Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Yr. Favourite SY Live Moments
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.11.2008, 03:04 PM   #1
raging_nelly
stalker

raging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's asses
Hey all,

I was just thinking, what are yr. favourite SY live moments of all time?
I mean from anything you've seen/heard. Boots, youTube, actually seeing them live... whatever man! It's all good!

Hopefully post yr. favourite moments up as well to share with everyone else?

(illustrate favourite moments of actually seeing them live with the closest fitting pic or something)

I'll post mine up soon once I can think of my favourites (so much stuff to wade through in my mind... it's all so good!)

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

www.myspace.com/myboyslashmygirl

www.dischordmusic.blogspot.com

raging_nelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 03:08 PM   #2
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Pittsburgh 2003- free show in Point State Park. There was hedge in front of the stage, so at one point during the outro to Karenology they started rubbing their guitars in it.

Same show: Thurston,"we'd like you to all come up to the front of the stage, but there is this garden and there are guards that will throw you up in the air like matrix"

Pittsburgh Mr. Small 2005: Thurston asked for a pick and I threw mine up onto the stage. It was an eminence "patriot speaker" pick, and so Lee picks it up and says "this ones got the American flag on it" and hands it to Thurston and they proceed to rock out.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 03:11 PM   #3
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Seeing them in Toronto, 2006... (I've said it before, but it's still soo funny)
They seemed to be getting to the point of a big burst of noise/climax, and Thurston jumps, and upon landing, lands on his patchcord and rips it from the guitar, ending with a really cool, but anti-climactic, bzazazazadasxsax-jick.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 03:25 PM   #4
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
the one from Dublin in 06. in noisy outro where Thurston's guitar fell off the stage, smashed guitar neck, coz stage was bit high, then trying to get offstage to get his guitar he wet himself in water tank under. that's the funny one. pity it's not captured, so funny.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 03:32 PM   #5
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
was at that 03 pittsburgh show, my favorite part was if you recall before sympathy for the strawberry kim asking jim if he was alright, it being so hot out and him back in those days wearing 3 layers of cardigan and nearly passing out

the two that really stick out though were DC 06 where Thurston dropped his guitar on my head as seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RY7R-rm9n4

and Portland 06 which Lee came on here and said was the best show of the tour, if you haven't heard it, get a copy
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 03:48 PM   #6
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
DC, '06. early show. kim calls out my snoopy shirt from the stage.

YES.

this moment can also be heard on a circulated recording of said show.
Old 03.11.2008, 04:16 PM   #7
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
witnessing the SY/Lightning Bolt encore.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 04:22 PM   #8
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Hearing Tom Violence, Schizophrenia, and Teenage Riot for the first time.

Death Valley 69

NYC Ghosts and Flowers
Old 03.11.2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
Sacramento - July 06 at the Empire.

It was during the noise freak out part of the show. Thurston stuck his guitar on one of the fixtures extending out from the ceiling of the venue. He took his hands away and the guitar was still stuck there. I believe someone posted a picture of this in the Sonic Sharing section. I also remember him jumping out onto the crowd during this part too.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 06:24 PM   #10
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Pittsburgh Mr. Small 2005: Thurston asked for a pick and I threw mine up onto the stage. It was an eminence "patriot speaker" pick, and so Lee picks it up and says "this ones got the American flag on it" and hands it to Thurston and they proceed to rock out.

that's fucking kewl man!
oh hey, you really are from pittsburgh pennsylvania!
that's George A. Romero's land! AAAAH! killer...
Old 03.11.2008, 06:45 PM   #11
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The slight excitement at the idea of seeing them live right before I saw the ticket price.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 08:46 PM   #12
jess
empty page

jess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud ofjess has much to be proud of
what a hard question!!! i think that was the first time they played in Mexico in 2004, i really wasn't there, but everyone says was the best concert ever, ans of curse, i think the concert of february 24 of the past year, because i was there!!!!best moments: shaking hell, bull in the heather, teenage riot, xpressway to yr skull, reena, well i think the whole concert...mote...every song, jajaja to tell the truth i wrote a song about that moment,(yes, i'm mad)here is:

The ritual

And you are there, and I am here.
My breath is going, I can’t see clear.
But then you sparkle and shine the room.
The heaven fall down, there’s no more gloom.

My ears are trembling, it’s angel’s song.
The devil came up and sings along.
The prostrated subjects, the crowd is mad.
Your sound is insane and so sexual.

It’s a cosmic experience, a mystical noise.
My lips and legs are moving at once.
Our dancing bodies belong to you.
You give your music in offer too.

Here’s hell and heaven in human’s land.
There is no good or neither bad.
The art is art and nothing else:
Spirit’s orgy, a total cleanse.

It’s a love to beauty, a love to crap.
The nicest moment I’ve ever had.
Shaking heaven, shaking hell…
As your harmonious notes is floating in the air.

Your rhythmic bases and magical chords,
Makes our heartbeats go faster and stop.
This fantastic ritual has finally end,
We’ll wait for the next time you come back again.
jess is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 10:19 PM   #13
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I could have seen them live.

This also makes me think I need to get more video bootlegs.

I only have one right now...from (I think) 2003...
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2008, 10:26 PM   #14
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
the first time i saw them on letterman playing bull in the heather.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 04:05 AM   #15
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
and Portland 06 which Lee came on here and said was the best show of the tour, if you haven't heard it, get a copy

I was at that show! It was the best show I've seen of SY or any other band. I thought it was awesome when Lee played Happy Birthday for Coco during the noise outro part of Mote. Later he mentioned to the audience that he had done that and then mumbled that the we'd be able to just listen to the recording of the concert later and hear it.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 04:10 AM   #16
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
At the Daydream Nation concert, when SY'd be playing a quiet/melodic part of a song, then the song would speed up/get louder (eg. Teen Age Riot, Candle etc.) and Thurston would start headbanging, jumping around, swishing his hair around.
During the encores of that show, they'd be playing stuff from Rather Ripped and Kim would do her spinning dance.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 04:58 AM   #17
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
in paris jazz a la villette festival last september, there was something wrong with Lees guitar...
so thurston started to sing: lees guitar is not working i have to do acapella... (or smting like that)
sonicL yelling: DRUMSOLO!

and i heard on some bootleg (i wasnt there cause i was probably 7 by then - EVOL tour) thurston introduces the song: this song is for everybody named jesus! they start playing shake in hell...

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 05:00 AM   #18
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I like the part where they make noise.
Old 03.12.2008, 05:01 AM   #19
wills123
little trouble girl

wills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asseswills123 kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I actually saw a member of SY in the flesh was in Liverpool on the Goo tour when Lee came on and sang backing vocals with Teenage Fanclub. Everything Flows I think but it was a long time ago!
wills123 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2008, 05:05 AM   #20
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Also seeing Mark Ibold headbanging backstage during Eliminator Jr was totally awesome.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth