Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Loren (Mazzacane) Connors
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2006, 06:12 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I was going to put a post on the "bands you want to hear" thread recommending Loren Connors to the world at large, but he really deserves a thread of his own.

He has recently released a 3 x CD retrospective on Family Vineyard, called Night Through: Singles and Collected Works 1976-2004, and it is utterly fantastic.

If you like the idea of acoustic avant-blues, or if you like John Fahey, then you really should give Loren Connors a try.

See HERE for info, including an excellent discography.

I'll try and put some links up later.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 06:14 AM   #2
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I liked what i've heard but it's not enough for me to say that i know his music too well.He's on my permanent list of people whose music i need to listen to more.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 08:07 AM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i have two of his records and i really am left scratching my head about him
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 08:12 AM   #4
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i have two of his records and i really am left scratching my head about him
Which two?
Old 06.16.2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the daggett years and rooms w/suzanne langille
Old 06.16.2006, 08:54 AM   #6
sonicl
invito al cielo

I can understand you scratching your head over Daggett Years, that is a bit of an impenetrable collection. The other one I haven't heard.

The stuff I'm most familiar with is post-1995.
Old 06.16.2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have had trouble getting into him as well.
His track on the Harmony Of The Spheres box set was the most impenetrable side for me.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2006, 05:12 PM   #8
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
I just bought Keiji Haino & Loren Mazzacane Connors vol 2, this will be like the second time I have heard him.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2006, 05:22 PM   #9
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i have mmmr and a possible dawn, a possible dawn is beautiful and very relaxing drony and goodness
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2010, 04:02 PM   #10
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I'm necrophiling this thread, because I'm deep into the 'Night Through' collection that sonicl mentioned, for the first time in a while, and god it is so fucking beautiful. He's not talked about nearly enough here.

Deserves the title of the most harrowingly mournful music I own, but in a way that is ultimately just not at all whiny, but rather just so moving and exiting and fundamentally HUMAN. Pure deconstructed emotion flowing out of the guitar, in ways that never cease to surprise me in its originality and scope. He plays guitar the way Miles Davis played trumpet at his best, and that is to me pretty much the greatest compliment I can give a musician.

I really need more of his stuff than I have now. Any especial recommendations people?
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I have had trouble getting into him as well.
His track on the Harmony Of The Spheres box set was the most impenetrable side for me.

yeah, that too
Old 03.15.2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
I liked what i've heard but it's not enough for me to say that i know his music too well.He's on my permanent list of people whose music i need to listen to more.
Me too.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 03:32 PM   #13
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Me too.

Head on over to the rare and deleted thread then.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 05:29 PM   #14
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Seriously, start with Night Through. It's a collection of singles and other 7", and some other unreleased stuff, and is just a killer introduction to him. It's how I got there. Very accessible compared to some of his stuff.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
sonicl uploaded a few things for me, all of which were awesome, and all of which have now gone to the mp3 graveyard. I keep meaning to buy some actual records of his, but not doing so.

More importantly, has anyone spoken to Mr L ever? If you do so, please send him my regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
More importantly, has anyone spoken to Mr L ever? If you do so, please send him my regards.
Not me. I would like to know how he is. I had his number but lost it when my mobile bought the farm.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 07:28 PM   #17
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
i only have mmmr and the harmony of the spheres compilation, but i'm not that keen on the lmc stuff that's on there.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 07:46 PM   #18
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Not my thing.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 08:20 PM   #19
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
I'm necrophiling this thread, because I'm deep into the 'Night Through' collection that sonicl mentioned, for the first time in a while, and god it is so fucking beautiful. He's not talked about nearly enough here.

Deserves the title of the most harrowingly mournful music I own, but in a way that is ultimately just not at all whiny, but rather just so moving and exiting and fundamentally HUMAN. Pure deconstructed emotion flowing out of the guitar, in ways that never cease to surprise me in its originality and scope. He plays guitar the way Miles Davis played trumpet at his best, and that is to me pretty much the greatest compliment I can give a musician.

I really need more of his stuff than I have now. Any especial recommendations people?

i completely agree w/ yr assessment. i've been a big fan ever since Road Cone started putting out some stuff in the early 90s.

i can wholeheartedly recommend these:

hells kitchen park
crucible
9th avenue

they are utterly beautiful and heart rending.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2010, 08:22 PM   #20
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Not me. I would like to know how he is. I had his number but lost it when my mobile bought the farm.

i talked w/ him a bit two Januarys ago. i was in NYC seeing Neurosis and as luck would have it, he was playing the next night. i'd not seen him since '93 or so, and his Parkinson's has certainly advanced. he's adapted his playing style accordingly. it was a great show.

at Suzanne's request, i put a few shots from that show on his Myspace page.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth