Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you think is lacking from today's music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2009, 06:57 PM   #81
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i see the fact that the only option even you can offer for them to maintain any credibility is to have given up the ghost in the past as proof of my previous argument.

the point about playfulness and creativity is unrefutable from any standpoint.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:04 PM   #82
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i see the fact that the only option even you can offer for them to maintain any credibility is to have given up the ghost in the past as proof of my previous argument.

You're right in many ways, and I can't be arsed to formulate a better answer to it right now. Point of the thread is: if you have such vivid feelings about it all, what the fuck are you doing on here, instead of putting it all into practice?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:05 PM   #83
sarramkrop

Still waiting for the cassingle, by the way.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:07 PM   #84
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Matching suits.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:08 PM   #85
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
its now a calbum and it will be out by aug hopefully.

but you could help speed up the process with suggestions as to how i can get files off a laptop that has broken usb ports and wont burn cds or dvds? i cant reformat it without loosing the files. i dont want to have to take photos of all the text and record the audio out onto something else because theres so much and i cant loose anymore quality.

but yeah, yr right, im retiring after 1000 posts.
Old 05.13.2009, 07:12 PM   #86
sarramkrop

Rolling Stones to you, then.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:15 PM   #87
ni'k
invito al cielo

ouch
Old 05.13.2009, 07:17 PM   #88
sarramkrop

Send me a pm.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:17 PM   #89
sarramkrop

Keith Richards
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:18 PM   #90
sarramkrop

What are you going to do after 1000 posts?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:27 PM   #91
ni'k
invito al cielo

grieve/get a new ego/something worthwhile/its a secret
Old 05.13.2009, 07:54 PM   #92
sarramkrop

gmku has a point in all this too. If we only listen to music cynically, which is very much the norm these days, that's not fun either.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 08:10 PM   #93
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
That's my biggest problem. I am actively working to become less cynical about music. People have whined about rock being a nostalgia trip for eons.. but I've been to several shows recently that were pretty fucking thrilling that some twat would probably call 'nostalgic' or 'ahistorical' (again, Drunkdriver, I can't talk about them enough). You can definitely look critically at something... but when it gets too cerebral all the fun is taken out.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 08:13 PM   #94
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
er, um, ahem, well, then, there, now...
Old 05.13.2009, 08:14 PM   #95
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k

My rockandroll balls are bigger than your rockandroll balls.
Old 05.13.2009, 08:47 PM   #96
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Its mystery
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 09:08 PM   #97
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
The problem with today's music is that it hasn't had time to season.

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2009, 08:25 AM   #98
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've thought about it some more, and I'm going with "longevity".

maybe it's just the glut of music that's "out there" or maybe it's just not as good, but I really don't hear much today that makes me think "these guys will still be huge in 30 years".

I've thought that before, and it didn't come to me again till you mentioned it. A popular band used to stick around a lot longer. Beatles, Stones, Zepplin, AC/DC, etc... while I'm not a huge fan of all of those, you have to give them credit for longevity.

Or maybe you don't. Maybe the credit should go to the music fans of that period, ones who didn't look at music from 5 years before as "old" and knew what they liked, not just what they were told to like (ok, that last part I'm sure still played a part back then, but I can't imagine it was as bad as it is now).

We should also probably give credit to the bands that didn't form. The bands that didn't say, "Wow, that Rolling Stones sound sure is a hit! Let's do exactly that!" Once again, sure it happened, but I would guess on a much smaller level than it does now, with everybody thinking they can and should form a band.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2009, 08:33 AM   #99
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
I'd be curious to know what prompted you to start this thread. Are you bored with any music you listen to today? Not enough greatness?

These days i find VERY FEW records that i want to actually buy. I'd say i buy about 10 new records each year (music that was released that year).
But i may buy 5times as much older music.
To me it doesn't mean music is less good than before it's just that my tastes are more and more precise, which is good and a pity at the same time.
Old 05.14.2009, 09:04 AM   #100
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
I'd be curious to know what prompted you to start this thread.

Um, maybe he feels something is lacking from today's music? Hmm? Maybe that prompted it? Possibly?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth