Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page schizophrenia
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.19.2008, 10:47 AM   #1
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
do you have any expieriances with it? ever known anyone that has it?

ever read any R.D. Laing?

i was told i have it but after spending a long time researching it i find it hard even use the word now, too many different meanings and interpretations.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 10:51 AM   #2
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i feel kinda trapped with it because i get afraid ill get sectioned and forced into a pyschiatric hospital and forced to take SSRI's and various other assorted meds. Been on 6 different ones already and they fucked my brain something serious. worry sometimes theyve done permanent damage.

its not like im going do anything bad that would get me sectioned. far from it, im a shy and probably over polite person. just worry that if i was to speak to a doctor about what i think they would basically incarcerate me.

the mental health bill that labour signed in is fucking facistic in the worse sense. now the state has the power to deem anyone mentally ill and lock them up and put them on forced medication. a policeman can just decide yr nuts if he chooses. brings to mind very worrying possibilites. what right does the state have to decide what is sane and what is insane?
Old 09.19.2008, 10:54 AM   #3
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
ni'k - I once thought that I had elements of SZ, due to ongoing M Health issues. If it's OK with you, I'll PM you about this later on and discuss w/you my experiences and stuff

As for a professional diagnosis, it seems that psychiatrists themselves have many different criteria for SZ diagnosis, which of course doesn't help you tin trying to get a full and proper diagnosis and treatment.

Whatever you are going through at the moment though, my thoughts are with you
Old 09.19.2008, 11:00 AM   #4
ni'k
invito al cielo

yeah PM away.

there are so many different criteria because its used as a wastebasket diagnosis - anything that they cant figure out gets labelled as schizophrenia.
Old 09.19.2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
i feel kinda trapped with it because i get afraid ill get sectioned and forced into a pyschiatric hospital and forced to take SSRI's and various other assorted meds. Been on 6 different ones already and they fucked my brain something serious. worry sometimes theyve done permanent damage.

its not like im going do anything bad that would get me sectioned. far from it, im a shy and probably over polite person. just worry that if i was to speak to a doctor about what i think they would basically incarcerate me.

the mental health bill that labour signed in is fucking facistic in the worse sense. now the state has the power to deem anyone mentally ill and lock them up and put them on forced medication. a policeman can just decide yr nuts if he chooses. brings to mind very worrying possibilites. what right does the state have to decide what is sane and what is insane?

if you don't want to take pills, don't take pills. speak up for yourself. tell them all to go fuck themselves with a meat cleaver if you don't believe what they say. you are the only one in control of yourself, ultimately.

btw youre free to PM me if you want to but it's okay if you dont.

i have no idea if i have an actual disorder but i definitely have mental problems. according to a doctor i spoke with not long i belong in inpatient psychiatric treatment. but i don't trust doctors. they just want your money anyway.
Old 09.19.2008, 11:24 AM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
do you have any expieriances with it? ever known anyone that has it?

i know this guy who spent the 70s on heavy doses of haldol-- haldol or thorazine was it? he was mentally ill. in a big way.

eventually he got cured & worked in arts-related pursuits.

i haven't seen him since maybe 2002 (he left the country w/ this woman he married), but he was doing very well.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 11:38 AM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
[edit: fucking conscience stikes again. wtf is wrong with me? I can't make fun of anybody anymore without feeling bad]
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 03:43 PM   #8
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
My friend did acid every day for a month or two awhile back, he was probably 18, and around 19 or so maybe 20 he started hearing voices in his car radio telling him to drive to places. So he would drive until he was out of gas, then play guitar for money to get home...but he couldn't play a note on the guitar so he must have been strumming randomly.

They put him on anti-psychotics after he spent awhile in a home...

badstuff

besides that...

the SONG is Amazing!
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 06:22 PM   #9
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
I have an uncle who was diagnosed schizophrenic. He's recovered now or at-least isn't dangerous anymore.

My mum doesn't talk about it but every so often will let a detail slip. He used to wear two watches, one with the current time on his right-hand and one with the time in two hours on his left-hand (to help him plan what he was going to do later that day): one day a watch stopped working and he got confused as to the real time and started screaming in the middle of the street.

He got sectioned after putting a broken kettle in the microwave to ‘boil the kettle’. Obviously it started a big fire.

Apparently my mum just thought he was ‘a bit of a character’ until he started telling her he was Phil Collin's manager and best friend. Being such a big fan of Phil Collins that you wish he was your best friend is a sure sign of mental-illness.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 06:29 PM   #10
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
My father is a manic depressive. Thankfully we're not blood related so I don't have it.

He used to get really bad paranoia and would stay up for about a week at a time with no sleep whatsoever. Why on earth my mother (once again not blood related... they're both psycho) married him, I have no idea. I guess he used to go through phases with it and would be fine one day and have to pack up and move the next day because of this paranoia.

These days he still has manic episodes but they're controlled by the lithium he's on so they're not nearly as severe. When I was a little girl maybe about 5 years old he used to yell in my face about nothing in particular telling me what a horrible person I am (for a 5 year old... yeah, that's pretty intense) and not too much has changed since then except he doesn't do it as often.

Moral of the story: if someone is paranoid and taking lithium, stay the fuck away from them.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 06:39 PM   #11
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
if you don't want to take pills, don't take pills. speak up for yourself. tell them all to go fuck themselves with a meat cleaver if you don't believe what they say. you are the only one in control of yourself, ultimately.

btw youre free to PM me if you want to but it's okay if you dont.

i have no idea if i have an actual disorder but i definitely have mental problems. according to a doctor i spoke with not long i belong in inpatient psychiatric treatment. but i don't trust doctors. they just want your money anyway.

Cantankers comes up with an excellent point here - DON'T take the opinions of "experts" as gospel truth. And Inpatient stays do nothing for the patients at all, in the long term...

ni'k - I WILL PM you when I'm ready (ie not now - just back from the pub).

To all MH sufferers - keep the faith, you have my support xxx
Old 09.19.2008, 07:12 PM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i knew someone that had it. he was called chris and happened to be at my friends house when two other people called chris were there as well. my friend rigged up the tv through a delay pedal and i messed with the settings while they all watched. it was interesting results.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 07:22 PM   #13
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i knew someone that had it. he was called chris and happened to be at my friends house when two other people called chris were there as well. my friend rigged up the tv through a delay pedal and i messed with the settings while they all watched. it was interesting results.

jon boy, with all due respect, that's pretty fucked up, and not in a good way either. SZ/MH issues aren't amusing (I know), and that sounds pretty heartless, frankly.
Old 09.19.2008, 07:35 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I have a couple of close friends who are schizophrenic, it can be very interesting to say the least...

the medical treatment and so-called medication which is given to people with these conditions is horrifyingly abusive to their own individual humanity. While schizophrenia is a disease, it is one that is intimately connected with the personality and mental processes of the individual, so that as you systematically remove the vestiges of the disease, you inadvertently destroy the individual as well, and this is precisely why most schizophrenic people that I know relapse from any kinds of treatment they are on and go AWOL from time to time to binge in the depths of their distorted perception of the world...

I also think that Jung's work in the 60s connecting LSD trips and schizophrenic episodes is right on target. He suggested that schizophrenics be allowed, under psychological guidance and medical support, to continue through their episode as if it were an LSD trip, so that at the end of the episode they come down just like someone who is tripping. further, Jung suggests that dramatically attacking the disease in the midst of an episode is as catastrophic for the person as is interrupting someone in the middle of an acid trip, and that the result will be the same in a schizophrenic person as a tripping one, a bad fucking trip. his approach was sort of laissez faire

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 07:40 PM   #15
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
jon boy, with all due respect, that's pretty fucked up, and not in a good way either. SZ/MH issues aren't amusing (I know), and that sounds pretty heartless, frankly.

he asked us too and he thought it was pretty funny. it was for about a minute.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2008, 07:54 PM   #16
foxforce5
bad moon rising

foxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's asses
If the definition of schizophrenia seems either vague or all encompassing, I’d assume it’s because you haven’t been trained in the field. Related disorders, (schizotypal, schizoid personality disorder, schizoaffective, as well as depression or substance abuse with psychotic features) can look very similar to schizophrenia. Don’t try to diagnose yourself.

I live in the US and was diagnosed with schizophrenia 3 years ago. I’m 28. I was deemed a threat to myself by a doctor and institutionalized for 5 weeks. It sucked. I’m still alive, though. The state agreed with my doctor about the diagnosis, so now I can receive medicaid which allows me access to medication I could otherwise not afford. I decided a year and a half ago I wasn’t crazy so I quit my meds, and it’s only been in the last week that I’ve decided to resume them, after the symptoms began to sprout up faster than I could manage them.
foxforce5 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2008, 10:12 AM   #17
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
he asked us too and he thought it was pretty funny. it was for about a minute.

He did? Ah. OK, I should've thought of that. No hassles then, sir
Old 09.20.2008, 10:14 AM   #18
ni'k
invito al cielo

im not trying to diagnose myself, altho i guess i am. uh... i dont want to, but it might help to explain things. i mean id rather be able to say i have hallucinations than im seeing ghosts haha
Old 09.20.2008, 10:21 AM   #19
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
oh actually i just remembered from talking about her this morning.
my godmother's daughter is severely schizophrenic and she burnt their house down with a curling iron. i haven't seen her in years but she's definitely a bit mad.
Old 09.20.2008, 10:37 AM   #20
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

ni'k - have just sent you a PM, good sir...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth