Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Reccomend me some Dubstep
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.01.2010, 02:59 PM   #81
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
it also sounds quite paranoid. surely Rastafarianism can't be so fragile a faith that it's troubled by a few non-Rastas wearing red gold and green hats.

do you think sikhs or muslims would have a different response to that sort of thing?

i doubt it
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2010, 03:03 PM   #82
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9EW7xVZIA

there's definitely some irony present in non-rastas sampling rastas talking about non-believers perishing
Old 03.01.2010, 03:08 PM   #83
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
meh, suchfriends isn't insanely far off. it's not rare for someone like rusko to play a song like *jahova while taking a large rail of ketamine. skream has lot's of tunes with samples of rastas talking about religious topics and he certainly is not one himself. it's a huge stretch to recommend listening to older dub artists instead of dubstep because they aren't the same genre and don't negate the value of eachother in any way. there isn't as much religious content in the music now as there was 5 years ago when it was a smaller scene and much more dub oriented. it's still a fact though that's there's loads of examples of rasta things being used by artists who have nothing to do with that belief.

*top tune by the way

exactly! Rock bands don't dress like Catholic priests, soul groups don't dress like the Amish. Hip Hop artists don't use the speech and religious imagery of Vedic Hundus, and yet with Rastafari EVERYONE borrows the our culture without adopting it and we are supposed to say nothing?

We in Rastafari just want folks to overstand what they are dealing with, and have Raspect for our culture. It is truly all love, but we want folks who dig our culture to do it with sincerity and authenticity, not half-assed or even sarcastically.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2010, 05:23 PM   #84
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
exactly! Rock bands don't dress like Catholic priests

not exactly what you mentioned but......

Old 03.08.2010, 04:33 PM   #85
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
bloody hell, i've discovered FaltyDL, Starkey and King Midas Sound yesterday and today and the three of them really blew my mind. FaltyDL and King Midas Sound especially. King Midas Sound is killing me right now. So chill, it's incredible. - it's not really dubstep though but I don't see where you could fit it anywhere else.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2010, 04:32 AM   #86
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this is brilliant

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2010, 10:37 AM   #87
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
exactly! Rock bands don't dress like Catholic priests, soul groups don't dress like the Amish. Hip Hop artists don't use the speech and religious imagery of Vedic Hundus, and yet with Rastafari EVERYONE borrows the our culture without adopting it and we are supposed to say nothing?

We in Rastafari just want folks to overstand what they are dealing with, and have Raspect for our culture. It is truly all love, but we want folks who dig our culture to do it with sincerity and authenticity, not half-assed or even sarcastically.

I respect your views on this, but rastas aren't the only people who have this standpoint to music.

There's a bar up the road from my place that is riddled with diehard Iron Maiden fans who only listen to, well... Iron Maiden.

If I were to walk in there and start a discussion about Sunn O))), Boris, Electric Wizard, or any other form of metal for that matter,
I'd get laughed at or chopped up into little pieces with axes that adorn the place. Stubborn cunts , is what they are.

Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2010, 05:55 PM   #88
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
That dubstep single (Eprom / Eskmo) Warp put out last month is ridiculously briliant. Eskmo's track is blowing my mind right now, it's so chill. I wish I could hear more from that vocalist Swan... Eprom's track is also fantastic - kinda reminds me of Rustie's remix of Zomby's Spliff Dub. Great great great
Old 03.14.2010, 03:25 AM   #89
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
That dubstep single (Eprom / Eskmo) Warp put out last month is ridiculously briliant. Eskmo's track is blowing my mind right now, it's so chill. I wish I could hear more from that vocalist Swan... Eprom's track is also fantastic - kinda reminds me of Rustie's remix of Zomby's Spliff Dub. Great great great

I told you motherfuckers pages ago. Eskmo is the shiiiiit. Check out his lower tempo project too. I can't remember the name. He played at the aftershow here in Minneapolis a month or two ago. Great show. Him and Eskmo are great guys and really talented.

Lots and lots of fun live too. One of the best dubstep shows I've been to in a while and I go to at least one a week.

But, Bass Nectar is coming soon. Shit's been sold out for weeks. Going to be intense.
Old 03.14.2010, 04:15 AM   #90
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
bloody hell, i've discovered FaltyDL, Starkey and King Midas Sound yesterday and today and the three of them really blew my mind. FaltyDL and King Midas Sound especially. King Midas Sound is killing me right now. So chill, it's incredible. - it's not really dubstep though but I don't see where you could fit it anywhere else.
I haven't read the last 3 pages of this thread, so I assume this is the first mention of King Midas Sound, who's indeed brilliant.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2010, 04:26 AM   #91
SYRFox
invito al cielo

yes! i'm gonna see King Midas Sound opening for Autechre in Brussels, now how cool is that! I can't wait.
Old 03.14.2010, 06:27 AM   #92
Stijn
bad moon rising

Stijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's assesStijn kicks all y'all's asses
don't know if this classifies as dubstep but amazing track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdTbgx5ZXSk
Stijn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 02:44 PM   #93
SYRFox
invito al cielo

okay hayden you were totally right. eskmo is fucking legendary. I couldn't get We Have Invisible Friends out of my head today... Such a great track. It actually quite reminds me of Metroid Prime's soundtrack or some kind of Oneohtrix Point Never with beats, which can never be a bad thing. Definitely a unique sound anyway. GREAT.
The Colourbrain mix he's done for Brainfeeder is excellent as well.
Old 03.15.2010, 07:44 PM   #94
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
okay hayden you were totally right. eskmo is fucking legendary. I couldn't get We Have Invisible Friends out of my head today... Such a great track. It actually quite reminds me of Metroid Prime's soundtrack or some kind of Oneohtrix Point Never with beats, which can never be a bad thing. Definitely a unique sound anyway. GREAT.
The Colourbrain mix he's done for Brainfeeder is excellent as well.

Super sick. The show was absolutely fantastic as well. Eskmo and EPROM both threw the fuck down. We've got a really good dub step scene here in Minneapolis. TCDubstep puts on a different show every week.
Old 04.14.2010, 03:28 PM   #95
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Okay so I've seen King Midas Sound live last week and they were mindblowing. Live, they're like the evil version of their studio record: it was noisy, dirty, with crazy bass and a wall of fog onstage, you could only see their shapes. Excellent show.

Also, is anyone else into Ikonika's album right now? I'm enjoying it so fucking much. R.E.S.O.L. is unbelievable. I had high expectations because of Sahara Michael but this is exceeding them.
Old 04.14.2010, 04:20 PM   #96
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, how about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtMlB-BEMso

And this?
(this might as well one of the most obscure dubstep tracks I've ever heard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-BEq...eature=related

And yes, Peverelist too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyqHOHHI40

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2010, 04:42 PM   #97
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Big shout out to the Bristol dubstep massive. Hold tight mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2010, 06:05 PM   #98
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Okay, how about this?

And this?

And yes, Peverelist too.

all good except woo boost, not that it's bad, i would probably like it if rusko didn't have 50 other tracks exactly like it.

what do you mean by obscure?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTw_sj7Ugxw
Old 04.15.2010, 03:31 AM   #99
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Okay, how about this?

And this?

And yes, Peverelist too.

I like that Rusko tune, though it's the kind of dubstep that quickly bores me. The videoclip is fucking excellent though. I think I had heard an excerpt of a Skream live set where he dropped this and it was excellent.

That Zomby track is fucking awesome, I love Zomby so much. His first album was excellent, but I like the fact that he evolved with that EP Kaliko is on, it's really interesting. Can't wait to see what he does on his hext album. The remix of his Spliff Dub by Rustie is unbelievable too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPuwIpf3uBA

Thanks for Peverelist, I always mean to check him out but haven't done so yet. He sounds awesome
Old 04.17.2010, 05:28 PM   #100
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Ikonika's album is so fucking brilliant, I can't believe it. I might end up liking it as much as Hud Mo's Butter. Both are albums I started finding meh (although Butter really made me want to throw up), but listening to them more the kitsch side disappears and I just see the sheer awesome fun. Most fun album this year? Maybe.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth