Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Good non-fiction reads
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.03.2006, 10:05 AM   #21
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
screaming with joy - the life of allen ginsberg
a simple guide to buddhism by steve hagen
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 10:23 AM   #22
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
something contemporary perhaps..
this one was the last non-fiction book i've read..
pretty intense...

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 10:29 AM   #23
swimsuitissue
little trouble girl

swimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Awakening the Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das
Party of One: The Loner's Manifesto - Anneli Rufus
11/19/88 Hollywood, CA; 08/017/90 Hollywood, CA; 09/26/92 Castaic Lake, CA; 07/23/00 Los Angeles, CA; 07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/28/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/20/07 Los Angeles, CA

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
swimsuitissue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 11:01 AM   #24
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses

INT. BOOKSTORE-DAY

Annie and Alvy browsing in crowded bookstore. Alvy, carrying two books,
"Death and Western Thought" and "The Denial of Death", moves over to where
Annie is looking.

ALVY
Hey?

ANNIE
H'm?

ALVY
I-I-I'm gonna buy you these books, I
think, because I-I think you should
read them. You know, instead of that
cat book.

ANNIE
(Looking at the books Alvy
is bolding)
That's, uh ...
(Laughing)
that's pretty serious stuff there.

ALVY
Yeah, 'cause I-I'm, you know, I'm,
I'm obsessed with-with, uh, with death,
I think. Big-

ANNIE
(Overlapping)
Yeah?

ALVY
-big subject with me, yeah.

ANNIE
Yeah?

They move over to the cashier line.

ALVY
(Gesturing)
I've a very pessimistic view of life.
You should know this about me if we're
gonna go out, you know. I-I-I feel that
life is-is divided up into the horrible
and the miserable.

ANNIE
M'hm.

ALVY
Those are the two categories ...

ANNIE
M'hm.

ALVY
... you know, they're- The-the horrible
would be like, uh, I don't know, terminal
cases, you know?

ANNIE
M'hm.

ALVY
And blind people, crippled ...

ANNIE
Yeah.

ALVY
I don't-don't know how they get through
life. It's amazing to me.

ANNIE
M'hm.

ALVY
You know, and the miserable is everyone
else. That's-that's all. So-so when
you go through life you should be thankful
that you're miserable, because that's-
You're very lucky ... to be ...
(Overlapping Annie's laughter)
... to be miserable.

ANNIE
U-huh.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 11:11 AM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I read mainly non-fiction. Right now I am reading two books, one is a dictionary of word and phrase origins, wreitten in the 1960's and another is a compendium of grafitty from the past 3000 years. half is telling about the different types and the second half of the book is just a listing of all this genius grafitti trhough time.
Old 07.03.2006, 02:41 PM   #26
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91

marilyn manson's is pretty good too, but you'll feel dirty after reading it.

Hahaha, that book is pretty cool. I have it, and just read it a few months ago.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 03:21 PM   #27
afreespirit
little trouble girl

afreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's asses
Tuxedo Park- Jennet Conant
The myth of Sisyphus and The Rebel- Albert Camus
The Most Dangerous Enemy-Stephen Bungay
Republic of Fear-Kenan Makiya
Paris 1919-Margaret MacMillan
Rites of Spring:The Great War and the Birth of the Modern Age-Modris Eksteins
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom-T. E. Lawrence
Uptight:The story of the Velvet Underground-Victor Bockris, Gerard Malanga
afreespirit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 03:26 PM   #28
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Is The Rebel not fiction? I haven't read it, I just thought.....
Myth of Sisyphus was to difficult for me. I love Camus works, though.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 07:08 PM   #29
afreespirit
little trouble girl

afreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's assesafreespirit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Is The Rebel not fiction? I haven't read it, I just thought.....
Myth of Sisyphus was to difficult for me. I love Camus works, though.
The Rebel is an essay exploring the logical crime which arises from out of revolution in an age of nihilism. The most common feature of most revolutions since 1789 has been the imposition of state terrorsim in defence of the revolution. This logic inevitably leads to mass murder; the death camp and the gulag, the guillotine and the gas chamber.

The Rebel is less abstract than The Myth of Sisyphus, and you'll probably find it an easier read. Like I did.
afreespirit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 07:18 PM   #30
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Roald Dahl- Boy and Going Solo.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 01:08 AM   #31
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
Hanna Arendt - Life of the Mind
Guy debord - Society of the Spectacle
International Situationist Anthology
Martin Heidegger - Letter on Humanism
Paul Ricoeur - Time and Narrative
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 09:06 AM   #32
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth