Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Lou Barlow reviews new Sabbath LP
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.25.2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view...-black-sabbath People should do more like this.
Old 10.25.2013, 09:58 AM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Fantastic review except for this part..

Quote:
The second song is called "God Is Dead?" Back in the day, God was alive and well in a Sabbath song — the whole satanic aspect of the band was a misunderstanding.

I think that song went way over Lou's head. That song wasn't a middle-school "I hate God" rant, it was the exact same kind of self-reflection that marked masterpiece albums like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Master of Reality. It was a critical self-reflection, but it didn't diss God, it was a reflection on the struggles of faith in a challenging world, much like many early Sabbath songs. In fact, the song finishes with this lyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sabbath
I don't believe that God is dead

Great album. I didn't think I would like this album but I really dig it, not enough to fairly compare it to 1968-1979 era Sabbath, but definitely a solid record and better than Iommi's 2002 disaster "Iommi-Hughes" record which sounded like a terrible nu-metal/Metallica version of Iommi music. 13 is unfortunately not the same without Bill Ward, period, end of sentence. Sabbath should never have dissed him on this "reunion" as much as Bill is a damned Kareem-Abdul Jabar curmudgeon the guy is one of the best metal drummers of all time, scratch that, THEE best, and is the definition of the "Sabbath sound".

fantastic review, thanks for posting

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth