Jim, come on." But what most people have heard is Pink Floyd’s "The Great Gig in the Sky" from Dark Side of the Moon, which I can understand because the drumming was purposefully supposed to sound like Nick Mason. But it is supposed to feel like "Saturday Night Live." That interests me partially because it’s a cultural reference taken out of its context but also because it’s just stupid. I like stupid stuff. I have to admit it’s also slightly a parody of a Gastr del Sol song for me. The cliched poignant piano on that song is just ridiculous. What is so poignant about a piano humping out a bunch of chords, you know? So that tune is mostly made up of jokes. But it had to work musically of course."

- Jim O'Rourke
---

I just played the two songs alongside one another. Obviously "Great Gig", the meter is slightly different, and chief similarity is in the piano chords and the drumming, and how they fit together. Also in he climax, with the soul singin' and saxophone being pretty comparable, as both act as the climax of the song....

But I think this is Jim both paying tribute to, and having a laugh at, the "poignant" and melancholy style of epic '70s rock.

So both songs are in the same key, and riff on the same basic chord progression, so they're rooted in the same series of notes. But Eureka is not meant to be taken as seriously as I often find myself taking it. That line about "no, Kim- stupider" is pretty telling. Insignificance and Eureka were both meant to be a little dumb. I know he says he's poking fun at Gastr Del Sol, but by splicing SNL and Pink Floyd, I think he's being a cheeky fuck and making a very blank-faced statement about how "stupid" trad rock music can be.

That's not to say he doesn't like Floyd. I'm sure he does. But this is Jim O'Rourke. It's a tongue in cheek tribute, if you ask me, and Eureka is a tongue in cheek album.

Thanks for sharing, im glad Jim cleared this up directly, i remember becoming OCD about this thread years ago and sat down and learned to play both songs to "feel" out the similarities and differences.. i knew it was mostly in the drums but the key was also the same. Indeed if i were "jamming" lead with either of these bands on these songs i would probably just play the same riff or scales cuz they fit together so naturally

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2015, 08:41 AM   #49
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
And I don't believe you ever got back to me about those Gene Wolfe readings I assigned.

So which books would you recommend to someone who has never read Gene Wolfe before?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2015, 08:52 AM   #50
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Has a psychiatrist ever recommended antipsychotics to treat your dissociative identity disorder?

ha ha ha! he's not pyschotic-- he's just a really lousy drunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Thanks for sharing, im glad Jim cleared this up directly, i remember becoming OCD about this thread years ago and sat down and learned to play both songs to "feel" out the similarities and differences.. i knew it was mostly in the drums but the key was also the same. Indeed if i were "jamming" lead with either of these bands on these songs i would probably just play the same riff or scales cuz they fit together so naturally

originally i hadn't even noticed the drums

Quote:
this is pass or fail shit here son.

-gimme an F!
-F!
Old 05.10.2015, 01:14 PM   #51
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ha ha ha! he's not pyschotic-- he's just a really lousy drunk.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth