Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page im interviewing pink reason tonight
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.10.2008, 07:34 AM   #21
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
am i missing something for not feeling like pink reason is that good?

I think that if you are after an original sounding band, you're after the wrong one. If, on the other hand, you are after some ace rock n roll tunes with an air of desperation, sex and a squalid existence, you have found one of the very best around.

These are some of the bands/artists that Pink Reason remind me off, on occasion:

Smog at his darkest
Royal Trux
The Velvet Underground
The Jesus & Mary Chain of Psychocandy/ Barbed Wire Kisses
Joy Division
Certain Guided By Voices songs
''Down On Me'' could even be a song by The Strokes, if it didn't have that certain sleazy delivery that the band in question lacks.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2008, 07:37 AM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I just listened to them for the first time.

I found it decent. Interesting production...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2008, 07:42 AM   #23
sarramkrop

It's difficult to talk about production with a band like this. I mean, one of the things that struck me so much about Kevin DeBroux is that apparently he wrote a lot of these great songs on broken equipment at various stages of his, erm, existence. I also liked the story about an early incarnation of Pink Reason having a bonkers blind person in the line up as a singer.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2008, 07:44 AM   #24
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Does anyone know if there's a slim chance that the 7'' singles will eventually come out as a compilation of some sort?

i'd like this too
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2008, 07:56 AM   #25
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

The Jesus & Mary Chain of Psychocandy

i was wondering if i was daft for thinking cleaning the mirror is reminiscent of psychocandy without really sounding much like it, i guess it's the vocal delivery.

they remind me a bit of luxurious bags too.
Old 06.10.2008, 08:05 AM   #26
sarramkrop

First time I've listened to ''By A Thread'' I immediately thought of a number of songs on Jesus and Mary Chain's ''Barbed Wire Kisses'' because some of them sound both vocally and melodically like that song.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2008, 09:41 AM   #27
sarramkrop

Another song that reminded me of the Jesus and Mary Chain is ''Up The Sleeve''. The drum machine pattern in the middle is identical to the one at the end of ''Sidewalking''. Couple that with the cavernous vocals on both the songs and it's not hard to hear.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 12:26 PM   #28
sarramkrop

For Toilet and whoever missed that legendary thread over at the termbo forum. This zip file contains the live that Kev Pink Reason uploaded. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mvjetbcmejd
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 12:34 PM   #29
sarramkrop

These two are off a tape of the first Pink Reason recordings with the blind dude that I got off another thread started by Kevin:

Fucked Up, Fucked Down
http://www.mediafire.com/?mnw4ndztjzu

Temporary Life
http://www.mediafire.com/?wg50txeyuuy
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 12:42 PM   #30
sarramkrop

Jamming with mentalist Brad from that forum. Cool version of 'By A Thread' and psychedelic freakout at the end: http://www.mediafire.com/?ldzbxzysj2j

PINK REASON SUCK
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 02:34 PM   #31
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i just read the pink reason article in blastitude from a while back, it was cool. apparently he wrote a lot of the debut album while strung out on crank, which is why the songs came out so long. i wud think speed would have the opposite effect, making you want to perfect the song into a three minute time frame, with no filler. like fleedwood mac on coke when they did 'rumours'.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 09:58 PM   #32
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
would he eat a dead baby if it would expand his consciousness for a long time?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2008, 09:58 PM   #33
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
ok, thats too much for even me, would he eat a dead puppy if it would expand his consciousness for a long time
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2008, 03:16 PM   #34
sarramkrop

http://bp0.blogger.com/_qSXMQNCS0mU/...me-article.jpg
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2008, 03:36 AM   #36
sarramkrop

I think that for quite a number of people these bands are not a 'fad' but more a vital alternative to a lot of bullshit music that is around. I don't care for the NME, but hat off to them for at least dedicating an article to some decent bands, for once.

Oh and the new U.S. Girls album is fucking YAY!. One of the best songs I have heard this year so far is 'Don't Understand That Man'.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2008, 04:53 AM   #37
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

well the other name for Shitgaze is Clowning on Bitches
Old 07.17.2008, 10:28 AM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i meant the "label" part of my post, the other part not so much.

this is just the 967th permutation of garage rock really.

it's going to be the next big alternative thing, that's for sure.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2008, 10:54 AM   #39
sarramkrop

But really, why do you care so much about that stuff? I enjoy the records, the attitude of quite a few of the bands, and that's enough for me.

A little correction: Garage rock doesn't so much mutate itself, it incorporates different elements from other type of music at times without changing its basic structure much at all. It's a surefire winner when it comes to rock formulas.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2008, 10:59 AM   #40
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

yeah, it's makes a nice change that some good bands are getting attention.
i think they're probably all too fucked up sounding to really get that big, but we'll see.
the only downside to those bands getting popular would mean having to see them play large venues.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth