Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The comic book thread of comic books
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2016, 10:40 PM   #121
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Now read 2012's Before Watchmen prequel. I haven't read it in full, but I want to.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2016, 10:46 PM   #122
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Omg. That whole book. Amazing, tragic, profound.

There's some interesting backstory from a publishing perspective as well. The Watchmen were inspired by characters from Charlton Comics (Captain Atom = Doctor Manhatten; Nightshade = Silk Soectre; Thunderbolt = Ozymandias, etc), which DC purchased the rights to in the '80s.

The original plan for the book was to make a kind of farewell story to the Charlton universe's big heroes, but Moore and Gibbons decided to do something different, even though many of those Charlton guys were assimilated versions of the DC multiverse. The parallels between the two sets of character is interesting. Captain Atom is TOTALLY Doc Manhatten, only silver and less of a ... well, dick.
Old 12.06.2016, 11:28 PM   #123
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah i read about that stuff too. Atom and all that.

I do plan to read the Before comics as welll.
Old 12.07.2016, 08:31 AM   #124
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
sev, have you started Unworthy Thor yet? Issue #2 is out now, and it does sound interesting:

Quote:
With his hammer no longer deeming him worthy, Thor is drinking heavily, avoiding sleep, and generally living an unhealthy lifestyle.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...thor-2-review/

I read the preview pages of #1 last month. It seemed cool. But I'm already juggling a lot of current series.
Old 12.07.2016, 08:58 AM   #125
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
sev, have you started Unworthy Thor yet? Issue #2 is out now, and it does sound interesting:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...thor-2-review/

I read the preview pages of #1 last month. It seemed cool. But I'm already juggling a lot of current series.

No man, I haven't started it. I am pretty new to solo Thor, so I think I want to start by reading more of Walter Sinpson's "definitive" run as a proper introduction to the character's solo titles.

I've only read a couple scattered issues from Simpson's Almighty Thor, and that was long ago, so I'm really hoping to get my hands on a TPB of that stuff that isn't the $200+ hardbound omnibus.

From what I've read and gathered from others, it's comparable to Byrne's Superman run in the '80s, and as an extended arc, taken as a whole, it shows the best of all the Thunder god's different aspects (from silly to serious to serious space opera shit. So that's what my priority is for Marvel right now.

I haven't read a comic in a couple weeks. Been super busy
Old 12.07.2016, 02:38 PM   #126
noisereductions
invito al cielo

hey sev, maybe there's a store near you that you don't realize: http://www.comicshoplocator.com/Home/1/1/57/575

Like, there's a place called Toy Vault near me that I had no idea carried comics. (Thought it was a toy store... duh).

There's also the option of buying digital comics if you are still interested in reading new Marvel but can't seem to find any near you.

I'll be hitting my shop tonight. I'll let y'all know what I pick up.
Old 12.07.2016, 03:32 PM   #127
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
hey sev, maybe there's a store near you that you don't realize: http://www.comicshoplocator.com/Home/1/1/57/575

Like, there's a place called Toy Vault near me that I had no idea carried comics. (Thought it was a toy store... duh).

There's also the option of buying digital comics if you are still interested in reading new Marvel but can't seem to find any near you.

Nope. Nada. I mean, yes there's a hobby shop that has comics... I'm friends with the owner actually. He mainly sells super nerdy stuff like Magic: The Gathering and D&D and, y'know, collectible Alien statuettes, but he also has a growing collection of comics that he's purchased from people and he sells them with things from his own collection. So... if you just want a fistful of comics, you can get them there. If you're looking for something specific, you're pretty much SOL, especially if you're looking for all the issues in an arc.

He was in the process of ordering NEW comics on a weekly basis from a distributor, but he had to cancel that because not enough people placed orders to meet the minimum shipment requirements. Would have been a waste.

Then there's the shitty little bookstore that has, like, Batman, Superman, Doctor Who and Archie. And even those done seem to come in regularly. Zero marvel stuff, and honestly not enough of anything to warrant a visit more than once every few months.

I was plowing through digital issues on my iPad for a long time, but it seems to have taken some kind of a shit on me. Thinking about getting a new one.

Quote:
I'll be hitting my shop tonight. I'll let y'all know what I pick up.

Hah. "Y'all." I think it's pretty much just me and you buddy.
Old 12.07.2016, 03:43 PM   #128
noisereductions
invito al cielo

lol. Well, I know Rob and demonrail have posted a bit in here, though now that you mention it I don't think either of them care about issue #2 of the 2016 run of The Avengers. Haha.
Old 12.07.2016, 04:47 PM   #129
noisereductions
invito al cielo

you ever consider a Marvel Unlimited subscription? Think of it as a digital Marvel Netflix. I believe it has all issues 6+ months old. You pay one monthly fee to access em all. May be convenient in your situation where you have no local stores.

Your other option is waiting for TPB's to get collected, I guess. But that takes away the constantly reading stuff weekly, as well as the ability to try one new issue and see if you like a series.
Old 12.07.2016, 07:00 PM   #130
noisereductions
invito al cielo

so here's what I picked up:

Avengers #2 - came out today.

Infamous Iron Man #1 - this is the new series where Dr. Doom is supposed to be reformed and wants to be good. Interesting.

Uncanny Avengers #15 - currently this is on #16. I started at 15 as it is the first in a new story line.

Extraordinary X-Men #13 - carrying on...
Old 12.08.2016, 02:29 AM   #131
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hah. "Y'all." I think it's pretty much just me and you buddy.

Nah, I'm here too. Problem is I can't be doing with capeshit 90% of the time. There's a whole incredible medium there, and all that's being focused on is the latest crap-o-rama edition of a character that is just replaying the same story over, and over again. Ever more STRONGER/RIDICULOUS baddies that can't actually win no matter how strong they are, cos y'know, you're not gonna kill off Superman, Batman etc. and even when they supposedly do it's not for long.

Hit me up when BadgerBoy and PepsiMan do a cross over.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2016, 04:08 AM   #132
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Just picked up Alan Moore's Necronomicon.

It got bad reviews but I'm a Lovecraft fan and always at least interested in what Alan Moore does, so we'll see.

On the 'capeshit' thing, I occasionally dip me toe in but rarely for long. I like mythologies so I enjoy the superhero universe on that level but I'm certainly not a collector. I was buying the Batman Rebirth issues but I think I'll stop and just wait for the TPBs. I wouldn't mind if there was a really good horror comic out there. I might collect those (I have all the Sandman issues) but I don't know of any, so it's mostly just graphic novels. Although of the Superhero comica, I suppose Batman gets close to horror at times.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2016, 08:19 AM   #133
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Alan Moore also recently did a book called Providence. Is that also Lovecraft related?

Y'know it's weird. Love comics. Love horror. But horror comics aren't my thing at all.

That said, I have heard really good things about this Haunted Horror issue that just came out. http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/962793 if yo'ure into horror books, maybe you'd dig it?
Old 12.08.2016, 11:32 AM   #134
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Alan Moore also recently did a book called Providence. Is that also Lovecraft related?

Y'know it's weird. Love comics. Love horror. But horror comics aren't my thing at all.

That said, I have heard really good things about this Haunted Horror issue that just came out. http://comics.gocollect.com/priceguide/view/962793 if yo'ure into horror books, maybe you'd dig it?

Providence is terrible. I actually think Alan Moore's been in a major decline for years. His best stuff always felt like it was commenting on the world around him but now it just seems like a product of his own self-obsessed mind. It's like he's only doing stuff for himself now. Saying that, I'll always check out whatever he's doing, just because.

That Haunted Horror comic looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm after. I love old EC comics and that seems to be in a similar vein. Thanks!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2016, 11:52 AM   #135
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Providence is terrible. I actually think Alan Moore's been in a major decline for years. His best stuff always felt like it was commenting on the world around him but now it just seems like a product of his own self-obsessed mind. It's like he's only doing stuff for himself now. Saying that, I'll always check out whatever he's doing, just because.

That Haunted Horror comic looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm after. I love old EC comics and that seems to be in a similar vein. Thanks!

Have you read his book? Sure he said he's retired from comic books now.

And to be fair to him, he's written three comic books that'll always rank as some of the best books ever. If I had just one of them I'd die a happy man.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.08.2016, 12:15 PM   #136
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

glad to help!

Another possible recommendation is the new Tales From The Darkside series being written by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son). I didn't read it myself (again, not big on horror comics). My wife read issue #1 because she's enjoyed Hill's novels, and said "meh", so take that for what it's worth. It still may be worth looking into for old EC style books.
Old 12.08.2016, 12:43 PM   #137
Severian
invito al cielo

Look to early '00s IDW for some badass horror comics.

30 Days of Night was really something ... even the movie was ok, but the movie only focuses on one storyline. My favorite horror comic EVER is "Juarez; OR; Lex Nova & the case of the 400 Dead Mexican Girls."

It's fucking down and dirty horror noir that's actually scary and it's also FUNNY AS FUCK. The main character narrates his thoughts and actions, out loud, in real time, regardless of who's around or the appropriateness of what he's saying/thinking.

Just fucking great. It has nothing to do with the 30DoN movie or anything like that. It's just the main story in a 30DoN collection called Bloodsucker Tales. Art by Ben Templesmith.

Oh my god it's so fucking good, seriously. They could have made a great movie out of this one story. To this day this stands as one of my favorite comics ever, and it's been a decade since I read it, but I still remember so much about it.

Read Lex Nova, guys. Holy shit. Schizophrenic paranormal Detectives, vampire priests, dead hookers, tequila. Magnificence.
Old 12.08.2016, 01:01 PM   #138
noisereductions
invito al cielo

cool. IDW really puts out some awesome stuff. And just on a tangible note: their paper feels so sturdy and quality.

Still, just not really into horror comics. I don't know.

Last night I read Avengers #2, Infamous Iron Man #1 and Uncanny Avengers #15. All good.

I might dig thru my backlog this week... I'm really in the mood for some 90's comics right now.
Old 12.08.2016, 02:47 PM   #139
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
cool. IDW really puts out some awesome stuff. And just on a tangible note: their paper feels so sturdy and quality.

Still, just not really into horror comics. I don't know.

Last night I read Avengers #2, Infamous Iron Man #1 and Uncanny Avengers #15. All good.

I might dig thru my backlog this week... I'm really in the mood for some 90's comics right now.

Well, this is a thread about comic books and exploring new comic books, so I think you should read at least (at LEAST) the following from IDW, I will read three titles of your recommendation, promise.

These ones here:
• The first "30 Days of Night," if you haven't read it already. It's masterful and beautiful.
• "Juarez; Or: Lex Nova & the Case of the 400 Dead Mexican Girls" found in 30DoN anthology "Bloodsucker Tales" (just that story, not the whole thing)
• "Singularity 7" ... This is sorta horror, sorta sci-fi, sorta superbeing. One short TPB. Super intense and gloriously fucked up in the best of ways.

Alll are drawn by Ben Tenplesmith, written by Niven or Niles (I get them mixed up and it's been a while).
Old 12.08.2016, 02:51 PM   #140
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I've got some credit on the Google Play Store, so I'll see if any of those might be available digitally "for free" for me.

I do own some horror comics, but just not really into them.

I'll have to think about 3 comics to force - I mean suggest - you read. I feel like I have this huge opportunity now. I don't wanna blow it haha.
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth