Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page It's official - NNCK are the best band in the world.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2007, 05:54 PM   #121
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Meh, I like what I like。'Nuff said. Fortunately I don't have an understanding of art and music to get in the way of my enjoyment of it (music that is).
Old 03.27.2007, 01:20 PM   #122
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm. So I got Nine for Victor at the weekend... and it's perhaps not the best of theirs. Which is a shame. Of course, personal opinion and all that jazz... but yes. The Kazuo Imai record I got, meanwhile, is awesomeness beyond belief. Still, I might grow to love the new NNCK and it can sit proudly with the other releases I have of theirs. Or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2007, 04:55 PM   #123
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Oh wow wow wow. NNCK DVD!
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=20165 51174
WOW!

Anyone know any more about this?

From Adam Mortimer website: THE NO NECK BLUES BAND: AT 6AM WE BECOME THE POLICE
DVD retrospective of 10 years of performances and videos from the NYC avant guarde band
Old 04.06.2007, 07:24 PM   #124
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
as i already stated in another thread, i bought the NNCK and Embryo album today. fucking great. this band is one of my favorite musical discoveries as of late, so thank you guys...
too bad i probably bought the only official NNCk cd in the country, that means ill have to order from the states...

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2007, 09:15 PM   #125
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=20165 51174
WOW!

DVD retrospective of 10 years of performances and videos from the NYC avant guarde band

Hooray! I think news about this was posted here at the end of last year. Really looknig forward to it.

Also, the music clips on the myspace suggest that there might be new recordings perhaps....maybe...hope so.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2007, 10:15 AM   #126
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Hmm. So I got Nine for Victor at the weekend... and it's perhaps not the best of theirs. Which is a shame. Of course, personal opinion and all that jazz... but yes. The Kazuo Imai record I got, meanwhile, is awesomeness beyond belief. Still, I might grow to love the new NNCK and it can sit proudly with the other releases I have of theirs. Or something.

I was being hasty. Well done me for being hasty. And wrong. It's actually very, very good. Again. Bastards.

DVD news has got me hard. Diamond-cutter hard.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.07.2007, 03:53 PM   #127
Bunbury
stalker

Bunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's assesBunbury kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
WOW!

at 6 am we become the police.

awesome news, thanks!
Bunbury is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2007, 05:38 PM   #128
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
That DVD does appear to be really neat.

Speaking of DVDs, does anyone know what the relation is between Vizusa and NNCK? Since they're selling a Vizusa DVD-R at the NNCK site at the moment...

edit: oh google, is there anything you don't know? seems that vizusa consists of ex-members of excepter, a band that had ex-members of nnck.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2007, 12:42 PM   #129
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I downloaded Qvaris a few weeks ago. I've been listening to it and I don't get what the big deal is. Pleasant sounds, but I have a hard time maintaining interest. I've been doing very close passive listening. I don't believe this music can be listened to actively. I have formal problems with it. It's organic, but meanders. I'm sceptical. Also, where's the Grundgestalt in the tunes? Sometimes I think that instead of saying something musical, they're saying something emotive, and that's a degradation in communication. That is, there's no reference, except for some odd, primal, sensationalism.

Convert me.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2007, 12:48 PM   #130
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Convert me.

would you like to sell flowers in airports? how about door too door fundraising as a "missionary"?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2007, 12:57 PM   #131
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
would you like to sell flowers in airports? how about door too door fundraising as a "missionary"?

hahaha If you've got the pamphlets, I've got the time. I'm a poor salesman, though.

"Have your heard of NNCK, Madame? No? Do you have a stereo and 20 minutes?"
Old 04.09.2007, 02:56 PM   #132
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sometimes I think that instead of saying something musical, they're saying something emotive, and that's a degradation in communication

God, your not one of these people who idolises Frank Zappa and says stuff like "oh he's making all these musical references, he's so witty". I know your sort!
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2007, 04:38 PM   #133
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
whats wrong with frank zappa?

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2007, 04:41 PM   #134
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
God, your not one of these people who idolises Frank Zappa and says stuff like "oh he's making all these musical references, he's so witty". I know your sort!

No, you've misinterpreted what I was saying. I meant self-referential. Not referencing some outside thing like the Dies Irae or some shit. Zappa is OK - not a huge fan.
Old 04.09.2007, 05:03 PM   #135
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
I downloaded Qvaris a few weeks ago. I've been listening to it and I don't get what the big deal is. Pleasant sounds, but I have a hard time maintaining interest. I've been doing very close passive listening. I don't believe this music can be listened to actively. I have formal problems with it. It's organic, but meanders. I'm sceptical. Also, where's the Grundgestalt in the tunes? Sometimes I think that instead of saying something musical, they're saying something emotive, and that's a degradation in communication. That is, there's no reference, except for some odd, primal, sensationalism.

Convert me.

Qvaris probably wouldn't flip your switches. It is a bit meandering. I was completely sold by the time that record came out, but I might not have been so convinced if it was the only one I heard. Personally, Letters from the Earth is my favourite - they manage to pull that trick of improvising something that couldn't be composed without being a 'jam band'. I'm not saying it couldn't be composed, more that it wouldn't be composed. There's a lot of playing on the precipice of improvisational collapse... and it's that which interests me most about them, especially on LFTE, that they sound like an improv band sounds like when they're just about to lose grip on whatever 'groove' they had... except they often don't have the groove in the first place. There's also a lot of sounding like sections of the band are fighting against another section... there's a track on Nine for Victor where this Cello meanders forever with some twiddling otherwise... and then it suddenly finds the tonic and the rest of the twiddling falls into place.

I could probably say something a little less wishy-washy, but it's been an epic weekend.

Quote:
Old 04.09.2007, 07:03 PM   #136
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
NNCK have more in common with the sixties notion of the happening than anything more conventionally known as rock (or even improv). In that sense, the bands I liken them to most are the Velvets (in their live capacity), very early Amon Duul and, to a certain degree, Hawkwind.

NNCK are therefore important not just on a purely musical level but for tapping into an almost entirely lost tradition of more communal creative activity. The fact that they're one of my favourite 'bands' at the moment probably has a lot more to do with that, than anything found directly on the CDs themselves.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2007, 11:33 AM   #137
dnorsen
bad moon rising

dnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's asses
there is a longer blurb of the dvd here on adam's site: http://www.adammortimer.com/reel09.htm
dnorsen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2007, 11:42 AM   #138
hat and beard
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorsen
there is a longer blurb of the dvd here on adam's site: http://www.adammortimer.com/reel09.htm

I'm sold!
Old 04.10.2007, 01:59 PM   #139
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Epic weekends or not, and I don't think you have that much to say on the matter, NNCk come more from the NYC tradition of playing on rooftops, something that is totally antagonistic to most musicians on here. A bit of a hippy idea, in its collective execution at least, and it still generates acceptably abstract music. I don't really understand why noumenal's ass gets kissed so much, when he severely lacks knowledge in many a strain of making music. Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

Meh. I sympathise with your way of appreciating music, I sympathise with his. Quelle probleme?

Quote:
Old 04.10.2007, 04:33 PM   #140
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
In case anyone cares I confirmed with Dave Nuss that there will NOT be an Orthodox Easter gig in the park this year 2007 - they're taking a break this year...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth