Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.14.2018, 02:47 PM   #1921
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Holt shit. Mad Men is more addictive than opium.

I honestly did not believe the hype on this one, but my god.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2018, 04:07 PM   #1922
Peterpuff
bad moon rising

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
End of the F***cking World - Netflix
Enjoyed it. It's odd. I got a mild Wes Anderson vibe mixed with that cynical British wit. It has a certain tone that is just hard to totally pinpoint. Interesting watch. I am really interested to see what becomes of that Alex Lawther kid in it. He was in one of my favorite Black Mirror episodes and this series, and just knocked it out of the park in both, imo. I think he'll be one to watch in the future.

Dark - Netflix
If you can get past the English overdubbing, this is very well worth the watch. There are a lot of Stranger Things comparisons I see online, but I don't totally agree with them after watching. I see where they come from, but this series certainly stands alone. Clever writing. Heavy story that develops interestingly well.

And of course, both the new Chappelle and Tom Segura standup specials were quite enjoyable.

I really am interested in that American Horror Story after reading through this thread some more. I will likely be starting that this weekend. It sounds hit or miss though. Should I start with Season 1 and just keep going or should I jump around to different seasons?
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2018, 07:42 PM   #1923
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
End of the F***cking World - Netflix
Enjoyed it. It's odd. I got a mild Wes Anderson vibe mixed with that cynical British wit. It has a certain tone that is just hard to totally pinpoint. Interesting watch. I am really interested to see what becomes of that Alex Lawther kid in it. He was in one of my favorite Black Mirror episodes and this series, and just knocked it out of the park in both, imo. I think he'll be one to watch in the future.

I started this and was really intrigued, but couldnít even stay away from Mad Men for half an hour. This will be next for me.

[/quote]
I really am interested in that American Horror Story after reading through this thread some more. I will likely be starting that this weekend. It sounds hit or miss though. Should I start with Season 1 and just keep going or should I jump around to different seasons?[/quote]

Season 1 is kind of shit... too much rape. 2 is better, but still lots of rape.
Season 3 (Coven) is the absolute fucking best, so thatís all there is to that.

Four and five and six are all kind of forgettable, but I loved season 7, the one about the election and the Trump era cult leader.

I might jump around if I were you. Read the descriptions and go with what sounds best to you. But the Roanoke season is utter crap. Total crap shitfest.

My ranking:
1. Season 3 (Coven)
2. Season 7 (Cult)
3. Season 2 (Asylum)
4. Season 5 (Hotel)
5. Season 4 (Freakshow)
6. Season 1 (Eventully known as ďMurder HouseĒ)
7. Season 6 (Roanoke, aka the fucking reality TV bullsht one that tries to be meta and fails horrifically)

Seasons 5-7 are all much shorter than the first four, which were like 20 episodes each. The latter seasons are only like 10-13 eps, so keep that in mind.
Old 01.18.2018, 08:46 AM   #1924
Peterpuff
bad moon rising

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I might jump around if I were you. Read the descriptions and go with what sounds best to you. But the Roanoke season is utter crap. Total crap shitfest.

My ranking:
1. Season 3 (Coven)
2. Season 7 (Cult)
3. Season 2 (Asylum)
4. Season 5 (Hotel)
5. Season 4 (Freakshow)
6. Season 1 (Eventully known as ďMurder HouseĒ)
7. Season 6 (Roanoke, aka the fucking reality TV bullsht one that tries to be meta and fails horrifically)

Dig it, thanks for the response. I might check it out in this order then, so long as I would not be losing out on any character development or must-see easter eggs or anything. Sounds like each season stands completely independent of the others.

You are also making me want to pick up Mad Men again. That really was a good show. I got to like Season 3 or something years ago but got way to busy to continue for awhile at the time, then it just sort of dropped off the radar and I have not gone back yet. I need to revisit that one as well. Very strong writing and character development in that series for sure.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2018, 10:38 AM   #1925
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Dig it, thanks for the response. I might check it out in this order then, so long as I would not be losing out on any character development or must-see easter eggs or anything. Sounds like each season stands completely independent of the others.

You are also making me want to pick up Mad Men again. That really was a good show. I got to like Season 3 or something years ago but got way to busy to continue for awhile at the time, then it just sort of dropped off the radar and I have not gone back yet. I need to revisit that one as well. Very strong writing and character development in that series for sure.

The AHS series are loosely overlapping, but in very small ways. Youíll see. Characters from one season may pop up on the periphery of another. But this didnít start until season 4. And itís very fleeting and weird because the same actors appear in different roles in most seasons, so to have one come back, even for a second, in a different role is to have them play two characters in one season, which is weird.

Every season takes place in a different location during a different time period wth a different group of characters and an often-overlapping cast. They exist in the same universe, but thereís no overarching story to be told. At least none that has revealed itself yet.
Old 01.19.2018, 04:38 PM   #1926
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
I started watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Jerry Seinfeld. It's an enjoyable show. Surprisingly my two favourite episodes were with Jimmy Fallon, who I usually can't stand.
Old 01.19.2018, 05:21 PM   #1927
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Babylon Berlin. Berlin in 1920's. Just really good.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2018, 10:23 PM   #1928
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
just downloaded more father ted for the weekend

i’m laughing in advance just thinking about it
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2018, 04:30 PM   #1929
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone been watching this series of Inside No. 9? Fuck is it good. Gotta rank as the most under-rated program out there right now. It gets the right level of dark comedy and tenderness. Episode 2 'Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room' was just perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Symbols, I think you'd love this one.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2018, 10:38 PM   #1930
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Anyone been watching this series of Inside No. 9? Fuck is it good. Gotta rank as the most under-rated program out there right now. It gets the right level of dark comedy and tenderness. Episode 2 'Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room' was just perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Jesus thereís so much tv and shit. Iíve literally never heard a single mention of this.
Old 01.25.2018, 03:29 PM   #1931
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Jesus there’s so much tv and shit. I’ve literally never heard a single mention of this.

It's totally flown under the radar here in the UK too. However, go on twitter after an episode has aired (Tuesdays) and you'll see that the people who are watching it are in agreeance at how brilliant it is.

To sum up, it's the same idea as Black Mirror (each episode is a different story and plays with your expectations), except a)funnier and b)not about dystopian futures and c)only half an hour long. From one story set around a six bed train carriage, to another based on a old variety act meeting together to rehearse for a reunion show, to one that's a silent episode based around the robbery of an expensive painting. Each story is so unique and just perfectly done. Love it.

Edit: sorry to waffle on about it. Everyone has that album, book, whatever where after seeing it they just wanna bang on to everyone about it.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2018, 03:33 PM   #1932
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Mrs. Instigator and I were very excited to see the return of Baskets.

what else we watching?

I am in the middle of a season 6 re-watch of DS9.

watching Ancient Impossible on Hulu. Cool stuff, detailing the magnificently advanced tech of our ancestors.

She has been watching This is Us but I don't care.

I am maybe the only one left eagerly awaiting the next season of Survivor.
Old 01.25.2018, 07:16 PM   #1933
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Mrs. Instigator and I were very excited to see the return of Baskets.

what else we watching?

I am in the middle of a season 6 re-watch of DS9.

watching Ancient Impossible on Hulu. Cool stuff, detailing the magnificently advanced tech of our ancestors.

She has been watching This is Us but I don't care.

I am maybe the only one left eagerly awaiting the next season of Survivor.

SURVIVOR IS STILL ON?!?!!

Fucking seriously?!
Old 01.26.2018, 08:40 AM   #1934
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
16 years. 32 seasons.
Old 01.26.2018, 09:08 AM   #1935
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

im moving tomorrow so my tv queue is a bit jammed up at the moment. surviving on a steady diet of father ted and grounded for life, which keep the laughs coming.

but thanks for the recommend. i’ll have to re-review this whole thread once i’m hooked up to the universe again. it appears (knock on wood, fingers crossed) i might be able to get a steady, non-capped connection to the planet. a slow one, but cheap and uncapped, which would be a very good thing if it can actually work. but we’ll see....
Old 01.26.2018, 09:39 AM   #1936
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I tried, after years of avoidance, to watch the premiere of the latest season of Ru Paul's Drag Race, and holy fuck I made it about 3 minutes. My wife and brother are huge fans and discuss it a lot, and I just do not understand the appeal.
Old 01.26.2018, 09:58 AM   #1937
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I tried, after years of avoidance, to watch the premiere of the latest season of Ru Paul's Drag Race, and holy fuck I made it about 3 minutes. My wife and brother are huge fans and discuss it a lot, and I just do not understand the appeal.
i donít know whatís the latest one cuz shit appears randomly on amazon/netflix but come onó these queens are real life heroes. the shit they go through for their dreams is just bananas. takes *a lot* of hard work to do this shit, plus the violence and discrimination they have to survive growing up, holy fuck, theyíre way tougher than the spandex-clad beefy men you watch slap each otherís buttís on weekends.

and the show is like a better and more talented survivor where you have to lipsynch fo yo life.

plus, itís hilariousóthe comedy queens are my favorite ones. THE LIBRARY IS OPEN haaaa haaaa haaaa haaa.

i havenít seen them all but i think earlier seasons were better as iíve noticed a peak and then a slow descent. never saw the first season.

iíd rather not name my favorite winners cuz spoilers but shitís addictive.
Old 01.26.2018, 10:25 AM   #1938
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i donít know whatís the latest one cuz shit appears randomly on amazon/netflix but come onó these queens are real life heroes. the shit they go through for their dreams is just bananas. takes *a lot* of hard work to do this shit, plus the violence and discrimination they have to survive growing up, holy fuck, theyíre way tougher than the spandex-clad beefy men you watch slap each otherís buttís on weekends.

All these things you say are true, and I have known this for decades. It has nothing to do with whether the show as aired is entertaining to me. I am a person that does not find any value in aggressive pretending. I have seen countless drag shows in bars and clubs and such. I don;t give a shit about the foundational aspects of drag, the obsession with superfluous and stereotypically feminine looks (for the most part. I know there is a wide range of drag performers, including avant garde and comedy, but those are riffs on the standard femenine queen trope)
I do not like any of the music they perform.
I can;t stand the acts they copy (Cher, Lady Gaga, Tina Turner, Celine Dion, Judy Garland, whoever. They mean nothing to me and my life, except as signposts that I need to get away from their horrible "music")
I do not enjoy extremely affected fake accents, mannerisms, and reactions, especially when done in an attention-grabbing "look at ME!!!" way. I find that shit sad.

I do not find their humor particularly funny.
Old 01.26.2018, 10:49 AM   #1939
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
All these things you say are true, and I have known this for decades. It has nothing to do with whether the show as aired is entertaining to me. I am a person that does not find any value in aggressive pretending. I have seen countless drag shows in bars and clubs and such. I don;t give a shit about the foundational aspects of drag, the obsession with superfluous and stereotypically feminine looks (for the most part. I know there is a wide range of drag performers, including avant garde and comedy, but those are riffs on the standard femenine queen trope)
I do not like any of the music they perform.
I can;t stand the acts they copy (Cher, Lady Gaga, Tina Turner, Celine Dion, Judy Garland, whoever. They mean nothing to me and my life, except as signposts that I need to get away from their horrible "music")
I do not enjoy extremely affected fake accents, mannerisms, and reactions, especially when done in an attention-grabbing "look at ME!!!" way. I find that shit sad.

I do not find their humor particularly funny.

i know what you mean because i used to see it that way too but it’s not about pretense

the great american philosopher ru-paul (ha ha) coined this phrase i’ve seen reposted elsewhere— we’re all born naked, everything else is drag.

i’d like to believe im an unfashionable dude who wears the same uniform every day cuz i don’t give a shit about clothes but maybe that’s just pretense. maybe your beard and glasses are also pretense. the grey suit and tie, pretense. the janitor uniform, pretense. all pretense.

but it’s not really about pretense— it’s about performance and self-expression. as much as we’d like to think we’re “natural” and “act natural” we all perform our social roles. we have to. we act a certain way in certain contexts, we act another way in others. the current shitstorm of social media, people getting fired from their jobs for posting things on twitter, happens when people naively blur the boundary between public and private personas.

so we’re all have our personas— our masks— we wear at the parties we’re at.

drag queens are just more aware and self-conscious about this.

as for their ideals of femininity, you’re right, they’re stereotypical and, depending on context, oppressive. a drag queen is more feminine than the average woman—which says something about the whole institution of femininity. not sure if you ever saw americas next top model (i saw the first season bakc in the day), but they’d bring a drag queen to teach the ladies how to walk! yep.

anyway i agree with your prespectives i swear, i hate the music too and i think it’s foolish to chase money and fame and glitter, but at the same time i admire those queens for their massive show of balls in the face of a mainstream culture that would have no compunction exterminating them, and the whole nietzschean transvaluation of values they perform for their own benefit and their right to exist and thrive in full view of the disapproving public.

you’re right that in our usual context the “look at me” is sad, and i’m usually very hostile to the average attention whore, but when you see the attention whoring as a means of overcoming oppression it suddenly becomes a glorious thing to behold— a fight for survival and for freedm. and those queens don’t demand that you look at them just becuz— they really work fucking hard not just to deserve but ultimately to command that look.

ultimately, it is a display of male power, just like in traditional sports, but it’s gender-bending instead of gender-reinforcing, and thus punk and revolutionary as fuck—this in spite of its apparent reinforcement of oppresive discourse on its outward expressions.

they’re showing us that in social life everything is surface and that you can choose your own mask instead just of receiving your assigned one. i think they’re fucking great. well, not all of them— the show has both sublime heroes and despicable villains. lots of drama ha ha ha ha ha.
Old 01.26.2018, 10:55 AM   #1940
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I can appreciate all the show does, but it is not entertaining to me.

The only comparison I can think of is when my wife and I watch a documentary about Egypt. I geek out HARD over the technology and science behind the many attempts to explore ancient ruins, and deeply appreciate the patience and rigor of the awesome scientists as they work for year sometimes to gather the data they need. I find that deeply engrossing.

My wife, however, could give a flying fuck about that shit. She wants to know and learn new substantive information about Egypt itself, which in documentaries like the one I describe above, is really a secondary matter. She is just waiting to see what the discovery is (which of course is the very last thing they discuss).

When it comes to Drag Race, my bro and my wife love it like I state in the former, while I sit purely like my wife in the latter example. I find the endless posturing and snark and catfighting deeply boring, an superfluous to the actual "competition" that is supposed to be taking place.
87949596 97 9899100 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth