Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Give me Good Pop
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.20.2007, 06:26 PM   #101
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I always think Human League were a bit too knowing to qualify purely as pop. As much as I liked them, they had a bit of a Paul Morley vibe about them. Same with ABC.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2007, 09:42 PM   #102
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
they had a bit of a Paul Morley vibe about them. Same with ABC.

that is an excellent sumation. and paul morely is a prick.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2007, 09:48 PM   #103
Ono Soul
little trouble girl

Ono Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's asses
Well, of course it all depends on what you mean exactly by "pop", but when it comes to transcendent pop/rock you can not top Evan Dando and The Lemonheads for my money's worth. "Lovey", "It's A Shame About Ray", "Come On Feel The Lemonheads" and "Car Button Cloth" are all classics. I would also highly recommend his recent solo albums "Live at The Brattle Theatre" and "Baby I'm Bored", as well as last year's most excellent, self-titled Lemonheads album. Evan rules!
Ono Soul is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2007, 08:02 AM   #104
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Pop music is hard to define but easy to recognise. I always think that in essence The Supremes were the quintessential pop group. A number of bands, like ABC, The Human League, the Pet Shop Boys, etc, play with the idea of pop, but the result of this is that they ultimately produced something altogether quite different.

Irony is the great enemy of pop. After punk, it became increasingly difficult to play pop 'straight', hence the whole Trevor Horn era (in the UK anyway) which was more about using pop in order to make statements about it.

Hey, I just managed to say all of that without once mentioning the word postmodern.

Dohhh.
Old 07.21.2007, 08:09 AM   #105
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Trevor Horn did Tatu though, didn't he? Who were, as I'm sure you'll know, entirely brilliant. A friend has a theory that if they were a little more underground and cool a lot more people would realise that their albums are entirely brilliant, and I rather agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2007, 08:52 AM   #106
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Tatu are an incredible band. I've got nothing against the more ironic strand of pop at all. All that i'm saying is that it's a very different attitude.

It's difficult to talk about pop as some kind of unified concept given these obvious differences. Girls Aloud are perhaps the closest thing in Britain at the moment to the earlier Motown model. Too many others have screwed things up by insisting on writing their own material.

But, to stress the point, Tatu are amazingly good.
Old 07.24.2007, 08:46 AM   #107
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Agreed. It's a lot easier in person, methinks. Which reminds me, I'm due a trip up to the big gay smoke at some point, must catch up for a pint.

Give us a shout when you are in London, and let's have a racist pint for the sake of racism. Racist.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2007, 07:15 AM   #108
sarramkrop

I always forget to mention Saint Etienne. They have so many memorable songs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth