Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page sonic chronology for every relevant event in your life.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.16.2008, 06:28 PM   #1
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
okay this is a fucked up list that's why it's fun and belongs to SONIC YOUTH GOSSIP.
Think about all those records/songs/bands that remind you of people, situations, phases, good and bad memories. Make a list and post it here.

---

I made mine because I wanted to share my deepest darkest secrets (the bad music) with you guys and because i'm emo and bored. so here it goesss

(music chronology. educational self help introspective shit.)

/I'll start with 2003 because I don't remember caring much about new music before that, I don't remember much about anything before I was 14 actually:moved to canada with my father after a fucked up childhood. I listened to
Garbage and Dido.

15 year old teen angst -
Nirvana. Nirvana was suicidal comfort. I think every rock oriented kid has had Nirvanitis.

my first kickass concert and first joint:
The White Stripes. I remember being a loner and spending all my lunch money on cds. I discovered good bands (that sounded the same), I was into detroit rock then. So pretencious! The Stooges. The Gories. The Go. Soledad Brothers. And I was a chilean girl living in Toronto.

after several fights with my father (he came out of the closet and I hated him for it) we came back to Chile. he went to buy cigarettes and never came back. I'd listen to
In Utero everyday (Nirvanitis had its first anniversary)

Entered rehab for manic depression in March 2004- I spent more time reading than listening to music here. it's funny, I read The Catcher in the Rye all through my 10 day clinic experience... Seeing double was fun. Still I had my CD player with the detroit shit,
Velvet Underground and Smashing Pumpkins.

My post rehab drugged happy self:
THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON and Pink Floyd. I remember being high on anti depressives was like smoking Guna Guna. Björk was there too. Jimi Hendrix. Pixies. and then...

I came back living with my mom, it was a mess, went to my grandmother's.
Bernard Herrman. (yes, with the london philarmonic, Hitchcock soundtracks were creepy fun) The Who. The Libertines. The Runaways. Patti Smith. Led Zep. Interpol. It was a mix of trendy NY bullshit with Classic Rock.

My life and music got better later that year: I met
Portishead, Sonic Youth, Blonde Redhead and I fell in love, had my first hetero sex with Misery is a Butterfly, my first lesbo sex with Dummy etc.

2005: this year was fun; I had a huge crush on this gothpunk cokehead anorexic vegan boy. He introduced me to
Siouxsie, the Cure,Joy Division, drugs and booze and Neubaten.

I dyed my hair hot pink and dressed in thrift stores. Of course, I was smoking brown weed and failing school, but I had friends and fun and living the leisure class life.
Sex Pistols.

July 2005: My dad called. He was livin' la vida loca in the south- I guess he got bored of casual anal sex or felt guilty about something and realized he had left a daughter behind.
BOSSA NOVA and JAZZ. My hair still pink, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto, Coltrane, Nina Simone, Ella. He gave me all his CDs I don't know why, but it was the best gift ever.
He also gave me 5 marijuana plants, 1 skang. (I had no idea how to grow weed then so I fucked it up)

September 2005: I helped my history teacher with some english translations; there was an international school project going on about Global Citizenship. 5 schools from 5 countries involved (Austria, Netherlands, Cameroon, Italy and Chile). I did a good work (I guess that's why I didn't drop out) and to my surprise, a student meeting came up. Location: The Netherlands. I was thrilled. Even more surprising: my classmates voted for me to attend. So I went there and it was fucking amazing.
The Velvet Underground, Laurie Anderson. I met the most beautiful people, it was just 10 days but we built friendship and I'm still in touch with the Austrians.
So yeah it was a good year until it ended and depression made its appearance again.

2006: Last year of highschool. Shitty year. My psychiatrist gave me lithium and it fucked me up.
Joy Division and every other manic depressive music. I remember nothing.

2007: entered Film School. Bunch of hippies and frat boys. I realized how much I hate
the Beatles. Got good grades, got drunk, got bored. I listened more to Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation, Goo and Murray ZZstreet was all I knew) and I met noise and rock and it was all very inspiring and crazy (yes I'm being sarcastic, the drugs and alcoholism lied to me with bullshit concepts of art and living the moment that lead me nowhere, sticking to my shitty Film School km²)

ANYWAY, the present. I left Film School 5 months ago, I couldn't let the bullshit go any further. 3 semesters is enough.
Early
Sonic Youth, Throwing Muses, Hendrix cheer me up. I could make a biographic psychological report linked to my last.fm charts but I think I'm going to keep it to myself, this is enough./

It's funny how music affects emotions and self indulgence and its link with memory. It can be beneficial or have a negative effect, either way it's a factor in my life.
OK now tell me about yours.
ihateyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2008, 06:31 PM   #2
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
the yellow text looks like shit.
Old 11.16.2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
good thread, i don't have time to write a full list at the moment though but the first thing that springs to mind is riding the subway in tokyo in 2001 and listening to james brown on my walkman
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2008, 07:22 PM   #4
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
As a teen i would listen to just about any French variété / FM rock thhat i would stumble upon. Serious business started when i turned 12 and started to hang out with a dude form school that was the perfect ANTI-ME (as far as social background and basic education were concerned), it turned me to thrash and death metal and i spent two whole years listening exclsuively to early Sepultura and Obituary. At the same time i discovered Nirvana. When I turned 15 i turned to less eltitst (ha ha) muzak with another friend who made me listen Hendrix et all while i was starting to learn how to play drums i a school cover band. Shit we were POPULAR, playing RHCP covers. meh!! Good times though, i didn't knwo any better. With another friend i stated to smoke pot rather heavily at week ends and we would listen to the Doors in his car while realizing the car was shaking (that's the pot).
I discovered most of the music i listen to now when i turned 17, going to college / uni in a bigger city with proper music stores. Pixies, Sebadoh, Pavement and SY with Washing Machine back in 1995.
I have countless memories listening to SY. Wild sex on coke with Diamond Sea, considering killing myself for real listening to ATL a few years later...
Then i tuned to mathrock via Don Cab and haven't ceased exploring ever since.
While in england for a year, i turned to jazz Coltrane, Miles etc..
Another Friend turned me to the Gastr Grubbs O'Rourke Sea and cake, tortoise constellation back in 1999. That was good.
He also made me listen to Endless summer by Fennesz that same year thus leading me to more experimental stuff. What was good is that the O'Rourke, Toral breach was somehow heavily related to SY in which i was already totally into.

You know it could go one for ever.
yeah.
stream of consciousness writing a la Batreleaser sorry.
Old 11.16.2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
12-13=Classic rock-Zeppelin, Doors, Floyd
13-15=Big 3 Punk bands (Pistols, Ramones, Clash), more Doors, Mars Volta, At The Drive-in
...then in late October/early November of my sophomore year of High School I bought Daydream Nation, cue SY, Pixies, My Bloody Valentine
15-18=SY, Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, with some post-punk and goth
18-about 3 months ago=lots of SY and shoegaze with a good smattering of indie rock
3 months ago-present=loads of Bauhaus, The Cure, Skinny Puppy and the resurgence of Punk of all kinds. Hardcore, Horror, Post-Hardcore, Straght-edge, you name it.
Old 11.16.2008, 07:59 PM   #6
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting thread idea. Instead of important world events, I actually measure my own life's events against what Sonic Youth were doing at the time. Kinda lame I know, but unless you measure dates against something else it just becomes meaningless numbers.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2008, 08:05 PM   #7
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
pre-16: Utter crap mostly, I owned a Jeff Buckley album, that says enough. I'm at secondary school, a good studious young man, well behaved, quiet. Never kissed a girl, scrawny young lad who had bearly hit puberty and was far smaller than his mates, dangerously effeminate, crap at sports. Good group of mates, but kids are cruel (particularly at my school) so no one does anything out of the ordinary. I wind up with the best GCSEs in the school, but it doesn't please me whatsoever. Like any spotty masturbating 15 year old I adore Led Zeppelin. My music comes from my parents' in hindsight quite small taste - Zep, Beatles, Kate Bush, bit of Genesis. I pretty much know nothing about music at this point.

16/first year of college: Easily the most lonely year of my life. I found it pretty difficult too make friends. Spend most of my time by myself, studying hard. I become distant from the friends I had at school. My brother leaves to work and live in Africa, our relationship desintigrates entirely. I don't see him at all from then until now accept for a few weeks each year. Left with just my parents. But this is also most important year of my life in terms of making me who I am now. Firstly I discover music I have a massive passion for; Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd. I become a music fan when I buy (and overlisten too) The Madcap Laughs and Piper At The Gates. I meet a guy at my first ever job who introduces me to the world of alternative music- It's not the same type of alt. music I explore now, but those CDs I bought (which, shockingly for the time, no one had heard of) still mean alot to me today, largely trip hop and turntabalism, Portishead, Massive Attack, N.O.W, some acid jazz and a bit of rap. I also did things which were'nt wise, I got heavily into weed, and spent most of my earning on the stuff. It only makes me more paranoid and socially inept at college.

17/second year of college: A good year, largely for one reason- GIRLS. Or rather 'girl', I get a girlfriend basically. I have my first kiss and loose my virginity in the same year. I love her very much, she understands me and loves me back, and I love being around her because I make her laugh so much. I start hanging around with guys I knew from school again more now, and to my surprise they're fans of this 'alternative music' thing too, ones a little Gothlet and another is a fledgling fan of extreme metal. We hang around eachother's places alot, smoking weed and making eachother mix CDs and then review them. Some of the best times of my life. I still smoke shit loads of weed, and my girlfriend doesn't approve of this. I explore further hip hop and now a bit of alternative rock. I start collecting vinyl, a big move in my approach too music and also my life in general, cos I start blowing all my money on music and not weed, I loose interest in the drug. I'm into hip-hop in a big way now, more rap than before - Tribe, De La, Public Enemy, Common and what have you. Alt rock- MBV, Echo & The Bunnymen, Can, Velvet Underground and my first SY album were bought in this time, though I didn't think much of them at this time. My relationship desintigrates soon after finally taking eachother's virginitys, we go to India for a month and here it becomes apparent it is irrepairable.

18/ Art Foundation course: Can some up this year in 2 words. SONIC LIFE! I become an obbsessive SY fan and spend much of the year blowing my money on their material. I explore Noise-Rock and experimental music further. By this point I think I'm pretty clued up on music, and know whats out there for me. I start clubbing which boosts my confidence hugely, I start enjoying being who I am and feeling interesting for the first time. I start taking class A and class B drugs at clubs, a decision I have yet too regret and defend wholly. I discover the joys of live music. Starting with my first real gig that I go to myself Damo Suzuki's Network and ending with MBV just before I become 19. I discover I am bi-sexual. I do things on my own instead of waiting on my mates, and therefore discover how to meet people and talk to strangers properly. I become an artist rather than an art student, I ace my course and come away from the course with a very strong friendship. Bad end to the year, some heavy shit goes down in my friendship group, I get pretty down, but largely I needed a change of scene after living, studying and working in the same place...

19/Uni- I move out and go to live and study in London. Only been 19 for a few monthes, but so far the uni experience has been awesome, drugs, alcohol, clubbing, boy-nookie, studying art alongside old and new friends. When it isn't great, life is exciting because tomorrow is unexpected and anything can happen. I start truely listening too what I want too rather than what I'm expected too, develop some fucking shameless guilty pleasures life Grace Jones and Be Your Own Pet. Life is good.

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 11.16.2008, 08:22 PM   #8
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I can't remember much of my musical history. When I was young into NIRVANA. I mean this was probably 6th grade which means I was like 12/13? but yeah I was into a lot of music my brother was into. He's 10 years older than me. So his high school music taste consisted of A LOT of Pearl Jam and Nirvana, which are two of my faves now. I was really into a lot of mainstream shit (RHCP, White Stripes, U2, The Hives, The Vines, Mars Volts). Once freshman year started....smokin' pot became more of a routine and Led Zep and Floyd entered my library. Soon after that....Sonic Youth. After beginning to listen to SY I started to investigate different sounds. After that, the internet became my best friend. Blonde Redhead, Arcade Fire, Dino Jr., Jefferson Airplane and Velvet underground.

Ever since the day I listened to SY, my taste in music was changed forever...kind of.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I never had a "Nirvana" phase. It would seem like I would have, but I never did.
Old 11.16.2008, 08:34 PM   #10
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe now is the time? Listen to In Utero.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2008, 08:40 PM   #11
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Oh, I've listened to everything they've put out, but I was never "ZOMG! Nirvana are one of the best bands ever". Their best song is the cover of "Where Did Your Sleep Last Night", aside from that, I can't be bothered with anything else.
Old 11.16.2008, 08:41 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
the only nirvana song I ever listened to very much was aneurysm. And arguably marigold.

Anyway, one time I heard Captain Beefheart and it blew my mind. The end.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2008, 08:47 PM   #13
ihateyouth
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Oh, I've listened to everything they've put out, but I was never "ZOMG! Nirvana are one of the best bands ever". Their best song is the cover of "Where Did Your Sleep Last Night", aside from that, I can't be bothered with anything else.

Too old for Nirvana. Never too old for the lolcats.
Old 11.16.2008, 08:57 PM   #14
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Ha ha!

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 11.16.2008, 09:30 PM   #15
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

Meh

~~Record of the moment~~
Old 11.16.2008, 09:38 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

Old 11.16.2008, 09:38 PM   #17
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

^ his O face?
Old 11.16.2008, 09:40 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Old 11.16.2008, 09:47 PM   #19
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
started liking simple catchy music and got complicated as did my life.

some times it's not that complicated so i still listen to simple catchy music occasionally.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2008, 10:04 PM   #20
ihateyouth
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

haha! yeah, really.

sonicpark: the will smith post is a fail. why don't you tell me what were you listening to when you saw your first Kitano film?

: )

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth